Thinking of trading up from 2016 CX-5 GT to either a CX-9 or new CX-5 turbo ?

Montanaman

Montana/Arizona
:
2018.5 CX-9 AWD GT
First post in here..looking for some real world experience.

I have a 2016 CX-5 GT AWD/tech package that is approaching 4 years and 40k miles. We've had no issues other than the few recalls and the LED headlights failed ( common problem) which thankfully happened under warranty ($2300.00 !). The car is everything it is cracked up to be. All the reviews I saw 4 years ago were spot on. "Perfect in almost every way except it could use a bit more power." It's mostly my wife's car but I'm a car enthusiast and I want the best product out there. I've always been a fan of Mazda and currently I think they are offering some of the best vehicles out there, and both the CX-5 and the CX-9 are both very solid offerings in that segment. For my needs they are the best. The only other car that has my attention is the new Tiguan but I just don't think I can trust it. Don't like the new Rav4 or Highlander.. Not into the CVT thing so that eliminates those.

Reasons to trade it in (or sell it outright) are mainly more power and more room. We are a family of 2 mid-sized adults and two dogs so don't need a 3rd row ever. Could use the additional rear space. We put about 10k miles a year on the car mostly in the rural mountain west. Very little stop and go. Very high speeds. 3k of those annual miles is towing my motorcycle from across country ( about 1800 lbs trailer weight). The CX-5 tows it fairly well but climbing mountain passes is a struggle at times. With the loaded mid-size Thule box on top and interstate speeds of 75 mph the average MPG is a not surprising 17 MPG. I am guessing that the CX-9 would be far better suited to this type of driving and get better gas mileage to boot as the additional torque won't make the engine work that hard. I also think the CX-9's size and weight will make the highway driving experience more planted and comfortable. Yes the CX-5 will be more fun in the twisties but that is a small percentage of driving. At times the CX-5 feels just a touch small to me. Especially when doing battle with triple trailer's at 80 mph on the interstate. I assume the bigger 9 will remedy some of that.

Enough rambling.. Key questions for those who have had or driven both.

Does the CX-9 feel noticeably more substantial,quiet/planted and powerful than a CX-5 with the NA 2.5 engine?

What real world MPG difference will there be in my type of driving?

Any issues that are common on the CX-9 ( like the LED headlight issue on the gen 1 CX-5)?

Anybody go from a 5 to a 9 and regret it? Vice Versa?

Big question is when will Mazda do a full Re-do on both of these vehicles? Its now a 4 year old model (3 for CX-5)

Bottom line is there are new 2018 Cx-9 GT's and Signatures out there for 40k ish. The 2019 CX-5's Reserve and Sig's are going to be 37-39k and no real discounts for awhile. So on paper to me it looks like the CX-9 is the way to go.

It will cost me roughly 20k to upgrade either way. Is it worth it or should I wait a year and see what shakes out?

Thanks and I promise to be more brief in the future..

I went from a 2014 CX-5 GT AWD to a 2018 CX-9 Signature and am very happy with the move. We still have the CX-5 as well. The CX-9 is a much more substantial car. The door is solid and shuts with solid thunk, which the CX-5 (even the new ones) does not do.

The car is smooth and fluid feeling. Incredibly quiet, even compared to the CX-5 Signature. The power is there when you need it and it will move when you want it to. One reason I wanted the CX-9 is that we do 4-6 I-95 trips (up and down east coast) and the CX-5 felt a little tinny at times. The CX-9 will eat up those miles and will allow us to do that much more peacefully.

The 2019 has the 360 camera, CarPlay and vented seats. I got the 2018 for 37.5K and they threw in the CarPlay but I thing the 360 camera and vented seats are of value and I have a little regret not getting the 2019.

So yes, I would highly recommend the CX-9.

