Is that an oil leak?

Firstimebuyer

:
CX-5 Touring
I am considering buying my first car ever. I have my eyes on a CX-5 2016.5 Touring model. It has 46k miles and is being sold by Avis rental car. They claim they inspect the car in details and while i could not find any leaks or fluid drops before or after i test drove the car, i noticed some oils around the oil filter. I am planning to take it to a mechanic shop for an independent review of the car but wanted to get your thoughts. Here is the oil spread under the car (below passenger seat): https://youtu.be/g473ePKk2yo

You can do waaayy better than this! First off, buying a used rental car is the automotive equivalent of a "pig in a poke". You have no idea how it's been treated or maintained and the very fact that it's got a serious oil leak (not a common malady of Mazdas) is not a good sign. I assume you removed the plastic oil pan/filter access cover to get a look at those components. If not, then that part of the body undertray is missing and another indicator of poor maintenance practices on the part of Avis. In summary, run and hide from this vehicle!

In all honesty it looks to be be a sloppy oil change job. That said you never know how they maintained the car coming from Avis.

Good call. Leaking oil filter, sloppy oil changes, who knows. Sucks that the cover is missing. I dont think I made that big of a mess when I accidentally spilt about a cup of transmission fluid in my van. Even then I cleaned it off with a rag lol.

Looks like it's leaking ABOVE the filter.
Don't even think about this car.

I bet the filter is not speck for CX-5

Trying to decipher the label on that filter, but it looks like a Motorcraft filter.
Whether it's the right one for the CX-5 is hard to tell without a model number.
I'm in Canada, but isn't this the brand that's sold at WalMart in the U.S.?

Looks like it might have been leaking from the drain plug (not uncommon) and blown around a bit. Pass on it.

Trying to decipher the label on that filter, but it looks like a Motorcraft filter.
Whether it's the right one for the CX-5 is hard to tell without a model number.
I'm in Canada, but isn't this the brand that's sold at WalMart in the U.S.?

It's a Motorcraft filter and odds are it's correct for the application. Every forum I've ever been on fosters the myth that their engine requires some special voo-doo design filter with a magical/proprietary check valve or the engine will suffer a horrible death. These are not high tech components and are easily replicated to oe specs by any number of filter manufacturers. That's probably the least likely cause of an oil leak such as that pictured.

Honestly, its immaterial, imo. This vehicle has made you doubt it already, and you dont even own it. Id avoid it for peace of mind, regardless, at this point.

It depends what they want for it but these rentals leave the rental company at *deprecated asset* prices and as long as that is passed on they are worth a look. If they are being retailed at a dealer at the going rate, walk away. That oil looks to me as it is coming from the plug too (stated above) and there is something further up but that might be clumsy filling - it*s worth investigation. Out of every 10 ex rentals, a couple will be statistically unscathed so if you get them at the right price and do the right checks they can be absolutely fine. It needs thorough check of the interior, exterior, wheels and things like the shields underneath etc just to assess what would put it right. I wouldn*t dismiss one even if it was being sold at retail price as long as a reputable dealer had put it all to square one and it checked out OK. You need to know what you are looking at so if you don*t know for sure, you can*t get an expert second opinion or it doesn*t check out then do what the majority seem to be advocating and give it a miss.

By the way, I wish more people would go to the trouble of making a little video like that to accompany a question. It makes things so much easier.

The mechanics gave that car no love, lazy bums. And I'm sure Avis didn't care. Offer $9,000.00. Say the oil cover is missing, it has a major oil leak, the wrong oil filter was used and the wrong oil, there is some under carriage rust and probably parts will need replacing that have been contaminated with oil. Then you have $6,000 to get it fixed. And if you are lucky it is just a loose oil plug and you get a great car cheap.
If they say no, we can't go lower than 12K then say you will think about it and walk away.

Last edited:
I would never consider buying a rental car. Those things quite often are ridden hard and put away wet. I'm sure the rental company will adhere to the minimum level of maintenance, but is that really what you want for your personal vehicle?

It's a Motorcraft filter and odds are it's correct for the application. Every forum I've ever been on fosters the myth that their engine requires some special voo-doo design filter with a magical/proprietary check valve or the engine will suffer a horrible death. These are not high tech components and are easily replicated to oe specs by any number of filter manufacturers. That's probably the least likely cause of an oil leak such as that pictured.

It says Motorcraft FL 816 if that helps
I was just trying to read the brand name on the filter. I didn't see the model number, so thanks for that anyway.
I know nothing about Motorcraft filters, so voicing any opinion would not be in my best interest.
I'll leave it up to the experts on here to determine whether that filter is any good, or whether it may be harmful.

The only opinion I'll express is based on my personal experience with rental cars:
I would never buy one as a personal vehicle, as I believe that they are not treated well or maintained properly.
Happy New Year to all.

I would never consider buying a rental car. Those things quite often are ridden hard and put away wet. I'm sure the rental company will adhere to the minimum level of maintenance, but is that really what you want for your personal vehicle?

I bought a rental with 28k miles on it. Im at 102k miles and going strong, the only issues from highway debris and that one creek I crossed...

Back