VersaTuner - tuning software for Mazdas
VersaTuner - tuning software for Mazdas
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Slow NA Pro5 build

Pro5

Looks great man, you gunna grind off the little brackets on the front of the VC too? And adjustable wrench on the cams!

2002 mazda protege 5

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie chan View Post
    ... And adjustable wrench on the cams!
    Or two of them and a vise-grip if you want to do this when you install your T-belt.

The Diagram Dude

Registered Member STudMUffin1177's Avatar

Mazda protege5

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie chan View Post
    Looks great man, you gunna grind off the little brackets on the front of the VC too? And adjustable wrench on the cams!
    Ima leave them for now so I can keep the plug wires looking clean, and all my actual tools are in the work truck so I'm screwed till Monday. All I have is a mismatched half set of wrenches, one tiny crescent, and a bunch of half inch drive sockets that should be with my work tools lol. And yo pcb, that is the greatest backwoods contraption I have ever set eyes on, I'm definitely gunna try that just cuz it looks crazy cool[emoji23]
    Sunburst 02 pro5 200k+ miles
    Mystery 4-1 header, mystery short ram, moog control arms, moog front endlinks, moog tie rods, moog trailing links, tein lowering springs, gutted interior
    All about them stickers, crumpled panels, and mismatched paint yo

2002 mazda protege 5

I found that picture after I did my T-belt. It would have saved me a lot of headache.

The cams are "spring loaded" about one tooth out of synch. The wrenches keep everything lined up.

One guy had a plastic tool that held the cams but he said it just bent and wouldn't hold the cams.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Mazda protege5

Quote Originally Posted by pcb View Post
    I found that picture after I did my T-belt. It would have saved me a lot of headache.

The cams are "spring loaded" about one tooth out of synch. The wrenches keep everything lined up.

One guy had a plastic tool that held the cams but he said it just bent and wouldn't hold the cams.
    That's what I call engineering right there. And making progress towards painting, just doused it in brake clean, then it's taping and painting
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2002 mazda protege 5

Guess it was something like this.

Don't buy one. They're junk. lol

2002 mazda protege 5

There's timing marks on the back of the cam gears too.
    Might help when you clamp your vise grips.

Mazda protege5

That's funny I was looking at those exact ones on Amazon yesterday and decided against it because it's plastic lol looks like I made the right choice

2002 mazda protege 5

I didn't know (or notice) there were hexes in the camshafts either when I did my T-belt.

I had wrenches on the cam gear bolts holding one with my left hand and one with my left elbow while putting the T-belt on with my right hand.

Try doing that almost a dozen times without getting passed off. lol

(I was off by one tooth over and over)

Mazda protege5

Cams, out
    Valve cover, painted
    Knuckles, bruised
    Satisfaction, 100%
    Finally got the cams out and the valve cover painted. The cams were suprisingly tight even after all the caps and bolt were out, but with the trusty mallet and flathead all ended well. Shout out to Lankykiwi and Pcb with their awesome know how, really appreciate the help guys. Next up is finding the right size Allen socket and poppin that head off baby. I have my fingers crossed hoping everything is sound inside (the engine was dropped twice in front of me so who knows how much impact damage it has actually taken) I don't have high hopes considering it's over 20 years old and stored in a very leaky shed we were building rack in, but minus some slight wear in the cam journals everything so far has been solid and surprisingly in good shape. And I gotta say I kinda miss the 'polished' aluminum look the valve cover had going

Mazda protege5

Gotta clean the garage lol

2002 mazda protege 5

Quote Originally Posted by STudMUffin1177 View Post
    . And I gotta say I kinda miss the 'polished' aluminum look the valve cover had ...
    Me too !!

I think you should remove the paint and clear coat the aluminum.

Mazda protege5

Me too !!

I think you should remove the paint and clear coat the aluminum.
    [emoji115][emoji115] This is why we do build threads
    That's a genius idea man I'm definitely trying that on my current engine, ima swap the valve covers and clean up that one.

Mazda protege5

Sorry guys no update yet, instead I have a question for you guys. Does anyone know if any parts from the 626 intake manifold will swap over to the fsde mani? Stuff like the throttle body, fuel rails, egr valve, etc.

Mazda protege5

Well I did a bit of digging and didn't find very much. So ima just hit up the for sale section when I have the cash. Anyways I've just been researching head porting and and the valvetrain, I'm thinking about having speed circuit port my head. I need to call them and see if they cater to NA applications (I'm pretty sure what they offer Is for turbo applications), but Damn this is all expensive. I really just need 20 years to tinker in a decked out shop with all the goodies. I'm kinda missing having access to the shop at the quarry, now I'm stuck with Wal-Mart tools and my boss's welding truck[emoji23]

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast