Slow NA Pro5 build

There's timing marks on the back of the cam gears too.
Might help when you clamp your vise grips.

That's funny I was looking at those exact ones on Amazon yesterday and decided against it because it's plastic lol looks like I made the right choice

I didn't know (or notice) there were hexes in the camshafts either when I did my T-belt.

I had wrenches on the cam gear bolts holding one with my left hand and one with my left elbow while putting the T-belt on with my right hand.

Try doing that almost a dozen times without getting passed off. lol

(I was off by one tooth over and over)

Cams, out
Valve cover, painted
Knuckles, bruised
Satisfaction, 100%
Finally got the cams out and the valve cover painted. The cams were suprisingly tight even after all the caps and bolt were out, but with the trusty mallet and flathead all ended well. Shout out to Lankykiwi and Pcb with their awesome know how, really appreciate the help guys. Next up is finding the right size Allen socket and poppin that head off baby. I have my fingers crossed hoping everything is sound inside (the engine was dropped twice in front of me so who knows how much impact damage it has actually taken) I don't have high hopes considering it's over 20 years old and stored in a very leaky shed we were building rack in, but minus some slight wear in the cam journals everything so far has been solid and surprisingly in good shape. And I gotta say I kinda miss the 'polished' aluminum look the valve cover had going
2c6bb2b0674818b40cd0dffe7fa2dcc9.jpg
7f73d69dd7ffc6b9322a7c19817eefa5.jpg
aaa8204d3dfd87d744882b173322a589.jpg
2b735a87e2bcab10e3a0169506e7fb6a.jpg
97d6ae63eea2d16974de09cb5228a316.jpg

Me too !!

I think you should remove the paint and clear coat the aluminum.
[emoji115][emoji115] This is why we do build threads
That's a genius idea man I'm definitely trying that on my current engine, ima swap the valve covers and clean up that one.

Sorry guys no update yet, instead I have a question for you guys. Does anyone know if any parts from the 626 intake manifold will swap over to the fsde mani? Stuff like the throttle body, fuel rails, egr valve, etc.

Well I did a bit of digging and didn't find very much. So ima just hit up the for sale section when I have the cash. Anyways I've just been researching head porting and and the valvetrain, I'm thinking about having speed circuit port my head. I need to call them and see if they cater to NA applications (I'm pretty sure what they offer Is for turbo applications), but Damn this is all expensive. I really just need 20 years to tinker in a decked out shop with all the goodies. I'm kinda missing having access to the shop at the quarry, now I'm stuck with Wal-Mart tools and my boss's welding truck[emoji23]

Hey man, if I was to hazard a guess, I'd say that you could link up a 626 throttle body to a P5's IM, since the 626 IM can bolt right in. However, I don't know if it's hydraulic or cable-driven, and the 626 IM is a single piece as opposed to our cars having two pieces.

Now, this sounds crazy, but if you want a NA project that'll really stand out, investigate Toyota AE101 ITBs. Apparently, all you need is 800cc injectors, an "adapter plate", and that's it. All the sensors work nicely, supposedly.

I first learned about this on a Protege facebook group, where someone sold the aforementioned ITBs along with the adapter plate.

Check it out:
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123765984-My-ITB-Progress-Thread

(broken pictures)
http://www.astina gt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11224

Man those were some crazy threads, who woulda thought of throwing blacktop 20v ITBs on an FS? I've kinda looked around at ITBs but I'm looking at spending so much in other departments [emoji22] and 800cc injectors on a NA build seems a bit much right? I'm planning on running 400cc and I hear even those might be to big for my applications. Anyways keep it coming guys I love these build threads, they're like online time capsules[emoji23]

Pulled the vtcs today that's about it lol. Still have to plug the holes n such, but I did I bit more research on ITBs and now I really want them. I kinda wanna make a custom set, I read a couple threads where they would chop the stock intake mani a couple inches above where it connects to the header and then welding on an adapter plate to bolt the throttle body itself on. I still don't know a lot about them but man they sound mean and look rad
520a480854199c20e3f465e9e2121e38.jpg
d51bdea2541c3410e2b67a990b2b2975.jpg

Did some more research and found some info deep in the threads apparently a group made an ITB set for FS 1.8 and 2.0 engines. They were called AAI Motorsport AKA Buddy Club. The only link I've found set me to a site with barely any English so that wasn't too helpful, these threads were from 2005. Does anyone have anymore info on these?

Well nothing really happening right now, I'm just waiting for a solid week of work to get bills back on track. Right now I've been filling time with lightly porting the intake mani., removing the VTCS, and hopefully painting.

Someone on here, or used to be, did up a motor using ITB's...........age prevents me from recollecting the username tho. Do remember some thread about it..............

I've found a couple threads where people use the blacktop 20v ITBs from a AE101 motor but it looks to be too much money and custom work for now

Well allot of work went in to Ole Yeller this weekend, I started sanding the floorboards as there was a good amount of rust creeping in on the seams. Started thurs. finished today and started painting. I'm broke af so I'm using flex seal on all the seams and rustoleum primer and paint. This was a rushed project as this is my daily and I need to drive occasionally for work so it's not too pretty, but as long as the rust stays away I'm happy. Next up im cutting some thin toolbox carpet to put on and using double sided tape, apologies for my crappy camera
ea08bca641db9eed48544557d30ea1d2.jpg
7fa0f4d8c4097460e5143e9b1b661346.jpg
8b094ad90f114d048979c9accb04dfe9.jpg
da316056cbf6266762a7356eed4a3a7f.jpg
f346076c5690154de34fa7f3a56551dd.jpg

I had holes rusted right through my floorboards.

I fiberglassed them with epoxy then spread some homemade goo on it made with roofing tar and grease.

Back