Slow NA Pro5 build

Well I got the car out of the garage finally, only took 2 months haha. Did a lot of cleaning, didn't find any of my tools of course. Started raining so I kinda rushed putting everything back in so it's clean but still a mess. Drove around the neighborhood for a bit, man it was like my first time driving the car again. Compared to the truck everything is so delicate and twitchy, the throttle was the hardest to get used to again, tinas throttle cable is all old n stretched so you just kinda flutter the pedal to get going. After driving around I realize almost no exhaust is making it out the tailpipe and it's just dumping out after the down pipe. It's terribly raspy, I sound more like all my civic neighbors than how yeller used to sound. So I gotta get a door and gotta fix that leak, oh and finish putting on the bumper and getting a tailight. I always forget about those, damnit and I gotta finish painting the small patch on the back door. I felt so accomplished till I started writing this up. After pulling the stereo and speakers I have this gaping hole in the dash so I think ima read up on the tablet dash thingy and see how that works. Well the garage is clean(ish) the car still runs that's a day for me haha

Don't have any doubts about what you accomplished! Between the bodywork on your car after the guardrail incident, interior cleaning, dropping in the header, and that other lines/wiring bit of work you had, I'd say you've done a lot.

Just like you though, I got a lot on my plate, and hopefully can get stuff done in a timely manner

Thanks man, I just caught up on your build. Sounds like you got your hands full, all my suspension is blown out and clunky as hell. I believe it's stayed together because I havnt touched it, rust might actually be helping me there lol. I kinda fear the day I get to put in some new fancy swaybar or something. I tend to break things as they come off the car, it's a talent of mine [emoji23]. I love your build man, it shows the real struggles of working on our cars. Luckily there's lots of awesome builds going on, not all are active anymore but they're full of info.

... I believe it's stayed together because I havnt touched it, rust might actually be helping me there lol

I'm in the same boat. lol

This is how I fixed my exhaust down pipe.

I'm sure I would have had to replace my entire exhaust otherwise, including the pre-cat and sensors.

It's working great though!!
New doughnut gasket and no leaks for at least a couple of years now.

I had my ebay intake held on with a 40 pack of zipties, taking the logging roads everyday. If it works it works right? I had my neighbor help me look at it today, he's a civic guy but he's chill I swear [emoji23]. He wanted to take a quick drive in it, did a couple 2nd gear pulls down the empty straight away ( no houses, no kids, the motorcycle guys show up once a month and do mini drags down it). It's the neighborhood tenth mile lol, anyways on the second run we hit one of the more decent sized potholes and VIOLA! The down pipe clunked and popped into place, I guess I had it kinda tweaked and it wasn't mating up quite right. So it sounds allot better, still raspy so ima look into some mufflers and try to clean it up. It still leaks a little bit but a new donut gasket and it'll be good to go, I'll worry about that after I get a door and tailights. I also noticed a bunch of rusty water coming out the tailpipe, about 2 cups worth. When I parked it, it was covered in snow and sat for 3 months, could this be leftover condensation that sat in the tailpipe or is this a more troubling sign?

Also on the water issue, I didn't see any water dripping from the new header when it was still misaligned so not coming from the engine?

... I also noticed a bunch of rusty water coming out the tailpipe, about 2 cups worth. When I parked it, it was covered in snow and sat for 3 months, could this be leftover condensation that sat in the tailpipe or is this a more troubling sign?

Snow and rain may have blown in there and made a puddle.

I can't remember if I did it to my car now but you can drill a little 1/8" hole in the muffler at it's lowest point to drain off the water and help stop rust.

Hehe muffler, I could drill right before the subframe. My pipes are all old and rusty, I wanna do a full corksport exhaust, but $$$. Maybe one day, for now I guess I'm drilling holes thanks pcb
396ea8f76b48e24cd9622f68ff3dff75.jpg

Your're welcome. ☺

Actually, thinking about it now, I'm gonna check my exhaust and drill a hole if there isn't one there.

Drilled a hole just before the subframe and my word I had a puddle the size of a basketball after this clip. My phone took the brunt of it, completely covered in rusty water. I'm gunna have to get my girlfriend to record a sound clip, my phone is such garbage. I honestly want to get a new one just to take some decent pictures and record some quality sound. I would have tried to get a better clip but my neighbors don't really like me revving up for 20 minutes just to get a decent video. Once I get a door I'll have to take a video at Wal-Mart or something haha, they have a huge lot with no one parking in the back. I used to see a couple 370s or 350s sliding around at night, that only lasted a week lol

I checked my muffler and didn't find a hole so I drilled one in.

A close up of the hole (it's hard to see).
No liquid came out if the hole.

PS.. you should get a water proof phone.

I'm thinking you've just got water and rust in your muffler but if you're worried about engine problems, you could taste the water coming out.

If it tastes sweet, it's antifreze. If it just tastes rusty you're fine.

PS.. spit it out.
It's poison.

I'm thinking you've just got water and rust in your muffler but if you're worried about engine problems, you could taste the water coming out.

If it tastes sweet, it's antifreze. If it just tastes rusty you're fine.

PS.. spit it out.
It's poison.

How big a hole did you drill? I used a 1/8 bit. I started it up again to try this but I think I might've gotten all the water out. I had cleaned up what came out before and after a couple quick revs there wasn't anything more than a light mist hitting the concrete. Soooo engine good, or well.... It runs the same as before so [emoji23]. I'm pretty sure I need to clean my EGR and I know I gotta do a ignition tune up. My idle quality is not the smoothest

How big a hole did you drill? I used a 1/8 bit. I ...

I used the smallest drill bit that would fit in my chuck without falling out. (I don't know what size it was ?)

... I started it up again to try this but I think I might've gotten all the water out...

The water could be stuck between the baffles in the muffler.

A good hot run should blow it out and boil it off.

Check your overflow tank to see if it's low.

Well lots of little things done today, I finally got the bumper on, gutted the wrecked door and started to paint all the small damage. The bumper I rigged in pace with a couple washers and zipties, I had to drill out most of the clips because the were stripped. The passenger side bumper mount is cracked and sags down a half inch, so I put some washers on the get the gap closer. It's not perfect but it looks tons better. The door I had to cut open to get to all the nuts and bolts, it was a royal pita. Sanded the hell out of the scuff marks on the bumper, it's not flush and it's not getting any filler so I got all the big noticeable bumps down. Now I wait till tomorrow for some yellow, oh also got the battery mount back on. I had to leave the cover off because it's bigger than the battery now and won't clamp down with it on.
0a41760a3a8226383a6122c3cebed9f1.jpg
19b41204a6065610251d355183216235.jpg
96335afa4536701b184295216d804c5c.jpg
b80eed97d9052a81f11c5656cf8a281b.jpg
fbac2b8de3af1000520e9023111b88d7.jpg
706eb9d1576028dba7f8e89bf99e62ca.jpg
1a78c16b1802487495dce36e012689f8.jpg
1f6f23f3b85b47fefa5ec7fb9bd2bf40.jpg
83279ecf30cfdf40837cb8d5e48ab887.jpg
6df64ca0347f3cb736b4005a268163b3.jpg
1f7bd96bc0a6a91381bfd66bdce42b51.jpg

glad to see you fixing her up!
Bit by bit, ziptie by ziptie haha it'll get there eventually. I'm thinking of trying to get into rallycross and using yeller to thrash on and learn with a platform I already know. How has your build been going? Anything new?

Back