Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: INTAKE valve crud

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Top_Her View Post
    Could be that the impact of the junk on the valve does not affect performance enough to make a difference, or at least a noticable difference to most. Personally, I notice any changes in the operation of my engine and how it generally performs under a given circumstance (feel and hear, monitor gauge). I want peak power performance always.
    Yeah, that was kinda my point. Even if there is build up, it is not having a negative impact on performance and fuel economy. Don't know if it is happening or not but don't really think it makes a difference.
    2014 Silver Mazda CX-5 GT
    2017 Eternal Blue Mazda 3 Touring
    2018 Machine Grey Mazda CX-9 Signature

Donated: $45
    CX Moderator

'15 CX-5 Miata GT AWD w/Tech 2.5L

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    Still waiting for promised picture of vacuum hose where we can spray some head cleaner into the valve area ⋯
    Sorry. Here.

The easiest way for most is to simply undo the fresh air hose atop the air intake hose and spray into it.

A more thorough method (also get's into vacuum pump to clean more of the vacuum system and PCV) is pictured below. Now, I have a tee (3/8th I believe) on mine because I've installed a vacuum manifold. Stock cars will have a 90 degree elbow here that connects the larger hose at the top of the T to the vacuum pump, and the smaller hose on the left to a port that's directly past the throttle body and before the intake manifold. If you buy a pack of Tee connectors from Vatozone you can simply put the T in whenever you want to use a head cleaner, and remove it when finished. I don't even think the OEM elbow/hose uses clamps its just tension from sliding it on. The cleaner would go in on the right side (circled in red) of the tee. 8Again, the hose on the right in the picture is not OEM, and it's where you would add the head cleaner. When done, just replace the stock 90* elbow.

Registered Member

02 R53

Walnut blasting is the only thorough way. Getting adapters ready for the need...if/when it comes.

Registered Member

2016 CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by dougal View Post
    Yeah, that was kinda my point. Even if there is build up, it is not having a negative impact on performance and fuel economy. Don't know if it is happening or not but don't really think it makes a difference.
    Impact impact impact....
    Before cleaning the intake port and valve from full tank to 3/4 of the fuel gauge, i manage to get 90 to 100km+-.
    After cleaning i manage to get 130 to 140km. Im on my 4th tank since cleaning same same results nearing 3/4, getting 120km.

Donated: $45
    CX Moderator

'15 CX-5 Miata GT AWD w/Tech 2.5L

Quote Originally Posted by minsanity View Post
    Walnut blasting is the only thorough way. Getting adapters ready for the need...if/when it comes.
    This photo is confusing.. you mean to tell me you/someone removed the head to access the ports? That looks like part of a rebuild.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

02 R53

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Top_Her View Post
    This photo is confusing.. you mean to tell me you/someone removed the head to access the ports? That looks like part of a rebuild.
    Nah, that's a borrowed 1.5 SkyG head off a salvage yard for port templating. Still on the lookout for a 2.0 & 2.5. The Sky-specific walnut blast procedure won't need engine nor head removal, of course.
    Last edited by minsanity; 01-11-2019 at 08:13 AM.

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Driver 1 View Post
    Impact impact impact....
    Before cleaning the intake port and valve from full tank to 3/4 of the fuel gauge, i manage to get 90 to 100km+-.
    After cleaning i manage to get 130 to 140km. Im on my 4th tank since cleaning same same results nearing 3/4, getting 120km.
    So that is a good example of the build up causing an impact. What triggered you to do the cleaning?

With that said, I think the point remains. If people are not seeing big changes in performance or efficiency, that either means that for most people 1) there is no buildup or 2) if there is buildup, it is does not have much of an impact.

Based upon your report (n=1) I would assume point 1 is the case.
    Last edited by dougal; 01-11-2019 at 11:37 AM.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2016 CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by dougal View Post
    So that is a good example of the build up causing an impact. What triggered you to do the cleaning?

With that said, I think the point remains. If people are not seeing big changes in performance or efficiency, that either means that for most people 1) there is no buildup or 2) if there is buildup, it is does not have much of an impact.

Based upon your report (n=1) I would assume point 1 is the case.
    IMPACT!
    Bruh i thought the 90km at 3/4 tank was normal. Stop lying to yourself that there is no gunk on your valve its a gdi engine. Accept its affecting your car. Come on accept it.
    Last edited by Driver 1; 01-11-2019 at 12:32 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12