Thread: 19 w AA & AC. Move usb from armrest box to console tray?

Registered Member

19 CX-5 Signature

19 w AA & AC. Move usb from armrest box to console tray?

Stoopid idea putting USB port for phone connection in the armrest box. Thinking about doing something to move it to the console tray under the stack, even if itís just snaking cable under the console (at least until out of warranty). Have it pop out of the console trim - maybe finish it off with a nice black cable grommet?

Anyone do anything related?

Registered Member

cx5 gt +pp 2018

may be get extension cable, plug in armrest , under the side covers (to hide it)and move/attach in the tray with velcro?
    thats what I did.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5 Turing 2018

I had the same idea before I DIY my upgrade. It turns out that there is no space behind the console tray back wall. So it ends up with some sticky clips on the right side of the gear box, which guide and hold the 1 meter USB wire from armrest box to the console tray.

Registered Member

2007 Mazda 3 5-door

Yeah I am really not happy about how they set it up, the most obvious place for the phone is in the front bin, really ridiculously bad design. I love my new CX-5 overall but the whole center console is kind of a disaster TBH. Cup holders awkward to reach, small-ish storage bin (like a vertical pit), armrest is too far back and canít slide forward, super scratchy piano black trim all over the shifter area, and that crazy USB connection position (which is also too low voltage to charge the phone quickly).

By contrast my wifeís 2017 Honda Civic, while being a smaller and cheaper vehicle, has a much nicer, larger, more comfortable, more flexible, and more usable center console.
    Last edited by Nigel Tufnel; 01-06-2019 at 03:37 PM.

2018 Mazda CX-5 Touring with PP

Did the same thing very soon after installing AA. So much more logical now. What I purchased. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078LRSZDB..._uUQmCb84H6ZM7
    Last edited by Corbin628; 01-06-2019 at 09:31 PM.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5 Turing 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Tufnel View Post
    Yeah I am really not happy about how they set it up, the most obvious place for the phone is in the front bin, really ridiculously bad design. I love my new CX-5 overall but the whole center console is kind of a disaster TBH. Cup holders awkward to reach, small-ish storage bin (like a vertical pit), armrest is too far back and canít slide forward, super scratchy piano black trim all over the shifter area, and that crazy USB connection position (which is also too low voltage to charge the phone quickly).

By contrast my wifeís 2017 Honda Civic, while being a smaller and cheaper vehicle, has a much nicer, larger, more comfortable, more flexible, and more usable center console.
    It's all due to the dial/konb panel. Without it you can move cup holder forward, larger center box and a real armrest.(currently, my arm can only rest on the top of my cup)

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5 Turing 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Corbin628 View Post
    Did the same thing very soon after installing AA. So much more logical now. What I purchased. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078LRSZDB..._uUQmCb84H6ZM7
    Nice solution!