Slow NA Pro5 build

Sorry about the lack of updates, it's been a busy week. I ended up getting a 89 b2200 for work and pulled yeller off the insurance[emoji22]. This here is Tina, she needs a bit of love mostly lifters(tick like crazy) but that's where most of my cash will be going for the next month or two until she's running real good. Until then the pro5 is gunna have to sit on the back burner. Fortunately this gives me time to really dig into yeller and start finding rust and worn out parts, ima get some tall jack stands and pull the wheels off and start crawling around looking for broken s***. For now say hi to Tina the tiny ticking truck[emoji23]
b387f13e106ee5d671c997ac86dbd320.jpg
c3edb04c777914831d07194b71d18fd9.jpg

You should try posting up some progress on that truck in here too, always loved those trucks and wanted to get one..
People here just jack up the prices like crazy bc they're quite common to modify here.

Yea they're pretty sweet I need a new bed mine's rusted through but it has a good cover and still holds 700+ pounds. But I want to throw on a weber 32/36 dgev carb and a set of pace setter 4-2-1 headers. That along with a general top end overhaul, various gaskets and new lifters and rocker arms. Then delete the egr and emissions crap, refresh the suspension and daily it till she blows. The pro5 is gunna turn into a long slow build but I hope to keep making progress on it, I need a storage unit to start tearing into it. It's takes up my entire garage rn so there's no room to have any fun with it, I still have an engine and various suspension parts and intake manifolds lying around everywhere. It's almost time for a spring cleaning.

Well got the door off yeller today and Damn what a pain in the ass that was, there were waay more wire clips than I thought. Other than that I cleaned out tina and I put in a pioneer head unit and 6 1/2in rear speakers and 4in dash speakers as the stock stuff had been ripped apart, I had to completely rewire everything and then hide all the wires. Poor yeller is just a box for parts right now [emoji23]
56304287f2ccab48ac82694c4045f33f.jpg
c711dcb6bba5fa374add2fd63b9b932d.jpg
5ee7594a00e3b4fbe3c6f58c35dab010.jpg
aab83d00d8785e603e1cdac31d4a11e2.jpg
84310da5da79328219c6f1ce9e34d2ba.jpg
651a88f45776c83e77640f3f613aafca.jpg

hey i have my white p5 that needs to go so if you need anything let me kno. im the original owner. glad to see this p5 is going to be a monster. i would personally buy a used engine from japan with 50k miles just for good measure. found one for 650 last time i checked

hey i have my white p5 that needs to go so if you need anything let me kno. im the original owner. glad to see this p5 is going to be a monster. i would personally buy a used engine from japan with 50k miles just for good measure. found one for 650 last time i checked
Hey sorry about they late update but I would love to get a passenger door off you if you still have one, where exactly does one go to buy a jdm engine? I've always been really wary of buying one online and I don't know enough to really look at one and know if it's good. All I know is a compression check and looking for scoring in the cylinders. Thanks for the feedback man

Kind of an update, I tried moving yeller to clean up the garage and found out the battery is dead. Shouldn't have been a surprise since I left the door ajar cab light on and with no door on that just drained the battery for a week lol. So I to a couple more swings at the rear, cleaned up a couple bigger areas. I can't get at three areas and it's really bugging me, I'm on the fence thinking about cutting the inside paneling to get to them. I honestly don't think it's a very good idea as I know very little about unibody body work and don't want to destroy this chassis (yet, or at least in the garage). Also small Tina update, she's on her second seafoam flush to get everything as clean as can be. Changed tranny gear oil next up is the rear differential and then drive it for 5000 and do another change. Currently using Lucas 75-90w I might change depending on how the shifting feels, it's still notchy but no worse than before.

Well all in all the garage is still a mess, 626 engine still halfway torn apart, yeller still needs a bunch of tune up work, Tina still misses and runs like crap....... It's gunna be a fun broke summer [emoji23][emoji23]
243c03feeaefd422acb81ad4ad87777c.jpg
5225e10a301ca0acd596f3741159184b.jpg
bafcbb2e3201cd8c164d574eb77d3628.jpg
cd40e5552e055a83a85cfad2983ce7f3.jpg
24043f98358e9517b2f61f5b47a761e5.jpg
15ead1c28897e639b879ffa8b2fb93ae.jpg
bfa8883b78cac4ff21c508565ed6d894.jpg
c3146eaadcb43717a6af4d9c830273bf.jpg

... I've always been really wary of buying one online and I don't know enough to really look at one and know if it's good. All I know is a compression check and looking for scoring in the cylinders. Thanks for the feedback man

I found this on eBay.
It's sounds good. Comes with a warranty and it's delivered right to your door. But I've never bought something like that online either.

