Made in USA and Free Shipping on all orders shipped inside the US.
Made in USA and Free Shipping on all orders shipped inside the US.
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: Slow NA Pro5 build

Registered Member

2001 Mazda SP20 323

Exhaust work is fun! Make sure you weld as much as possible with everything in the car and in the place you want it, exhausts have a habit of twisting if you weld them on the ground lol. V bands will be a nice touch too, much easier to work with than flanges or donut fittings!

Registered Member STudMUffin1177's Avatar

Mazda protege5

That was my thought with the v bands, the work trucks flanges are warped and leaks even with new donut gaskets. I figured a big hose clamp style connector would be more up my alley. I've watched a couple YouTube videos lol let's see how far that gets me haha
    Sunburst 02 pro5 200k+ miles
    Mystery 4-1 header, mystery short ram, moog control arms, moog front endlinks, moog tie rods, moog trailing links, tein lowering springs, gutted interior
    All about them stickers, crumpled panels, and mismatched paint yo

Mazda protege5

Boom tubes are here!
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2002 mazda protege 5

I had to Google that...

That Sounds Fricken Cool !!

Go create your tube dude !!

Lol
    Last edited by pcb; 10-26-2019 at 10:32 PM.
    The Diagram Dude

Registered Member

2001 Mazda SP20 323

Those slip flanges are going to make it super easy to build! Nice looking muffler too, are you planning to run a tip?

Mazda protege5

Lol that's just what my grandpa called em, kinda funny theres an actual reference to the saying. The muffler looks nice but is pretty cheap, the welds looks really clean though. As of right now I'm not gunna run a tip because I can add that later and because all my piping is mild steel so I need to do a bit of research about welding stainless to mild steel. I'm thinking I should have gotten a res as well, I'll find out on Saturday
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Comp Engineering Student Riot_Polizei's Avatar

2002 Mazda Protege5

Now this is going to be interesting...can't wait for the video detailing the exhaust note!
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    ■ Sunburst Yellow ■ Black Rear Valence ■ Injen Cold Air Intake ■ Racing Beat Catback Exhaust ■ Moog Front Endlinks
    ■ Megan Racing Rear Strut Tower Bar ■ Racing Beat Rear Sway Bar ■ Mazda6 Front Big Brakes ■ Foglight Deletes
    ■ OBX 4-1 Headers ■ MP3 ECU ■ VTCS-less Intake Manifold ■ Mishimoto Aluminum Racing Radiator + Fan Shroud
    ■ AWR Trailing Arms ■ Eibach Lowering Springs

Mazda protege5

Well I managed to get the trailing links, rear swaybar, spark plugs and coil packs on. Exhaust is up but is unfinished due to muffler fitment and the fact that it sounds like a wet fart now lol. Rasp is there but what's worse is the buzzing and coughing when I let off the gas. So bright side, rear end feels great, tune up, no more bouncing exhaust. All in all pretty good weekend, I have a bullet res on the way, I'm throwing it on the straight and then trying with and without the fartbox on the back. Took a good look at the control arms while I was down there. I pulled some measurements while it was on the ground and found that my control arms are still straight, a little roughed up but still all good. I also saw I have no wheel weights on half the wheels, might be that wobble I'm feeling. Right rear trailing link was indeed bent, but not at a terrible angle so it wasn't too hard to get out. I had a stripped plug in cylinder 4, had to get an extractor kit. Plugs were all burnt up, 2 had no electrodes left. Couldn't swap the valve covers because the 626 didn't have top mount coul packs so the holes are not drilled n tapped. Pictures to come tomorrow and a wheel balancing as well, hopefully the suspension will be as smooth as I remember.

2002 mazda protege 5

Quote Originally Posted by STudMUffin1177 View Post
    .. I had a stripped plug in cylinder 4, had to get an extractor kit...
    The spark plug ?

Is your cylinder head stripped ?

Heli-coil now ?

Mazda protege5

The hex head on the spark plug was stripped and my socket only hit the very top of the head head. Seems my socket was to thick to get in between the plug and the walls. Worked on the other 3 but cylinder 4 might have some weak threads and I'm thinking I tightened it too much and sunk it down into the hole.

Plugs are in order from cylinder one to four, I'd say it was about time lol

Donated: $25

LX, MSP 1145

with those spark plugs I'm surprised your car even ran
    Be happy!

Comp Engineering Student Riot_Polizei's Avatar

2002 Mazda Protege5

Oof man, I can hear the "fartbox" just through you words X^D

When I had an exhaust leak, I was too embarrased to drive around. That rasp just wasn't something I was in to. However, if you've ever watched Best Motoring or Hot Version, you'll find that those highly-tuned Civics sound like beehives. I guess at the end of the day, it's about the overall performance of the vehicle, and not the sound

Well hey, glad you were able to perform a tune-up, and good thing your control arm isn't as boogered as you thought it was.

Good luck with those other parts!

Mazda protege5

It's really sad how 4 bangers sound, I got a resonator to try to dampen down the rice lol, might have a shop weld it in if my coworker doesnt feel up for it. Honestly I dont know how my car stays running, its maintanance is almost non existant until 2 years ago. I've driven it almost everyday for 5 years and then weekly for another 2 (not including the 6 months after a certain guardrail incident XD) I also got all my wheels rebalance and they found a flat spot in the front driver side tire. So new fronts on and I now have 2 spares at 50% and one at like uh 20%..? Its pretty low. Ordered new calipers from powerstop for the front and some "rebuilt" rears, I swear if these ones are bad I'm gunna lose it haha. Shocks feel really rough up front now that everything else is settled and not twacked out, just gunna run it for now until I get a chance to get some king springs (aye). Might have a small leak in the exhaust somewhere, I suspect a vband or the front header flange. I trust my buddies welds, I dont trust the "God knows how old" donut gasket and the rear vband which has a buttload of pressure on it because I messed up the front hangers and they sat too low. I ended up putting too much pressure on the rear hangers to keep it up off the subframe but now it might be coming back to haunt me. Happens mostly at 3500to3700rpms and inconsistently throughout the revs above that. Sounds very similar to brake pads lightly dragging and because it only happens at partial throttle or 3500rpm I know it's the exhaust. Still tons of work to do but suspension is slowly getting there. OH! Almost forgot to put this in, I absolutely LOVE awr's trailing links. Those along with putting back in the rear swaybar makes the rear end so tight. It gets a little rough sometimes but my oh my is it a world of difference. Contrary to how squishy and soft the rear felt without a sway bar and stock links, it's now super tight and the biggest difference........ lack of understeer. After a couple weeks of no rear sway bar I kinda got used to the feeling but now even when I throw the car into a turn it doesnt instantly slide. The front feels much more planted and no more massive roll in the rear. Love it, it just feels right you know?

2002 mazda protege 5

Quote Originally Posted by STudMUffin1177 View Post
    Ordered some "rebuilt" rears, I swear if these ones are bad I'm gunna lose it haha.
    Check them be before you install them.

Remove the little bolt and make sure you have the adjuster screws underneath.
    Make sure the adjuster screw moves the piston in and out.

There's a stop at the bottom but don't blow out your piston at the top I don't know if it goes that far.

It depends on how they're rebuilt.
    They might just throw in a new piston and seals and not check this stuff.

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819