Slow NA Pro5 build

Well I did a bunch of digging on the seller and it seems to be a part warehouse in aussy. The part numbers match up, they have good reviews but also a couple bad ones (enough to seem legit but not too much to be like woah F*** that). 323 does tein sell stock ride height springs? All I can seem to find are lowering springs. I've been looking around for a bit now and cant seem to find any aftermarket springs at stock ride height. I want the extra ground clearance so I'm not bottoming out in the mud and lumps. If I remember correctly from a week ago eibach sells a stock height spring kit, but I think they are quite a bit stiffer than stock(?) From what I've gathered from the few rally protege builds I've dug up king springs seem to be the way to go on stock shocks. I'd like some nice yellowspeed "rally" coilovers or maybe BC, I understand that's still pretty much entry level stuff but it's 3x the price of the kings. I'm still not sure how many races I'd be able to do a year so I'm leaning towards some form of stock height springs and just replacing the struts every couple events (stock stuff is relatively cheap and plentiful) and I'd feel like a dumbass if I spent 1500 and then blow it out after one season. Ugh so many decisions, so much information, so many headaches. Hopefully next post Ill be able to decide on a game plan and just start committing to some parts. Thanks for the input 323 im gunna double check tein and eibach

King springs are legit as, they're probably the most common lowering spring here and in OZ, so they should be a safe bet
I can get front and rear standard height springs and freight forward them if you like, but the freight costs might be more than the springs!

From memory the aussie astina and US protg are the same spring wise,

www.astina gt.com/forums/index.php

these guys might be able to help you out as well

I don*t know about stock height but there Tein h-techs that only slightly lower the car

Thanks for the feedback guys! After emailing a couple companies I found a distributor that's not ebay and it's pretty much the same price! Says free shipping but that's probably only local to Australia.
https://automotivesuperstore.com.au
I'm super hyped to get these plus they're yellow!!!! I'm gunna run my stock shocks for now and see how long they last, gotta spend money elsewhere first. I still have to figure out my rear brakes and source a spare set of wheels so I'm not driving home on my poor mans "rally" tires. I'm probably just gunna run some knobbly snow tires as it's always raining in Washington and I'll be driving through soup (might need to jury rig some paddle tires for the front haha). If work stays steady I'll be ordering the springs at the end of the month. I really want a skid plate up front and still need engine mounts. I remember corksport or racing beat used to sell a skid plate but it's not made anymore. Would making one be too far out for hand tools and walmart drills and sawsalls? Thanks again guys, the feedback really helps out ��

King springs are legit as, they're probably the most common lowering spring here and in OZ, so they should be a safe bet
I can get front and rear standard height springs and freight forward them if you like, but the freight costs might be more than the springs!

From memory the aussie astina and US protg are the same spring wise,

www.astina gt.com/forums/index.php

these guys might be able to help you out as well

Ima see what shipping is with these guys, but if it's too pricey I might have to take you up on that, thanks man

They said they can do shipping for 160 USD, which seems pretty fair to me. All in all I'll be looking at around 500(ish) for shipping and parts. If you can ship cheaper please let me know, I'm on super budget build with the kid on the way. Thanks LankyKiwi

They said they can do shipping for 160 USD, which seems pretty fair to me. All in all I'll be looking at around 500(ish) for shipping and parts. If you can ship cheaper please let me know, I'm on super budget build with the kid on the way. Thanks LankyKiwi

Just checked with a local shipping agent I've used before, shipping alone will be around $450nzd! :O (omg) the Aussie guys might be your best bet lol

Sorry I must've missed it, but why don't you install your stock springs if you want your P5 to be back at stock height?

King Springs is very popular here in Australia. They do everything from the lower end budget type springs, to high end, custom coilover and race car springs (used by some of the Australian Supercars teams).

Mine have 200k on them and I would feel a bit better with some new springs on. From what I've gathered on the threads king standard height springs seem to be the way to go for rallycross on a budget. The Tein springs feel surprisingly good and I dont wanna go back to my squishy stock stuff, but they are too low to even clear curbsides. I'm trying to have this car ready for rallycross by next summer. I'm gunna try to get another p5 at tax return but everything is up in the air with the baby on the way.

Dang man, Rallycross would be fun with a P5! Only thing is, unlike normal AutoX and Time Attack, RallyX really puts a beating on your suspension components. It's a good thing you're looking to upgrade your springs.

Which Tien springs do you currently have? They have S-Tech and some other one, can't remember.

Yo Riot, where did you get your mp3 ecu? I really need some more pep from the engine, I have a short ram and a 4-1 manifold but the p5 ecu doesnt really feel like it's taking advantage of them. My buddy just bought a mp3 but I dont want to leave him without his daily while I try to find a reputable shop to flash mine. I'm not even sure how all that computer crap works out honestly.I pulled the teins out of a junkyard off a ES sedan if I remember right. So I have no clue, but they do ride nice. A bit stiffer than stock but not nearly as squishy as stock springs. I test drove a local p5 at a dealership with new shocks and stock springs with 170k on them and the teins keep the car stable over a series of bumps that would make the dealer car start to bounce up and down (train tracks and then a bunch of holes in the road lol). My car rolls quite a bit more in the rear but my sway bar is still in the garage so. I love the ride on the teins, I just wish they were taller. I went through a half mile of gravel today and that was fun, but I was dodging potholes the whole time. I'm still not sure if I like the rear sway off or on. The car felt nice on the gravel but I can't really compare to my old clapped out suspension so ima get some links when I can and spend a day tinkering on the backroads.

