Gas quality. Is cheap low octane gas as good as expensive low octane gas?

LoL at his mower
LoLAh. Honestly know nothing snout ride on mowers. My little MTD push mower hers the cheapest gas I can find. I do nothing special to it when I out it away for the winter. Every spring, without fail, it fires up on the first pull every time. It's not 7 years old. Nothing will convince me putting good gas in that is a good idea in any climate.
Also use the cheap stuff in my 10 year old snow blower. Zero problems. Though ive only used it once since I got my AWD CX5. [emoji38]

You must be the odd man out. All of my yard machines for the past 10+ years have run like absolute crap on 87 octane with 10% ethanol. They sputter and wheeze and are basically gutless. Switch over to 91 and they purr like kittens. There isnt ethanol free gas readily available around here at the pumps.

That's part of my issue too. I don't think anyone even sells ethanol free near me.

Same here. I just add the stabilizer and hope for the best. I have a battery powered trimmer and mower that work well. That company makes a snow blower now so if my gas one starts having problems Ill probably just get one of those. The manufacturer does claim up to 10% is ok .......

Same here. I just add the stabilizer and hope for the best. I have a battery powered trimmer and mower that work well. That company makes a snow blower now so if my gas one starts having problems Ill probably just get one of those. The manufacturer does claim up to 10% is ok .......
Thanks. Starting to think I was crazy. I gotta believe you people running high grade gas in your lawn equipment are the minority here. Maybe not here in this forum... But in general. Lol

And I would say its not for the higher octane but the lack of ethanol. But now even premium here is always ethanol blended .......

Hmm I guess I might try it next time. Not really having problems. Everyone I know who was doing that was back when you could still get it without ethanol. What makes me nervous is that I hear about this move to e15. My snow blower says max e10.

Thanks. Starting to think I was crazy. I gotta believe you people running high grade gas in your lawn equipment are the minority here. Maybe not here in this forum... But in general. Lol

Most definitely in general. I converted one of my coworkers to ethanol free for small engines, but other than that nobody wants to pay more for lawn mower gas.

I think you misunderstood me. I didnt say Mazda eliminated carbon buildup in Skyactiv. Rather it isnt causing wide spread drive ability issues like was the case with the MZR motor. In other words its better mitigated in Skyactiv.

Now Im aware people take their intakes off and say OMG this looks bad. Was the same case with the Ecoboost. With the Ecoboost there were some cases of driveability issues but it seemed to mainly be on cars that were not driven much and I suspect the issue was exaggerated from the engine rarely if ever being brought up to full operating temperature.

Looks bad and car is performing poorly are different things.

If we have to get it cleaned after 60k miles or whatever Ill do that. Im not too worried as there are a lot of folks here into higher mileage that have not started experiencing reduced performance, reduced efficiency, or CEL as a result of buildup.
Driveability issues?! hahaha
Love this guy! [emoji8]

And I would say it*s not for the higher octane but the lack of ethanol. But now even premium here is always ethanol blended .......

Really? Most of the stations I go to have 87 regular, 87 w/ Ethanol, and 91 premium.

Am I missing something that the other 2 have mixed enthanol and not advertising it?

The ones around me have 87, 89, and 91 or 93 all with 10% ethanol. It used to be only the 89 that was 10%. Then they started adding it to the 87 and eventually premium. Im sure there are probably some somewhere that still have non ethanol but when I was filling the tank the last time for the snow blower I tried a few then just gave up looking because I didnt have all day. Which is why I called it rare.

Driveability issues?! hahaha
Love this guy! [emoji8]

I guess Ill try to further clarify. Im in no way saying Mazda has completely solved or eliminated carbon buildup in direct injection.

Rather Im saying the issue is better mitigated in the Skyactiv engines than in the MZR where issues where much more widespread.

Also BWM and Audi/VW of the same period had worse issues than what we see today.

Again not saying 100% solved please understand that.

I dont even think a catch can is a silver bullet and some still have issues even with one.

And there are also people who have well over 100k with no catch can that havent had problems. If they looked would they see carbon buildup? My guess is they would.

Carbon buildup just seems to be a fact of life with DI.

