Slow NA Pro5 build

Why did I not think about this? That is a great idea man, there's no emissions in washington as of next January so none of this matters anyways whoohoo. I'm thinking about maybe deleting the egr and maybe some other stuff that I don't need. My thoughts behind this are,
1 it's not a daily driver anymore
2 it doesnt need to be street legal or pass smog
3 I hate working in the engine bay of this car
There's so many vacuum lines and little canisters and other crap that I just feel doesn't really need to be there. Personally I love older vehichles specifically because they are easy to work on. I want to make this car reliable and simple, i feel like computers do too much nowadays. Cars used to be dumb but at least they were simple and obedient. Thanks for that tip 323 I'm definitely gunna do that, just a universal baby air filter will work right? Ima just bring the pipe in with me so I get the right size

Thank you so much man, I was about to start pulling out the intake mani. At that point I might as well pull the engine haha. I'll update after a run to oreillys and autozone, I know i dropped a tiny bolt down behind the trans so I gotta fish that out and then steal a exhaust bolt from the 626 block as I guess I've been one short for 6 years haha

yeah all this talk about removing batteries, throttle bodies, and intake manifolds to change out a rear motor mount was a big turn off. pretty sure i'd create more problems removing and reinstalling my intake manifold lol. when i finally got to do it, all i took off was my intake pipe and strut bar. had enough space to get to everything luckily.

Ya I'm about at that point, add a couple split wires and a bunch of missing coolant lines and bingo. I finally got a look at the rear mount while doing this and Damn it is buried, I gotta say I really hate how over engineered this car is. I see so many easier options in other cars (like oil filter placement cough cough mazda) that it just makes me sad. When I look in my engine bay all I see is a mess of wires and vacuum lines running sporadically around the bay. Then I look at some of the threads and man your guys engine bays look soooooooo clean. I really wanna start digging into this car, I just need more space and I guess I have to rebuy half of all my tools. Damn things keep growing legs if ya know what I mean [emoji23]

I get the fram one specifically for the grip tape stuff on the end of them, my hands are always covered in oil so it really helps lol

It's in!!! After a trip to ace hardware and oreillys I had everything I needed to put it all back together. I started up with patching the cut wires, got those wrapped up and started putting the baby air filter on the egr pipe stub. I had to chop it even shorter so the filter would slip past the hard pipe, it splits and has a smaller pipe run upwards to the throttle body and it is right where the filter needs to go. I managed to get it on kinda tucked behind that hard pipe, then I got all the coolant lines hooked back up. Then it was just finding a couple connectors and ziptying some stray wires that are missing their brackets (I'm very prone to breaking plastic clips and tabs lol). I got the intake back together and put in the bottom half of the battery box, I think I lost one of my battery box tie down rods so I just ziptied it in for now. The battery I got was a little bit bigger than the old one so I had to forget about using the battery box cover thingy. Putting the header on was cake after all that bullcrap, I put in some oil and antifreeze and yeller started right up. Sounds a little more raspy than I'd like but I have a big leak where the downpipe connectors to the rest of the exhaust. The donut gasket might need to be replaced, there a bit of angle on the connection so I might look into tweaking some exhaust hangers to try to get it to line up better. I just capped off the bung on the manifold with a brass cap, idk if brass was a good choice but it was all they had so that's what I went with. I'll try to get a sound clip up but it'll probably just be a YouTube link, I can't figure out this video stuff
1c01dc9a5223ca9bdfbe8ad89b78cb71.jpg
984a926ac319276ca1086142427483fd.jpg
dbc05f65e708ab07bbffa7d156f537f7.jpg
4c4f0020db50148803b7736b5eb195bf.jpg
d9af43a90a43e88afc96770ad4d32049.jpg
c6bf7031757709517b09fed83fe7c0f6.jpg
91c6ed2849a19cee24b1da550feafcb5.jpg
69ee522d86b579c854c3cd410b6ea383.jpg
2ca2db0d04fccfafc06e664c814d9bf8.jpg

Kool !!
Everything seems to have fallen together for you.

I get the fram one specifically for the grip tape stuff on the end of them, my hands are always covered in oil so it really helps lol

Yea me too.
It works great.

PS. Do you know to get the filter for the 626 instead.
It's taller and had more filter media.

Huh no kidding? Ima have to try that, I have 2 extras I gotta burn through first though. Luckily it was smooth sailing after I got the filter on but who knows if I would of thought of that before ripping out the intake mani, thanks 323 really saved me there man. Can anyone tell me what the purpose of an oil baffle and a oil sandwich plate are? I've gotten a little curious about how the oil moves about the engine recently and I've heard of these parts being installed on other cars and even proteges. Just kinda curious on how to beef up the lubrication of these FS engines

. Can anyone tell me what the purpose of an oil baffle and a oil sandwich plate are?

The sandwich plate allows you to thread in an oil pressure sensor and an oil feed line.

If the oil baffle is in the oil pan then it is probably to stop the oil from sloshing to the side of the oil pan so you don't suck air up your sump during hard sustained cornering.

(part #2 should never see air.)

Another thing of note is that the oil filters for our car have a blow by valve set at 12 PSI.

As soon as the oil pressure reaches 12 PSI, the valve opens and the oil goes straight through the filter and bypasses the filter media.

Once the oil filter is full (plugged) the oil always bypasses the filter.

Last edited:
Oh, that's a lot simpler than I'd thought. I really want to put in an actual temp. gauge and a oil pressure gauge so this was pretty helpful. I like knowing what my car is doing, my old dodge van had all the gauges it was awesome. I feel like I get a better understanding of what condition the engine is in by seeing how it's running ya know

You should do what Jackie chan did and install a tablet with a code reader.

It will show you everything except oil pressure.
You would still need to install a pressure sensor.

We've just gut a pressure switch.
(set at about 3 PSI... Useless)

You can also use a cell phone instead and just velcro it to the dash.
Then you can remove it to take some better pictures. lol

I just bought a used S5 NEO for $50.
It takes great pictures.

Ya I'm a cheap bastard when it comes to phones, I usually break them pretty quick. Is the tablet mod in his build thread? That actually sounds pretty convienent.

I've only had the pressure light come on once, it scared the he'll out of me though. I was going through the twisties on the way home from a swing shift and noticed the light on. I whipped it over and let it cool down and checked the oil, oil was full and the light was gone when I started it back up. Could this be from the oil splashing around in the pan?

Back