I bought one a little over a year ago from Mazdaspeeder here on the forums. I do know for a fact that there are no more MP3 ECUs for sale off of Mazda Motorsports, though :^(

However, tomorrow, depending on what my fellow Mazda enthusiast has in his "personal scrapyard", I might be able to snag you one if you'd like!

Thanks for giving me an idea of the Tien springs--again, with this fellow enthusiast and his "scrapyard", I might be able to grab a set. I'm somewhat worried about putting stiffer springs on stock struts, since having a different spring rate from stock shock rebound and such tends to mess with the ride in unintentional ways. Plus, gotta make sure those springs are linear and not progressive, as the latter really goofs up your car's cornering ability (in terms of consistency).

If I was you, and I wanted to set up my car for rallycross, I would put in the rear swaybar, but find a way to remove the front one. You'll be able to flick the car more easily into turns at the expense of the front-end rolling a heck of a lot more. If you can't get a Racing Beat swaybar or AWR and are stuck with the stocker, you can always buy stiffer polyurethane bushings to help a little. Personally, I can't do without my RB swaybar...it's way too nice lol. For an added bonus, drop in those AWR rear trailing arms. They're a dream! The rear is less twisty and ropy, and you'll be more likely to get your car to rotate around a corner better, which means you'll perform better in rallyX.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do!

Thanks man, I'm thinking of running stock bars first to see what I want out of the car and then tinkering from there. Some good news, I set up a deal to buy a complete parts car for 300 SHIPPED to my house.... hell yeah brother. It has a blown motor with 170k(ish) on the chassis and drivetrain, I'm told it's all stock and anything that was replaced was only done when needed. So I'm probably not gunna get much off the suspension except hard parts like sway bars brackets n subframe etc. But I'm hoping the trans is solid because I could really use a transmission that holds fluid lol. I plan on stripping this thing down to the shell (for the most part) and then buying some cheapo spare tires to have a junker take what remains (I wanna keep the wheels so I'm not swapping tires on track days, just wheels). I got the girlfriend on board (kinda) and I'm finishing up times and payment with the seller. I'm hoping to have the car here by end of September and stripped out and off my lawn by Thanksgiving or Christmas. Soooooooo ima have pretty much a full interior and probably some other goodies to sell off and a bunch of spare body parts for my car since I seem to love smashing it into things. If it had a title I'd honestly just wait a bit and drop a engine in there but that's too much time in my front yard and I really dont have the room for another project. Downside is i wont be buying springs as soon as I'd like ); but at least I'll have headlights that point straight and maybe some working rear calipers Whoo!

Still looking for an mp3 ecu or someone to flash mine, I'm using part numbers
FS9N-18-881
FS9N-18-881B
FS9N-18-881C
But nothing is popping up damnit, all I get is the sedan ecus and the pro5 ecu, or rx7 and miata computers for some reason

Damn, 300 bucks shipped to you? Must be nice to have that luck and have the space! I would love both lol

Have you checked any of the facebook groups for an MP3 ECU? It seemed like after I got mine, there was an explosion of availability for that thing.

And it's a smart move to want to learn how to drive your car under hard performance settings stock--too many people forget that's how your develop real skills. However, if you ever find yourself wanting for some turn-in and roll reduction, hit me up. I got a spare Racing Bear rear swaybar asking for some use! Although, I might paint it first. Looks a little rough.

Super lucky, but I dont really have space, I'm just gunna stip it in my driveway and have someone tow it off when I'm done. My garage is gunna be packed full but hopefully I'll still be able to walk around it. I've gone through facebook a couple times and I cant find anything, it's also been about 3 years since I've been on there so I might have missed some search settings or something. I would love to get that sway bar off you but with my parts list and the donor car coming in, paired with the baby I'm a bit strapped for cash for probably the next 6 months. I'll let you know if I get some spare cash for it.

Super lucky, but I dont really have space, I'm just gunna stip it in my driveway and have someone tow it off when I'm done. My garage is gunna be packed full but hopefully I'll still be able to walk around it. I've gone through facebook a couple times and I cant find anything, it's also been about 3 years since I've been on there so I might have missed some search settings or something. I would love to get that sway bar off you but with my parts list and the donor car coming in, paired with the baby I'm a bit strapped for cash for probably the next 6 months. I'll let you know if I get some spare cash for it.

Sure thing man, I'll keep an ear out. Good luck with the kid on the way! With that parts P5 stripped, that kid of yours will plenty of toys to play with lol

Sure thing man, I'll keep an ear out. Good luck with the kid on the way! With that parts P5 stripped, that kid of yours will plenty of toys to play with lol

If he can make it through the maze! I'm kinda thinking of swapping all the blue doors and the bumpers and hatch on yeller, not sure how ricy that would look. Kinda going for a rally inspired look to it, yellow and blue are some classic schemes in the early rally cars, lol especially Subarus.

Latest posts

Back