I guess I*ll try to further clarify. I*m in no way saying Mazda has completely solved or eliminated carbon buildup in direct injection.
Rather I*m saying the issue is better mitigated in the Skyactiv engines than in the MZR where issues where much more widespread.
Also BWM and Audi/VW of the same period had worse issues than what we see today.
Again not saying 100% solved please understand that.
I don*t even think a catch can is a silver bullet and some still have issues even with one.
And there are also people who have well over 100k with no catch can that haven*t had problems. If they looked would they see carbon buildup? My guess is they would.
Carbon buildup just seems to be a fact of life with DI.
You are a very wise member sir!!! ^^^^^^(cool)

Generally speaking:....

LOL I guess my suggestion just got ignored?
Now because I respond in this thread all my pop up ads are for gas stabilizers and octane boosters. ROLMAO..
Just because someone has high mileage on an engine does not by any means indicate they don't have a problem unless it is actually looked at! I mean really the people that actually change their spark plugs at 50,60 100k miles claim that same thing that they didn't need to change them because they didn't have a problem earlier ? LOL
A few of you need to come to my shop or go work in a auto service shop for a few months and then come back and post stuff you learn in the real world? LOL
The carbon intake issue is very much still with many BMW's other engine direct port injection and to be more specific the MAZDA Skyactive engines at least up to 2018. The auto manufacture tend to down play it so that I am sure they will not have a re-call issue to deal with before the power train warranty expires? I have already scoped my intake on my 2018 Mazda 3 2.5 with less then 15,000 miles and looked at my intake valves and there is already the signs of ...sheeet that need to be addressed. My engine is solid and in the best performance it can be with frequent service attention long before the recommend advisory from MAZDA. I have also DYNO base line the engine did a compression leak down test at 50 miles,500 miles 3000 miles and again recently indicating that the engine has broke in properly and has achieved the best HP and TQ levels with no modifications. All this is why I have my w/m system to be installed in the upcoming months to keep my engine running at it best levels and output which include MPG. I do only run Chevron premium even though most of the time it is not needed. But I did do a DELTA test with 87 octane and found less MPG on the same route over a 75 mile test vs using premium. What I noted was the timing was retarded and the fueling increased using 87. As for water injection that I have used on dozens of engines since the mid 70's is always been a positive benefit even the primitive martin or even the Edlebrock water injection systems for carbureted engines. I have one on the infamous PRINCE Turbo Charged 1.6 engines 75k miles and a SNOW system completely cleaned the intake system, the carbon on the intake valves and the combustion chambers and tops of the pistons and as an added bonus the exhaust system in less then a month or in miles about 2500! The SNOW system will be going on my Mazda 3 in a month or so when I finish machining a Throttle body spacer for my intake system I engineered and designed.
Water injection works plain and simple and has worked dating back to WWII. ;)

Catchcans ........
I can say that 99% of all the catch cans offered DON"T WORK as claimed. A main reason why I never even tried to engineer and offer one through my business and if you read the ads from the vendors ,suppers and manufactures their is a lot of implying and not any real facts about the catch cans true factual abilities. LOL But you all can blow your money any way you choose.

[url=https://postimg.cc/mzWcv85y][/URL]

[url=https://postimg.cc/svgBCBwq][/URL]

Last edited:
Alright, this is a very interesting subject, short answer, it depends a lot on different things. First, you need to check which octane number your car is made for and make sure to use it only it. Now depending on your location, a higher octane can be better or worst for the engine. Some areas allow the use of certain chemicals to pump up octane number which is cheap but will decimate your engine over the long term. Also, I disagree about what was said about COSTCO's gas, at least where I am from it is not the best. The car has less fuel efficiency on Costco's gas. Shell is a little bit better but EXON I find the best for fuel-efficiency. Also, note that I am talking about the same octane gas here. I think it depends on how much ethanol they mix in. As a rule of thumb, the less ethanol in your system the better for your engine and efficiency. I also have been checking out some garden tractors and I had to learn a lot about gas. Apparently, in some of the tractors, you need to put oil in the gas tank. I didn't know that but if you put some oil in your car gas tank it is going to preserve the engine. Ask at Walmart they should have it there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't read the this whole thread, so don't know if it was mentioned, Costco is top tier, and around here, the best price - best of both worlds.

Top Tier only in all my engines. Cleaner injectors and combustion chambers so say major manufactures.

Back