Slow NA Pro5 build

... At this point I'm thinking the pads just need to wear in, we do all this thinking and it's ends up being your first guess anyways haha. All I can do is try to run it for a bit like this and see what happens

Ya I think you're right...

I took my calper piston out again and oiled the mechanism.
Turns out it was seized but I got it out.
(I still don't know where that c-clip is from ?)

The inside of the piston.

Once everthing was oiled (normally lubed by the brake fluid.) it started moving.

I can now pull the piston in and then the whole adjustment mechanism rotates.

So your you're adjustment screw should just rotate too even when it's fully retracted (although with slightly more torque)

Either way, if your brakes do seat themselves and your brakes aren't dragging, keep an eye on the number of clicks your P-brake handle has and if they always keep grabbing.

If your handle keeps pulling higher and higher until they no longer grab then your self adjusters aren't working.
Then your brake pedal goes closer and closer to the floor before your brakes grab.

Brake pedal height is adjusted by the self adjusters in the rear brakes.

Ive been following along the threads for the last few weeks, as I just bought a red 02 5.
Some how I missed the post where you capped the egr at the header and added the baby breather to the tube. Now that its been on there for a while have you noticed any adverse effects? My header has an offset egr tube that wont allow me to install without some fabbing. This would be a great solution as Georgia doesnt smog test or inspect.

I think it to set the rotor on the hub, you can't see it with my crappy camera but the hub has the same hole and they line right up. I know my fronts are held on with the lugs and caliper but are the rears supposed to have set screws?

I took apart my front end to replace my wheel bearing.

I found this...

I'm almost positive I have the original wheel hub and there is no threaded hole in it but there is a threaded hole in my rotor.

I still think it's there to break the rotor free from the hub.

Ive been following along the threads for the last few weeks, as I just bought a red 02 5.
Some how I missed the post where you capped the egr at the header and added the baby breather to the tube. Now that its been on there for a while have you noticed any adverse effects? My header has an offset egr tube that wont allow me to install without some fabbing. This would be a great solution as Georgia doesnt smog test or inspect.
Well I havnt really been driving it that much and since I reset the ecu it runs all rough. From the couple miles I've put on it since the swap I havnt really noticed anything. The exhaust smells a bit more but I think that's more because the header deletes the primary cat. There's some good threads that go more in depth about it, I can't really pull anything useful from the top of my head.

Pcb I can't think of any other use for it at this point, the rubber mallet always works for me. I did another small drive, I can smell the brakes a little but they arnt getting too hot yet. I'm hoping I can break them in with these small drives to try and keep the heat down until I can drive it more.

Pcb I can't think of any other use for it at this point, the rubber mallet always works for me...

I've had to use a sledge hammer before.

One guy posted that you back off the 5 lug nuts till they're a bit loose (keeping them kinda snug) then go for a short drive hitting the brakes in forward and reverse a few times and that breaks them free.

I've had to use a sledge hammer before.

One guy posted that you back off the 5 lug nuts till they're a bit loose (keeping them kinda snug) then go for a short drive hitting the brakes in forward and reverse a few times and that breaks them free.
Huh, now that's pretty neato burrito right there. I had to take a sledge to the girlfriends civic a couple years ago, that method would have saved me probably 20 minutes. I was trying to be real careful with my swings as I tend to miss the rotor and go straight for the studs haha

Just found out I have to do emissions one last time in August to keep it street legal damnit. I thought I did it last year but I guess not, looking back on it the last time I did emissions I had my muffler so it was about 2 years ago. So I think I might need a muffler and I should probably get some new plugs in there too. I know I need to get some seafoam again, I have so much smoke behind me above 4500rpm I can barely see out the rear window. I don't know how much life I have left in the motor or trans honestly. I'm hoping to get at least another year out of it before stuff starts going snap crackle pop

That sucks !!

You may not need a muffler to pass but you'll need a working cat.

Your main cat. may be all burnt up from all the oily exhaust going through it.

Your pre-cat can be shot too but still pass with the non-fouler trick, so you don't get that code.

Is your check engine light on ??

The header I got deletes the primary cat, I believe I have either a resonator or a secondary cat still on (I honestly can't tell). No check engine lights but I've only put maybe 5 miles on it since the swap and the ecu is still relearning. I really don't want to put the stock header back on, but that would let me pass I'm pretty sure

I assume you've got the non-foulers installed so you won't get that code (efficiency below threshold) and if they don't go under to inspect things, they won't know you don't have a pre-cat.

