Thread: 2018 cx5 GT Seatbelt squeaking when it runs against the leather seat **anyone else**?

Registered Member

2018 cx5

2018 cx5 GT Seatbelt squeaking when it runs against the leather seat **anyone else**?

I have a 2018 cx5 gt. I noticed a couple days after getting a squeak sound from the left of my driver front seat when I moved around. I found it was the seatbelt squeaking when it slid back and forth on the leather seat. The part Iím talking about is the part the goes across your stomach, if you look itís where itís hooked to the base on the floor behind the driver seat and sits against the bolster on the seat when you buckle in. I ended up putting a piece of felt on the belt so the felt slides on the seat instead and squeak is gone.
    Anyone else have this problem? What have you done ? Or anyone have this squeak that canít digits out what it is. Thatís what it is.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Zeromarine; 12-30-2018 at 02:58 PM.

2019 CX-5 GT 184 2.2 diesel auto - Sonic Silver

It seems odd but I guess it*s the way your body presents it to the seat. I think I*d start by wiping the seat with some Meguires leather wipes. Dead cheap in Walmart and they are really good at conditioning the leather. That might stop it squeaking on the belt. Don*t put anything on the belt other than very mild soap water solution.

Registered Member

2018 cx5

Ya I tried doing that and it seemed to make it worse. Iím only 170lbs skinny build so Iím in the average for how the belt would be sitting.
    Ya itís strange why it does it, only started a few days after I got it. The felt on the belt seems to be working perfect at this time so Iíll oribably just leave it for now. When the weather gets warmer I may try conditioning it again and see if it continues.
    Thanks for the advise I will try it in the spring.

Registered Member

2018 cx5

I tried the leather conditioner and it made it actually worse. No matter who sits in it it does the same thing. Oh well the felt on the belt seems to be working perfect. I canít believe Iím the only one on here that has this problem. Maybe most people donít pay attention?

Registered Member

cx5 gt +pp 2018

I had the same issue.
    Fixed by putting velcro (the soft part) on the sides of the mehanism and now its soft when it touches the seat

Registered Member

2018 cx5

Quote Originally Posted by cz5gt View Post
    I had the same issue.
    Fixed by putting velcro (the soft part) on the sides of the mehanism and now its soft when it touches the seat
    Itís not the buckle Iím having a problem with itís the actual seatbelt material. The part of the belt thatís anchored down to your left the lap part of the belt runs against the left side bolster of the seat and when the belt material slides back and forth on the seat leather it squeaks. I can post a picture also if needed.

Registered Member

cx5 gt +pp 2018

My mistake then. With me the buckle was producing the noise.
    I havent noticed issues with the belt itself.
    may be due to seat position?
    I have mine set at lowest and set to back as much as possible. I extend the steering wheel as well.