2014 2.2 CX-5 Diesel misfire or stutter

Jamesbil

:
CX-5
Hi all,

New here and hoping for some advice. Recently purchased a 2014 Sport NAV AWD Diesel with 105k miles on the clock. Full Mazda history.

It has developed a stutter or misfire when cruising, not on acceleration. Kind of feels like dirty fuel but I had it serviced at Mazda and they have told me they have replaced the filter.
It is intermittent too, recently drove 70 miles, first 50 were fine then spluttering for the last 20. Same day it drove home the 70 miles fine.

Plugged it in to 3 different diagnostics, no codes.

Till the other day when the engine management light came on. Code was P0098, IAT2 Sensor high.
Removed the sensor, really dirty, cleaned it and cleared the code.

So far still seems to have the same symptoms.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
James

Of course theres no misfire from your 2.2L diesel as there's no spark plugs.

Although we have no diesel CX-5 here in the US, my guess for what you've experienced on stutter could be diesel particulate filter (DPF) regeneration process which is happening randomly to burn up the exhaust soot on the DPF.

Although we have no diesel CX-5 here in the US, my guess for what you've experienced on stutter could be diesel particulate filter (DPF) regeneration process which is happening randomly to burn up the exhaust soot on the DPF.

Its happening too much to be DPF regen.

Its happening too much to be DPF regen.
Based on Anchorman who has owned both gen-1 and gen-2 diesel CX-5 in UK, he said DPF regen happens too often on gen-1 CX-5 diesel, but has reduced frequency on gen-2 dramatically. May be you can seek some PCM software update to reduce the DPF regen's.

Hi, I'm experiencing exactly the same issue and I in faact believe it happens during DPF regens. Does anyone know how to get this resolved? Mine is 2014 Sport Trourer, 2.2 diesel skyactiv engine

common rail diesels rely heavily on the injectors (fuel control) and data from various sensors.
With that said bad diesel is known to clog injectors over time.
don't look at codes but may be try to look at live data and injectors and sensors data when it happens.

I'm waiting for obd reader to arrive from China, once it's here I will certainly try to check that. My car stutters at idle when dpf is regenerating. It also does regeneration every 70/80 miles which is quite short distance even for Mazda's

if you drive lots of city that would be normal. These dpf systems life extends primarily when driving highway.
The city traffic does not work well for the dpf as it has to enable regeneration more often.
In order for the crap to burn in dpf exhaust it needs high temps which are easy to achieve on highway speeds. In city its a problem so the regen part has to kick in to increase the temp and unclog the dpf part before the catalyst.
There are pressure sensors before and after the dpf/cat, as well as temp sensors. All that plus the dpf ecu and the 'dpf liquid' plays a role too.

Here in Australia KE diesel models are the worst engines on mazda. Mazda Australia is replacing those with issues under warranty with KF engines. They are doing like 10-15 a week. Too many issues and fails.

Hi @Jamesbil, I bought a CX-5 with 100k on clock, diesel 2.2 awd skyactiv bla bla. Had issues as soon as I bought it exactly as your problem. It was under warranty so we took advantage to have the techs look for the issue. They couldn't find anything at first but I was persistent and finally after three times of taking the car home and driving it for a day then forced to return to service, the problem happened with them driving it. Turned out to be the high pressure fuel pump. I'm waiting to get the car back to test it out again and make sure it actually was the high pressure fuel pump. It was apparently a very expensive part the guy said to me 6000 dollars which I didn't have to pay for because warranty but honestly I reckon 6k for a pump is total garbage lies.

Make sure to change the diesel filter frequently going forward and use quality diesel if available.
The diesel HP pump and the common rail injectors are usually the most expensive items, whether it would come to 6k I don't know but more than 1000 is my bet and changing is also painful sometimes.

Back