Is this push to premium really new for Mazda?

That*s why I think I*ll like the new 3 more once I see it in person. The soul red is a very dynamic color for sure.

Unfortunately, I don't share your optimism. I will be in the market for a C-segment hatch next year and I was really hoping it would be a 3. However, most of the exterior shots I've seen leave me cold and although I suspect it will look better in person, the design really goes against the functionality/utility I am looking for in a hatch so I think my choices will be a leftover 2018 3 or a 2019 Hyundai Elantra N-line. I might have gone for a 2018 VW Golf Sportwagen, but I don't care for they way they bundle accessories and the 2019 gets a smaller engine, which is a real deal killer.

Im probably keeping my GTI. But I will hold off judgment until I see the 3 in person. AWD is tempting but the 3 wont get the 2.5t anytime soon so to me its a downgrade vs GTI.

Yea the part about them being on ships didnt make sense for arriving in Mexico if they are made there. But maybe I dont understand lol.

Arent they made in Mexico?

It is my understanding that production will be coming first from Japan while the Mexican plant is being retooled to produce the new model. Current model is sourced from both Mexico and Japan. I suspect the the new model will continue with that. Models with the new Skyactiv-X engines will most likely be Japan only for the foreseeable future.

It is my understanding that production will be coming first from Japan while the Mexican plant is being retooled to produce the new model. Current model is sourced from both Mexico and Japan. I suspect the the new model will continue with that. Models with the new Skyactiv-X engines will most likely be Japan only for the foreseeable future.

That sounds like a likely scenario.

I'm glad to see Mazda becoming more premium. I test drive the CX-5 Signature tomorrow and I already know that the most un-premium thing is probably going to be the infotainment and speaker system. I'm totally anchored to the RDX's ELS 3D sound system and infotainment system. I think Mazda really needs to update to a better sound system and infotainment (higher res, bigger screen) in order to get more premium. I'm hoping 2020 brings that so I can purchase then.

Yeah, the Mazda 3 forums have some shots of the cars lined up and ready to get onto the ships (clearly in Asia). They also have the Euro spec figures for the Euro Sky-X (181 hp).

https://mazda3revolution.com/forums/2427121-post112.html

Mazda tried going upmarket decades ago. Anyone remember Amati and the Millenia S with the Yamaha Miller Cycle engine in it?
Amati was supposed to be to Mazda what Acura is to Honda and Lexus is to Toyota. It didn't work out, even the car was way ahead of it's time and the car ended up being a Mazda that was completely under advertised and over looked.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_Millenia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amati_Cars

Last edited:
Mazda tried going upmarket decades ago. Anyone remember Amati and the Millenia S with the Yamaha Miller Cycle engine in it?
Amati was supposed to be to Mazda what Acura is to Honda and Lexus is to Toyota. It didn't work out, even the car was way ahead of it's time and the car ended up being a Mazda that was completely under advertised and over looked.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amati_Cars

Thats what the Jalopnik article I linked when starting this thread was about. Its a long but good read.

Oops, sorry!(peep) EDIT: Just read the entire thing. Pretty cool article!

Here's another lil tidbit:

Mazdaspeed was originally called Mazda Sports Corner and was a small group of techs inside Mazda working behind their boss's back. Once they started winning races, The higher ups at Mazda took notice, started funding them, and turned their group into Mazdaspeed.

Nothing to do with Ford and this all happened in the late 60's/early 70's. We can thank those guys for the RX-7 and Mazda's win at LeMans

Last edited:
Ah ok so a pretty similar story to how they did things over at Dodge under the cover against corporate. But eventually the leadership embraced it when they figured out that sells.

Back