First 500 miles on my CX-9

:
2021 CX-9 Sig
:
2021 CX-5 GT
I thought I would give my impressions on the 2018 CX-9 from someone moving from a CX-5 and who looked hard at the CX-5 Signature.

I had originally wanted a 2019 but settled on the 2018 as the dealer had a color I wanted and installed CarPlay for me and gave me a good price.

The first thing I have noticed is that the car is very big. Coming from the CX-5, it originally drove very similar to that and felt small but you notice the bulk when in traffic or trying to parallel park. The 2019 360 camera is bad but in my mind, would still be of great value in a car like this.

The can has plenty of power and when you put the hammer down, it moves - to a point. Even with 93 octane, there is a point were it feels like the tap just runs dry. For most driving, it is more than adequate and pleasurable.

The inside of the car is very nice and the leather bits are fantastic. The interior plastic parts get dirty really easily and need frequent cleaning.

The tech so far has been very nice. CarPlay is very easy and worked great when my daughter had friends in the car and they could plug in and play their music and switch out their phones.

I have found driving that putting the car in sport mode reduces torque steer and puts power to the rear much earlier. Powering through the turns feels great as the car transfers power nicely to the rear to help drive the car through.

I am getting a clear bra put on and the car ceramic coated next week and will post pictures after. I have the Machine Grey and I think the color combo is great. I had taken the car to a place to get a hitch installed and when I was waiting, the service guy came in and I thought he was going to tell me about some problem but instead said the hitch was done and complemented me on the car saying it was stunning and how impressed he was.

So far, we got 21 MPG for the first tank and am getting 23 MPG on the second tank in pretty much city driving. Hopefully this will improve a bit as the car breaks in.

A couple of things that are odd. The car came with the rear shade cover but I can't find a place for it when the 3rd row is up. You basically have to remove it from the car. Am I missing something?

Otherwise, very impressed. I think the Signature level Mazda 6, CX-5 and CX-9 are really well done and great value deals as well.

Last edited:
I thought I would give my impressions on the 2018 CX-9 from someone moving from a CX-5 and who looked hard at the CX-5 Signature.

I had originally wanted a 2019 but settled on the 2018 as the dealer had a color I wanted and installed CarPlay for me and gave me a good price.

The first thing I have noticed is that the car is very big. Coming from the CX-5, it originally drove very similar to that and felt small but you notice the bulk when in traffic or trying to parallel park. The 2019 360 camera is bad but in my mind, would still be of great value in a car like this.

The can has plenty of power and when you put the hammer down, it moves - to a point. Even with 93 octane, there is a point were it feels like the tap just runs dry. For most driving, it is more than adequate and pleasurable.

The inside of the car is very nice and the leather bits are fantastic. The interior plastic parts get dirty really easily and need frequent cleaning.

The tech so far has been very nice. CarPlay is very easy and worked great when my daughter had friends in the car and they could plug in and play their music and switch out their phones.

I have found driving that putting the car in sport mode reduces torque steer and puts power to the rear much earlier. Powering through the turns feels great as the car transfers power nicely to the rear to help drive the car through.

I am getting a clear bra put on and the car ceramic coated next week and will post pictures after. I have the Machine Grey and I think the color combo is great. I had taken the car to a place to get a hitch installed and when I was waiting, the service guy came in and I thought he was going to tell me about some problem but instead said the hitch was done and complemented me on the car saying it was stunning and how impressed he was.

So far, we got 21 MPG for the first tank and am getting 23 MPG on the second tank in pretty much city driving. Hopefully this will improve a bit as the car breaks in.

A couple of things that are odd. The car came with the rear shade cover but I can't find a place for it when the 3rd row is up. You basically have to remove it from the car. Am I missing something?

Otherwise, very impressed. I think the Signature level Mazda 6, CX-5 and CX-9 are really well done and great value deals as well.

I also just purchased a 18 Cx9 after trading in my 16 cx5 GT . I needed more space but still wanted the excellent driving conditions that cx 5 provided . I got the Touring level and I am very impressed with the level of equipment that came with it.The 9 drives much better with the turbo than than the 5 in my opinion.The increased weight and space make it a great car to drive .Still getting to know the vehicle and plan a long trip soon.

I also just purchased a 18 Cx9 after trading in my 16 cx5 GT . I needed more space but still wanted the excellent driving conditions that cx 5 provided . I got the Touring level and I am very impressed with the level of equipment that came with it.The 9 drives much better with the turbo than than the 5 in my opinion.The increased weight and space make it a great car to drive .Still getting to know the vehicle and plan a long trip soon.

It does drive incredibly well for such a large vehicle. Very impressed with that. We have a Mazda 3, a CX-5 and and a CX-9 and they all have a similar driving feel. That is not unexpected as in the past, we had a Civic, a CR-V and an Odyssey and those also had a similar driving feel - but not a good one!

The CX-9 isn't that large.

I mean, it's no Miata... But the average soccer mom is cruising around in a Dodge Caravan or Ford Expedition.

I rather like the CX-9's size.

The CX-9 isn't that large.

I mean, it's no Miata... But the average soccer mom is cruising around in a Dodge Caravan or Ford Expedition.

I rather like the CX-9's size.

Yeah, but coming from a CX-5, it feels huge!

I'm thinking of making the move to the CX-9 from the 2016 CX-5 GT (AWD) because I want a bit larger footprint on the road with a more refined luxury type ride. I know it won't handle in the twisties as well as the CX-5 but that is maybe 5% of mileage I drive so I'd trade that for more comfort and room. If the MPG sacrifice is no more than 2-3 MPG under the CX-5 I can accept that but I've heard various reports on that number. I'd like to see 23-24 in mixed rural (very little stop and go). Highway mileage is hard to quantify as Interstate highways vary from 55 to 80 mph in the west. I could live with 25-27 there.

Did you go with the Mazda OEM tow hitch or go aftermarket? I put a U-haul branded hitch on my CX-5 and it's solid. I tow about 2000 lbs 3000 miles a year.

I'm thinking of making the move to the CX-9 from the 2016 CX-5 GT (AWD) because I want a bit larger footprint on the road with a more refined luxury type ride. I know it won't handle in the twisties as well as the CX-5 but that is maybe 5% of mileage I drive so I'd trade that for more comfort and room. If the MPG sacrifice is no more than 2-3 MPG under the CX-5 I can accept that but I've heard various reports on that number. I'd like to see 23-24 in mixed rural (very little stop and go). Highway mileage is hard to quantify as Interstate highways vary from 55 to 80 mph in the west. I could live with 25-27 there.

Did you go with the Mazda OEM tow hitch or go aftermarket? I put a U-haul branded hitch on my CX-5 and it's solid. I tow about 2000 lbs 3000 miles a year.

My first tank I got 21.7 MPG and right now on my second I am around 23.7. This is pretty much all city driving with an average speed of 19 MPH. I am also hoping that I average about 23-24 MPG overall and get ~28 on the highway. In over 100K miles in my CX-5, I average 26.4 MPG, which I am very happy about.

I went aftermarket. A class III hitch was ~$200. Much cheaper and better than the Mazda stuff.

Back