Thanks for the reply. Kid of what I thought. There is a 2018 CX-9 GT AWD (a must for me) close by. I'm going to take a look at it. From what I can tell there are no "packages" available for the GT on the CX-9 so does it come with the Tech package stuff, Active cruise, LED lights etc? There is also a Signature at the same dealer. Few bucks more. I love the look of that Auburn upgraded leather. Do those than have it love it? Huge difference in feel and durability? I notice the "leather" in our CX-5 shows some wear on front seat bottoms where your legs hit. I'm guessing the regular leather in the CX-9 is the same material as the CX-5.

It's hard to justify trading in this CX-5 as it still feels as good as the day I bought it and I'm one of the odd ones who actually likes the Gen 1 styling and handling more than the new one ( non- turbo of course). I guess I'll know when I drive the CX-9 and see if it's worth the difference.

Thanks for the reply. Kid of what I thought. There is a 2018 CX-9 GT AWD (a must for me) close by. I'm going to take a look at it. From what I can tell there are no "packages" available for the GT on the CX-9 so does it come with the Tech package stuff, Active cruise, LED lights etc? There is also a Signature at the same dealer. Few bucks more. I love the look of that Auburn upgraded leather. Do those than have it love it? Huge difference in feel and durability? I notice the "leather" in our CX-5 shows some wear on front seat bottoms where your legs hit. I'm guessing the regular leather in the CX-9 is the same material as the CX-5.

It's hard to justify trading in this CX-5 as it still feels as good as the day I bought it and I'm one of the odd ones who actually likes the Gen 1 styling and handling more than the new one ( non- turbo of course). I guess I'll know when I drive the CX-9 and see if it's worth the difference.

Honestly, I absolutely love the auburn leather. It just feels nice and the wood trim is very well done. I only was interested in the signature level.

Montanaman, the CX-9, while starting as a 2016 has only been out since spring 2016. It came out a year later than other 2016 models. Mazda should've called it a 2017. So it's just about 2 2/3 years old, not 4. There won't be a new CX-9 until around 2023. Which would still be a much shorter life than the 1st gen.

Even if you don't need a 3rd row, I would absolutely go with the CX-9. It's indeed a much more substantial vehicle but not much more money compared to a turbo CX-5. Remember the 1st gen CX-5 was before Mazda really got on its game with refinement, sound insulation, etc. It'll sound/feel like a tin can compared to a CX-9.

As for the signature, I absolutely love the soft auburn nappa. Well worth it IMO.

Montanaman, the CX-9, while starting as a 2016 has only been out since spring 2016. It came out a year later than other 2016 models. Mazda should've called it a 2017. So it's just about 2 2/3 years old, not 4. There won't be a new CX-9 until around 2023. Which would still be a much shorter life than the 1st gen.

Even if you don't need a 3rd row, I would absolutely go with the CX-9. It's indeed a much more substantial vehicle but not much more money compared to a turbo CX-5. Remember the 1st gen CX-5 was before Mazda really got on its game with refinement, sound insulation, etc. It'll sound/feel like a tin can compared to a CX-9.

As for the signature, I absolutely love the soft auburn nappa. Well worth it IMO.

Thank you for the response. As far as model years on the CX-9 I was just referring to 4 years being 2016's 17,18 and now 2019 all on the road. I did not realize they debuted that late in the model year. Oddly enough I just got back from the store and there was both a brand new ( dealer plate) CX-5 Signature ( white ) parked right next to a soul red CX-9. The CX-9 looked bigger than I thought. It really is a full size vehicle. The new CX-5 looks bigger than my 2016 but will still feel a little small inside and driving. Just a shame they are not bringing the CX-8 here (yet?). Put the 2.5 turbo in it, get rid of that 3rd row and I'd be all over it. I bet they'ed sell very well here.

