Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: INTAKE valve crud

Donated: $10

Mazda CX-5 FWD Touring

INTAKE valve crud

MAZDA has attacked the DI problem by, keeping the intake valve temperature up. It appears that ir is a step in the right direction but, not completely successful based on BITOG responses. Has Mazda made any improvements in the 2019 engines to alleviate the problem entirely? Ed

Donated: $45
    CX Moderator

'15 CX-5 Miata GT AWD w/Tech 2.5L

Can be addressed with a head cleaner through the vacuum system. Also good for the Pcv system to help keep valve from getting stuck. If you are the don't do anything until there is a problem type a manual cleaning might be required
    Last edited by Chris_Top_Her; 01-01-2019 at 01:59 AM.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow INTAKE valve crud

Quote Originally Posted by erhayes View Post
    MAZDA has attacked the DI problem by, keeping the intake valve temperature up. It appears that ir is a step in the right direction but, not completely successful based on BITOG responses. Has Mazda made any improvements in the 2019 engines to alleviate the problem entirely? Ed
    No.

Like Kedis82ZE8 said, Toyota's new 203~206hp Dynamic Force 2.5L does implement both direct and port fuel injection systems which should help to minimize such issue.

Arrow INTAKE valve crud

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Top_Her View Post
    Can be addressed with a head cleaner through the vacuum system. Also good for the Pcv system to help keep valve from getting stuck. If you are the don't do anything until there is a problem type a manual cleaning might be required
    Still waiting for promised picture of vacuum hose where we can spray some head cleaner into the valve area ⋯

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5

Awkward video. Blow-by described backward from what really happens. I quit watching.

How about a pic of a Sky-Active Port/valve at 30k miles?
    '06 MX-5 6MT, Custom Sprung Ohlins, Tomei LSD
    '16.5 CX-5 T AWD w/more Soul
    IBA/COG Desmoquattro for pleasure

Registered Member

cx5 gt +pp 2018

may be wrong but the lack of many videos with cx5,cx9 for valve carbon issues vs so many videos for ford, bmw, etc....may either mean its not that big of a deal for newer mazdas or mazda just did not sold that many as ford,bmw. etc...which is also true. time will tell when we get many high milers in the next few years to come.
    Highest miles cx5 I have read/found on the net is nearing 200k miles no issues from that perspective.

Arrow INTAKE valve crud

Quote Originally Posted by ColtX-5 View Post
    Awkward video. Blow-by described backward from what really happens. I quit watching.

How about a pic of a Sky-Active Port/valve at 30k miles?
    Quote Originally Posted by cz5gt View Post
    may be wrong but the lack of many videos with cx5,cx9 for valve carbon issues vs so many videos for ford, bmw, etc....may either mean its not that big of a deal for newer mazdas or mazda just did not sold that many as ford,bmw. etc...which is also true. time will tell when we get many high milers in the next few years to come.
    Highest miles cx5 I have read/found on the net is nearing 200k miles no issues from that perspective.
    You can see a couple of videos in this thread posted by felixd. His CX-5 has only 18K miles (28.9xx kms) but the condition on intake valve deposit looks bad!

Video Cleaning Intake valves CX 5 Skyactiv Gasoline engine

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by cz5gt View Post
    There was a guy who looked had some issues at ~20K miles but I would assume that was an anomaly. If I remember correctly, I am not sure why he took his engine apart to check the valves!

My CX-5 is close to 120K miles and I can't tell you what the valves look like. However, I can tell you that my gas mileage and overall engine performance is basically the same as it has been for the first 119.9K miles!
    2014 Silver Mazda CX-5 GT
    2017 Eternal Blue Mazda 3 Touring
    2018 Machine Grey Mazda CX-9 Signature

Registered Member
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 GT FWD, 2015 Mazda 3 Touring

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    You can see a couple of videos in this thread posted by felixd. His CX-5 has only 18K miles (28.9xx kms) but the condition on intake valve deposit looks bad!

Video Cleaning Intake valves CX 5 Skyactiv Gasoline engine
    This was an odd one. If this were the norm, there would be far more pictures and video of this. There are hundreds of thousands of these engines on the road now.

Arrow INTAKE valve crud

Quote Originally Posted by craigo View Post
    This was an odd one. If this were the norm, there would be far more pictures and video of this. There are hundreds of thousands of these engines on the road now.
    It’d hard to please everyone. felixd took his time to make an intake video to show people but some is questioning his motive.

Here’s another thread showing the condition of intake with pictures on his CX-5 by Driver 1. Again with 15,625 miles (25000 kms) it looks bad too.

Oil, Carbon build up palooza!

When we see so much oil mixes got intercepted into the catch can based on experience from Chris_Top_Her, we know these findings are legit.

Arrow INTAKE valve crud

Here’s the picture of intake valves from Driver 1 at 20,525 miles even though he installed a catch can at 15,625 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Driver 1 View Post
    UPDATE: after installing catch can at 25000+km, now at 33000km+
    Amazing results!!!!!! it magically cleaned the intake port and valve!

just kidding, i think it got worse haha

could be that i never cleaned the intake manifold fully, i remember there was a pool of oil in when i reinstalled it (pure laziness )
    or the catch can is ineffective

Registered Member
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 GT FWD, 2015 Mazda 3 Touring

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    It*d hard to please everyone. felixd took his time to make an intake video to show people but some is questioning his motive.

Here*s another thread showing the condition of intake with pictures on his CX-5 by Driver 1. Again with 15,625 miles (25000 kms) it looks bad too.

Oil, Carbon build up palooza!

When we see so much oil mixes got intercepted into the catch can based on experience from Chris_Top_Her, we know these findings are legit.
    I'm not questioning his motives, I question whether or not its a common issue.

This brief BITOG thread has several knowledgeable people with no issues, including a couple of techs that see lots of cars. https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...Valve_Deposits

I don't know whats caused some of these seemingly uncommon level of deposits. Environmental factors and driving style may have something to do with it.

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by craigo View Post
    I'm not questioning his motives, I question whether or not its a common issue.

This brief BITOG thread has several knowledgeable people with no issues, including a couple of techs that see lots of cars. https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...Valve_Deposits

I don't know whats caused some of these seemingly uncommon level of deposits. Environmental factors and driving style may have something to do with it.
    Yeah, and I would even question if it has an impact. I mean, why would someone do a valve job on a car with 20-30 K miles unless it had some performance issue. I don't believe that in any of those threads did they mention why actually looked at their valves. So ever if their valves look like that, it might have zero impact. Not worth thinking about.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Donated: $45
    CX Moderator

'15 CX-5 Miata GT AWD w/Tech 2.5L

Could be that the impact of the junk on the valve does not affect performance enough to make a difference, or at least a noticable difference to most. Personally, I notice any changes in the operation of my engine and how it generally performs under a given circumstance (feel and hear, monitor gauge). I want peak power performance always.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

Red 2016 CX-5 GT Teck Isense

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Top_Her View Post
    Could be that the impact of the junk on the valve does not affect performance enough to make a difference
    This, don't worry about a little oil in the manifold or on the valves, it does not restrict flow enough and the restriction only impacts wide open throttle if at all. The loose oil will be drawn into the engine and burned.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast