Thinking of trading up from 2016 CX-5 GT to either a CX-9 or new CX-5 turbo ?

That'd encouraging. I'm still at a 21 mpg average after 200 miles of neighbor hood driving with some interstate thrown in. The car has 5700 miles on it so it's broken in. So far I'm loving it. It would be interesting to see how much quieter the 2019 is because this thing even with 20" boots is still very plush and quiet. I guess they added thicker floor mats? Only gripe so far is my infotainment screen has failed to boot up a few times already. I'm getting the Carplay/android installed tomorrow so maybe that will fix that. Kind of annoying but not major. I'm not sure why I read so many complaints about the seats not being adjustable enough and not being able to tilt the front of the seat up. Mine does that and maybe it's because I'm a smaller guy but I did the drivers seat very comfortable and adjustable. Best feature of the car so far ( in addition to the handling and power which is plenty) is the head's up display. To me that is a major safety item. Not having to look down or around to check things is fantastic. Not sure why many hate it and defeat it. Different strokes I guess.

I'm with singlemalt_18 and pholway. With about 10,000 kms on the odometer, I made a 1,300 km (800 mi) trip across two provinces this summer. Two adults and an infant with about 1,300 lbs of cargo. Average mileage for the trip was between 10.5 and 11 L/100km (22.5 to 21.5 mpg) on Shell 91 octane. I used the active cruise control as much as I could, and my speed varied between 100-130 km/h (60-80 mph) most of the time. I've got 17,000 kms on the clock now and I average 12.4 to 13 L/100km (19 to 18 mpg) with 90/10 city/highway. Mileage has been good for me.

I feel like the CX-9 is a hidden gem. IME, people tend to write it off as "just a Mazda", but as soon as they ride in it (or see it clean), their perception changes significantly. Their initial reaction during the first drive was the same as mine: "This is a Mazda?!" (2thumbs)

I can't wait to get my summer wheels on. The OEM 20s are heavy as hell, so replacing them with lighter wheels will improve throttle response and mileage.

EDIT: Also, the 2018 was the first year that they added the thigh adjustment, and it's driver's side only. GVC was also added in the 2018 MY, along with increasing the 3rd row ingress/egress width by a few inches. Some other minor stuff was made standard as well.

Last edited:
I'm not sure my 2018 USA version has a driver seat thigh adjuster. Although I find it odd that many of the critic's only beef with the CX-9 was the drivers seat was not adjustable enough and they could not raise the front of the seat bottom. I can do that on mine. I just use a twisting motion clockwise on the lower seat adjuster and the front tilts up a bit. At 5 ft 8 inches medium build I have no problem finding a comfortable seating position. In fact I can find several.

I agree that it is a hidden gem. Every time I drive it I am surprised at how nice it is in every way. Now it's all about reliability.

That'd encouraging. I'm still at a 21 mpg average after 200 miles of neighbor hood driving with some interstate thrown in. The car has 5700 miles on it so it's broken in. So far I'm loving it. It would be interesting to see how much quieter the 2019 is because this thing even with 20" boots is still very plush and quiet. I guess they added thicker floor mats? Only gripe so far is my infotainment screen has failed to boot up a few times already. I'm getting the Carplay/android installed tomorrow so maybe that will fix that. Kind of annoying but not major. I'm not sure why I read so many complaints about the seats not being adjustable enough and not being able to tilt the front of the seat up. Mine does that and maybe it's because I'm a smaller guy but I did the drivers seat very comfortable and adjustable. Best feature of the car so far ( in addition to the handling and power which is plenty) is the head's up display. To me that is a major safety item. Not having to look down or around to check things is fantastic. Not sure why many hate it and defeat it. Different strokes I guess.

Have you reset your milage on the Apps page ??

Have you reset your milage on the Apps page ??

No I have not. Is this different information that the on screen A-B trip meters? I need to spend some time on that screen. I know it has the bar graphs and such.

Great choice with the CX-9!

I considered the CX-5 before I got mine, but I knew I wanted the extra power of the 9 (the turbo CX-5 was not formally announced yet). It truly is a vehicle that punches above its weight. It has a lot of luxury design elements and features that provide a lot of value for the money. The cost-cutting measures can be found if you try to find them, but overall they're not too obvious and really don't detract much from the experience. The CX-9 also drives like a smaller vehicle because Mazda has done such a great job focusing on making it a driver's car. Coming from a BMW 335i sedan, this was really important to me.

I wish I could get gas mileage like some here are quoting! I probably average closer to 20-21 MPG with mixed driving, but I think that's more because the area I live in has relatively higher speed limits (45-55), but also more stoplights for some reason. So my stop-and-go requires more accelerating in local driving which kills the gas mileage. My best runs have been on longer-distance highway cruising around 60-65 MPH where I've seen around 26 MPG.

Otherwise, I have one big complaint (which is relatively easy to address, but not exactly cheap), so here's the long rant:
My main complaint with the vehicle is Mazda's choice of OEM all season tire. I've driven through several Wisconsin and Minnesota winters and my worst experiences have been with manufacturer-selected Bridgestone all seasons. My BMW 328 coupe had Bridgestone Turanza runflats and the CX-9 has Bridgestone Dueler Ecopias and both have been awful in the snow. Not all Bridgestone all seasons are so bad in the snow though, I've had good experiences with Bridgestone DriveGuard runflats on another vehicle.

Otherwise, I've driven through blizzard-like conditions on the interstate with snow accumulated on the ground in a FWD VW CC with the OEM Continental all seasons on that car (I forget what model they were) and I felt more sure-footed in that than I do with the Bridgestone Ecopias in my CX-9.

Mazda's AWD system is pretty good and compensates to some extent, but that only helps in situations where I'm applying throttle, not when I need to stop or turn off throttle. I am also a "threshold" driver in that I apply throttle and braking as needed up to the point just before the electronics need to kick in (like traction control or ABS) which makes a difference in things like stopping distances and initial take-off.

To some extent, I understand I could always adjust my driving style to help compensate, but other drivers on the road with all seasons on even larger vehicles do noticeably better than I do in similar turning/stopping maneuvers and it's been a bit frustrating dealing with these tires in some of the wintry weather we've had here this year so far. My CX-9 is less than a year old and that makes it even more frustrating to think that I would have to spend ~$1000 for new tires, mounting, balancing, alignment, etc. to remedy this.

That said, "your mileage may vary" always applies. Others believe the Ecopias to be fine, others have pointed out that they can be particularly sensitive to overinflation (~1-1.5 PSI over even making a difference in driving capabilities), etc. I'll give the Ecopias credit as well in being perfectly fine in warmer weather, even in the rain as well. They're just not nearly as good as other all-seasons I've used in the winter.

All that said, the CX-9 itself is a generally excellent vehicle. Congrats on your purchase and I hope it brings you many happy miles and years of driving!

Mine came with the Falkens and I think this is the first set of this brand that I've ever had ( lots of cars). They look like your basic all season tire and seem to be fairly quiet which is very important. The ride is pretty smooth considering the tire size and profile. I won't know how good or bad they are until I replace them to compare. At that point I will probably go with the Continental True Contact. Those replaced the OEM Toyo's on the 2016 CX-5 and transformed the whole ride. Great tire. That or the Michelin A/S 3 plus all seasons will be next. Hope I get a good 40-50k out of these as it will be expensive at these sizes..

Back