I've watched dozens of video reviews from these "expert" reviewers on both the CX-5 and CX-9. The only two real demerits they hand out are no panoramic sunroof and dated infotainment set up. I disagree with both items. A standard size sunroof is all I would want or need in this type of car. They never get used that much anyway. I don't want a glass roof on my car. Less structural rigidity,adds weight and lets in a ton of heat in the summer. I'm not sure if all these SUVs have sunshades to cover all that glass. They leave that detail out. As far as the infotainment goes it is not that bad or dated. With the addition of CarPlay and Android/Waze compatibility I think the Mazda product is just fine. I like the MMI knob ( or what ever it is called) I came from an Audi and a BMW that had it so I know it and I like it. It's proven and it works. And it keeps your eyes on the road. I like new "tech" as much as the next guy but I do not need a computer propped up on my dashboard. It's not like every other driver on the road is already distracted enough with their phones going all the time so lets create even more complex and hard to use systems ( looking at you RDX) so peoples eyes are off the road. The safety item that all new cars should have is HUD displays. I have one on my Corvette and it is a no brainer. I never have to take my eyes off the road. Should almost be treated like lane departure and all the other nannies. It should just be included as such.

Both the new CX-5 ( turbo or not) and the CX-9 are very well thought out and finished products. It's a mystery to me why so many over-look this brand as a whole and that these do not sell much better although I must say I am seeing a lot more in the last 2 years so they are making a dent. I test drove a new CRV the other day and I thought I was going to fall asleep. Yes the engine has some pretty good punch for what it is and the cargo space is generous but after that I was bored.

I just picked my ( ours .. mostly wife car) 2018 CX-9 GT AWD in machine gray/black (stunning in my opinion). As fate would have it one of the Mazda dealers here in Phoenix had a dealer driven car with 5000 miles on it so I was able to eliminate most of the drive off depreciation. I met the GM who had been driving it. Mostly highway miles. Car is in pristine condition. Sold as new as it had never been titled so everything starts today. I had them pull a CarFax to see any history ( I always do this even on a brand new car... you never know ) and saw that the windshield had been replaced ( Mazda OEM glass I checked) . Stone chip apparently unless there was some other problem with the glass on these cars. There was an oil service done a month ago so it's ready to rip. The dealer had added some type of paint ceramic coating, tinted widows and some protection film on the door edges and door cups (a must). Those costs went away but nice to have on the car. They let me take the car home over night so she could drive it and I could look it over.

They gave me a very fair trade in for her 2016 CX-5 GT (car was in top shape with 38k miles and they wanted it) and between the general discount for the car having the miles and the Mazda employee price and a few other rebates I got the car for roughly 34.5k before taxes. I don't pay state sales tax because I am a Montana resident so a couple nuisance fee's and I'm driving her home for a little over 35k. (Sticker on the Moroni sheet was $44,115). I'm good with that. They are installing Apple Car Play and roof cross bars as part of the deal Tuesday. I also got another year of warranty so 4 full years of B to B. I got lucky. They had what I wanted and they needed it gone and they wanted the old car (they already had a buyer lol). Transaction was seamless and one of the best experiences I've had at this and I've had more than 25 of them.

As far as the car it's fantastic. No disrespect to the CX-5....its a great car and if they hadn't made the cargo capacity so small I would have gotten the new Reserve ( and probably would have paid about the same money). The CX-9 is in another class as far as the driving experience goes. No you can't toss it around as aggressively on a mountain road as the CX-5 but how many miles do you do that type of driving? Road noise is minimal, ride is firm yet compliant. Like all Mazda cars it inspires confidence behind the wheel but this car is a luxury SUV in all sense and purpose. I was just in a new MDX top trim Hybrid and I think the cabin in the CX-9 is more classy and opulent. It's just well done and everything feels like butter. I'm still mystified why this brand speaks to such a relatively small audience. They are great cars and this is the 'flagship" and it feels like the best of what they got.

So far in about 120 miles I'm averaging about 20 mpg which seems a little low considering most of that was freeway travel at 65-75 mph. I'm going to need to see that number improve a bit. I've seen some say they get as high as 28 on the highway but that's going to be a stretch at anything over 70. I will do a real world test next time I fill it.