4-6 years ago they used to sniff my tail pipe for pollution but last time they changed things and just plugged into the OBDII port and checked for codes and readiness.

The weird thing is that if they just plug in, you could have no cats at all and make all kinds of pollution and neither them or our ECU would know.
You would have no codes.

This is the code you'll get with a bad pre-cat (or no pre-cat).

But if you ran your car with a different ECU before and you didn't pop a code then your new ECU should be the same.

This is the non-fouler it is mounted in between the header bung and the front O2 sensor.

Check to see how your car will be inspected.
You may not need to do anything.

(perhaps if they hear a loud ass exhaust they might be inclined to look at it ??)

You could just swap all your exhaust out before the test then swap it back in right after. (that's what the guys in California do.)

Make sure all your monitored systems are ready before the test.
If they plug in and something says "Incomplete" then you'll have to come back later and pay again.

Do you have a code reader ??

Last edited:
Check to see if you've got your main cat.
Part #3

It's TWC (three way catalytic).
If you don't have it and they sniff your tailpipe, you'll fail the test.

Here's some more info on your pre-cat.

Ok so my precat is what got deleted and what I thought was a resonator is actually the twc. I'm not throwing any codes and I don't have the non-fouler mod installed (honestly I forgot about that being a thing haha) kinda confused why I'm not throwing codes now. Maybe because my ecu is still relearning? Maybe I can trick the reader by tricking my computer...? I'm thinking swapping back to stock might be the easiest way to get around it, or putting on a muffler and hoping they don't do any digging. Or I could just wait 6 months to renew my tabs. I don't really want to go this route because I love driving this car but at the same time I'm a major procrastinator and super lazy

... Or I could just wait 6 months to renew my tabs. I don't really want to go this route because I love driving this car but at the same time I'm a major procrastinator and super lazy

I'm old and lazy and don't tend to my bearings until the stereo can't cover up the noise anymore.

Just wait the 6 months.
You've got plenty to do to keep you busy until then.

I can walk to the liquor store so I can do without my car.

PS. My bearings are going so well that I may try to refurbish my rear brakes. I've already got the seal and boot kit but the rear caliper pistons are sold out at Rock Auto.

They can notify me when they get some in but I don't know if I want to wait half a year ?? lol

If you don't have a code reader, get one !!

It can rub codes and tell you everything about your car with the Torque app.

I'm probably just going to wait, I don't relish the idea of mangling my exhaust gaskets haha. I have a scanner but I've never used it, I gotta get the girlfriend to show me how it works. Figures they'd only be sold out of the rears, it seems that brake parts for the rears are allot harder to come by

... I have a scanner but I've never used it, I gotta get the girlfriend to show me how it works.

That or a 12 year old,.. They know all about that BlueTooth, WIFI Android crap. lol

Figures they'd only be sold out of the rears, it seems that brake parts for the rears are allot harder to come by

The fronts are just regular pistons but the rears have all those funky cuts inside.

I don't think you can even buy the self adjuster guts whithout buying a new OEM caliper costing around $400 each.

I know what you mean my nephew catches on to these computers faster than I ever did. I wish someone made a nice brake kit for our cars, all we have are salvaged 626's and speed6's to upgrade our brakes haha

Well, it been a long weekend. My phone broke friday(yay better pictures) and I lost everything I had on this car from part numbers to places to buy parts. I ended up selling tina because she was starting to run rough and the clutch started sticking. Tailight off Ebay came in today, bummed a muffler off my buddies ranger that he put a cherry bomb on. So I got tailight in, replaced all those bulbs, finally changed my liscense plate bulbs, got the muffler welded on, and got yeller back on insurance whoo! I didn't get a chance to take any pics during all this, mostly because it was three of us working on 4 cars today lol. I'll try to get some better pictures when I'm not feeling so lazy. Now I just gotta pass emissions one last time, and yes I know the tip is too long and looks ricy I gotta cut it down still. I'm honestly just happy I can drive it again, even if it does sound super lame with the ranger muffler (at least it's a magnaflow, silver linings right?)
767f5d219c75e11bc8845ffff1b692cd.jpg
2dc5488e96a26e1289881ec80573a893.jpg
ab6fd9449b4abf868b805e60a4cd782c.jpg
4af2da8a11ab1d6b10e619a7ea140f4a.jpg
5830273437d3e3d1bbed6c5e30fdd6c5.jpg

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk

Back