That didn't look bad, but I'm pretty set on building the engine from the block up. I already have about 70% of the parts I want priced out I just need to find misc. hardware and other odds and ends. I didn't want to bring this up and jinx it, but I've always wanted to do a rotary rwd swap on the p5. I know how monumental of a task this would be and I've slowly been gathering info since I got the car almost 6 years ago. But I believe it might be possible with minimal cutting in the floor pans only in the back for the rear diff and the front tunnel under the dash for a transmission. Both the front and rear wheel base are within 2inches on s5 NA fc rx7. The driveline would need to be extended 7. (9?)inches based of the yoke to yoke measurement and the track length, but also depends on where the engine is mounted. Still gotta figure out how I would run suspension, chassis bracing, would need a standalone and completely custom wiring harness, blah blah blah maybe after winning the lottery. Heck yeller barely fits in my garage, I would need a 20x20 storage unit with 15g worth of tools an equipment for this to be plausible. Anyway back on track I'm just gunna build an NA FS and have some fun while gaining more experience[emoji106]

thatd be so nasty. all i can think about is that weight distribution cuttin corners haha

Still here lurking around but sadly no updates on yeller, Tina the truck got the engine oil flushed, trans oil changed, new air a oil filters and a pcv valve but still runs like crap. Pretty sure I'm hearing rod knock now yay but I got 2 rims painted and I was gunna do the other 2 today till the rain came. Lugnuts are gunna be changed out for some new ones wednesday so I got lazy and just painted over em. Right now I'm trying to figure out how I can squeeze a shop unit into my budget so I can use my tiny garage again and have room to work on the p5. Here's some pics of the rims, I'm a dunce and taped off everything except the brakes so now my rotor has a spot of primer but they already sound terrible, fingers crossed it just burns off without a fire
38ebbb5902fa4071ce6635c295b3e3d1.jpg
e3f49dfecde89116a503ce1e8bc7da5f.jpg
dbfe50388b5381e7f39ce424aec7a885.jpg

Well been awhile and not a whole lot going on, found out the girlfriend is 2 months pregnant so that's kinda been taking priority. I did however "sand" down the paint finally and get some primer on. Found some sedans nearby that have decent looking doors, thinking about maybe getting an exhaust header or digging into my front suspension. Not too much else going on for now hopefully this summer I'll get a chance to get some parts and do some installing
b1157ff8a575206454c6a2f866699e39.jpg
e0d034987adbedbb2ab0305c5cec79d8.jpg
39d683005333b8b4876e71c89936b52c.jpg
e834906e7bb8637bdc1f1f01d6651ed7.jpg
11cf47cc8944b777205180c4e0940335.jpg
961f5291e071193b654993ff007df4ff.jpg

Congrats!

Old yeller is getting there slowly by the looks. Repairs look pretty good, are you going to fill and paint it yourself?

Thanks man and I thought about filling it but honestly it's not a daily anymore so I'm probably gunna wait till I can buy a donor car. Then I'll probably cut out the damaged paneling and weld in some clean pieces. I saw a guy replace the same panel on the driver side and it doesn't look too bad, just real tedious. It's just gunna be rattle can paint for now, I have some yellow and clear coat so I figured why not. I'm thinking about painting the whole car after I get new doors and panels ya know, do it once instead of trying to match paint later on.

Well still working on paint when I get the time, second coat of yellow is on. I saw some primer poking through the first layer so I'll probably do another light coat just to be sure. As usual my paint job is pretty crappy, lines are inconsistent and it's starting to run here and there (Damn my heavy coats). But the color matches alright so I'm happy so far. Remembered I was sanding my intake mani because I pulled the vtcs, then I just kinda sat there as I realized I'm still on the first runner lol. Then I looked around and saw all the stuff I need to finish but have no room to do. I really gotta fix yeller up so I can clean the garage, it's a mess and I can barely walk through it let alone work in it. So ima try to save up for a door and a battery, and I might have a line on some goodies [emoji16] but that doesn't do me any good till I get the car driveable again. Btw the paint I'm using is plain ole rustoleum sunburnt yellow, it's matching alright so far but I won't really know till it's all done
aa258d3d00b72a00d052e1d76295ba05.jpg
c466d8c9766193246bb4dd9e0f82221a.jpg
348b4a7e27e73e77e3cf8c10dc55eb17.jpg
7eecf65578db9b2eaff9ee7b8f1dd255.jpg

Oh I also picked up some pre worn in seats for the truck. Drove 4 hours to get them and realized when I got home that there's no brackets on them (facepalm) so I either gotta find some or make some

Got the first coat of clear coat on, picked up some garbage. Then I poked around my parking brake a bit. I tightened it down all the way and then worked it up n down with my phone recording what I believe is the parking brakeline. I can't figure out up loading videos so I just took a picture but that hook shaped bracket that the cable feeds through should be moving when I work the handbrake right? I have no movement but I get the tension in the cables, I also have no rear brakes atm. The rotors are ancient and I'm pretty sure I'm all out of pad in the back. When I bought it the previous owned told me it was a spring and I still had rear brakes then, any ideas? I've been looking through the repair Manual but it doesn't go too in depth on it.
006b6116bbae5fc39916714739030424.jpg

This part is supposed to rotate when the parking brake is applied.
It not only applies the brake but adjusts the mechanism every time the handle is pulled.

If that doesn't rotate, your brake pedal height changes slowly and the front brakes start grabbing before the rears.

You may not be feeling the P-brakes actually grabbing but just the slack inside the brake cables tightening up inside worn out cables.

On my car the cables were seized enough that the coil spring on the caliper connection couldn't pull the cable back.

Try backing off your adjustment and see if you start getting movement.

Try prying the cable connection to help see if the cable is seized.

I put a spring assist on my caliper before I changed my cables.

Ok so I loosened it up, and did another videos, still no movement. I can pull the cable back and forth when it's loosened up so I don't think it's siezed. I tried moving that arm contraption and I couldn't get it to budge with my hands, I tried both sides results are the same for both. Could those arms be seized up?

Back