So thanks and sorry for the long post. This forum helped me make my decision. I looked at or read enough to know that this is the best in this class regardless of money. Highlander was close but the all new one is here next year and this one does not even tough the driving dynamics of the CX-9. Hyundai blew it with the design of the new Sante Fe in my mind so that was out, and the Honda Pilot, while very nice and likely to hold it's resale value better, just fell short to me. The fact that she liked the CX-5 the best tipped it in.

Great car and I hope it's as reliable as the last 3 Mazda's I've had.

I have pondered on making the switch to a CX-9, and enjoyed reading your comments. I look forward to hearing an update after a while.

Enjoy it, and also, great job on the frugal purchase... jealous here.(hippy)

I just picked my ( ours .. mostly wife car) 2018 CX-9 GT AWD in machine gray/black (stunning in my opinion). As fate would have it one of the Mazda dealers here in Phoenix had a dealer driven car with 5000 miles on it so I was able to eliminate most of the drive off depreciation. I met the GM who had been driving it. Mostly highway miles. Car is in pristine condition. Sold as new as it had never been titled so everything starts today. I had them pull a CarFax to see any history ( I always do this even on a brand new car... you never know ) and saw that the windshield had been replaced ( Mazda OEM glass I checked) . Stone chip apparently unless there was some other problem with the glass on these cars. There was an oil service done a month ago so it's ready to rip. The dealer had added some type of paint ceramic coating, tinted widows and some protection film on the door edges and door cups (a must). Those costs went away but nice to have on the car. They let me take the car home over night so she could drive it and I could look it over.

They gave me a very fair trade in for her 2016 CX-5 GT (car was in top shape with 38k miles and they wanted it) and between the general discount for the car having the miles and the Mazda employee price and a few other rebates I got the car for roughly 34.5k before taxes. I don't pay state sales tax because I am a Montana resident so a couple nuisance fee's and I'm driving her home for a little over 35k. (Sticker on the Moroni sheet was $44,115). I'm good with that. They are installing Apple Car Play and roof cross bars as part of the deal Tuesday. I also got another year of warranty so 4 full years of B to B. I got lucky. They had what I wanted and they needed it gone and they wanted the old car (they already had a buyer lol). Transaction was seamless and one of the best experiences I've had at this and I've had more than 25 of them.

As far as the car it's fantastic. No disrespect to the CX-5....its a great car and if they hadn't made the cargo capacity so small I would have gotten the new Reserve ( and probably would have paid about the same money). The CX-9 is in another class as far as the driving experience goes. No you can't toss it around as aggressively on a mountain road as the CX-5 but how many miles do you do that type of driving? Road noise is minimal, ride is firm yet compliant. Like all Mazda cars it inspires confidence behind the wheel but this car is a luxury SUV in all sense and purpose. I was just in a new MDX top trim Hybrid and I think the cabin in the CX-9 is more classy and opulent. It's just well done and everything feels like butter. I'm still mystified why this brand speaks to such a relatively small audience. They are great cars and this is the 'flagship" and it feels like the best of what they got.

So far in about 120 miles I'm averaging about 20 mpg which seems a little low considering most of that was freeway travel at 65-75 mph. I'm going to need to see that number improve a bit. I've seen some say they get as high as 28 on the highway but that's going to be a stretch at anything over 70. I will do a real world test next time I fill it.

So thanks and sorry for the long post. This forum helped me make my decision. I looked at or read enough to know that this is the best in this class regardless of money. Highlander was close but the all new one is here next year and this one does not even tough the driving dynamics of the CX-9. Hyundai blew it with the design of the new Sante Fe in my mind so that was out, and the Honda Pilot, while very nice and likely to hold it's resale value better, just fell short to me. The fact that she liked the CX-5 the best tipped it in.

Great car and I hope it's as reliable as the last 3 Mazda's I've had.

Congrats on your new ride!!! I'm sure you'll enjoy and love driving it long term...

Congrats on your purchase. They are great cars. Ive already put 50k miles on my 16. That said, You will never come close to 28 mpg in that car. 25 is the max I have ever seen on a tank and that was all highway, no cargo babying it at 71 miles an hour.

Congrats on your purchase. They are great cars. I*ve already put 50k miles on my 16. That said, You will never come close to 28 mpg in that car. 25 is the max I have ever seen on a tank and that was all highway, no cargo babying it at 71 miles an hour.

I am getting 23-24 MPG in just city driving so far (19 MPH average speed). Have not taken it on the highway yet but so far, am happy. What are you getting in the city?

Congrats on your purchase. They are great cars. I*ve already put 50k miles on my 16. That said, You will never come close to 28 mpg in that car. 25 is the max I have ever seen on a tank and that was all highway, no cargo babying it at 71 miles an hour.

Yeah, I've never come anywhere close to EPA estimates. Doesn't concern me too much, just figure it's because I can't drive below 80 mph on the highway. CX-9 feels like it's going 55 at 80. I average closer to 19-20 MPG.

I can see after 600 miles that your probably right. 22-24 will be the max on western interstates where speed limits are sometimes as high as 80 mph. It's the trade off for the heavier car/turbo but that kind of negates Mazda's rational for having a 4 cylinder in this car. I get that they didn't want to develop any type of V-6 at this point but its a shame that they couldn't pound out a few more MPG's on the highway. I guess another gear or two could help if it knocked the rpms down a bit at higher speeds but it is what it is. Actually I looked at a site that showed the money difference between 30 mpg and 24 mpg and it's not as substantial as I thought it would be.

I have 45k miles on mine and I drove to Florida and back from Maryland over the Christmas holiday - 2200 miles in all. I averaged 19.6 MPG with 3 passengers, a packed roof box and a half filled cargo area.

Thats pretty solid if you ask me; the roof box decreases mileage so all in all pretty good.

After 2,800 miles, I've found that the AWD 9 can deliver results better than the EPA estimated 26 highway. My overall total consumption average is about 24.8 to 25 mpg. A large portion of my driving has been highway/travel related with two adults and 4-piece luggage equivalent. Under optimum conditions I generally like to run 75-80 mph. I have also been fairly aggressive with use of the ACC which Im sure is a factor in some of the results Ive tracked. I have also been using 93 octane.

Under almost laboratory conditions along Route 12 in the outer banks of NC, I got a print of 29.9 on a nearly 200 mile day. This was all ACC with max speed set about 63. I know it could have ticked 30.0 if we hadnt run out of road, and back into traffic and lights in Nags Head. Just after Christmas I got another 200+mile print of 27.9, and this time it was actual Interstate miles between Norfolk and Fredericksburg VA. Once we entered the congestion approaching F-burg, the print started back down.

With the about town stop and go miles, as well as terrain of PA and mountains, I am very pleased my overall mileage.

That'd encouraging. I'm still at a 21 mpg average after 200 miles of neighbor hood driving with some interstate thrown in. The car has 5700 miles on it so it's broken in. So far I'm loving it. It would be interesting to see how much quieter the 2019 is because this thing even with 20" boots is still very plush and quiet. I guess they added thicker floor mats? Only gripe so far is my infotainment screen has failed to boot up a few times already. I'm getting the Carplay/android installed tomorrow so maybe that will fix that. Kind of annoying but not major. I'm not sure why I read so many complaints about the seats not being adjustable enough and not being able to tilt the front of the seat up. Mine does that and maybe it's because I'm a smaller guy but I did the drivers seat very comfortable and adjustable. Best feature of the car so far ( in addition to the handling and power which is plenty) is the head's up display. To me that is a major safety item. Not having to look down or around to check things is fantastic. Not sure why many hate it and defeat it. Different strokes I guess.

Back