Is this push to premium really new for Mazda?

:
2017 CX-5
I am putting this hear as we don't have a general general chat and the CX-5 is most active and where, IMHO, this is most obvious anyway.

There seems to be a lot of discussion about how Mazda has changed from being a sporty enthusiast company to a more premium company. Examples often cited are that Mazdaspeed is gone. While this article doesn't really talk about Mazdaspeed specifically it does I feel show that the desire to be a more premium brand has actually been there for decades. They are just trying again, albeit not quite as ambitiously, with their current push to be more premium.

Also if you look at Ford's ST brand I wonder if Mazdaspeed was more Ford culture than Mazda all along.

https://jalopnik.com/it-was-japan-s...&utm_source=jalopnik_copy&utm_campaign=bottom

Also interesting commentary on the Japanese car industry in general.

I'll read the article when I have time, but regarding your comments in general: Mazda announced about a decade ago that they planned to move upmarket (albeit without really defining what that meant to them), though not necessarily away from the enthusiast market (remember the Miata!) and has been working towards that ever since. The pace of that development has increased in the past 3 years. Everyone cites the demise of the Speed3 as a sure sign that the brand is losing its enthusiast edge, but in truth that car was not terribly well developed and the MX-5 is a much btter example of the brand's performance image/orientation. What Mazda is trying to do these days is to make all their bread and butter vehicles perform as well or better than the competition without marginalizing their product offering. And they're doing a pretty good job of that IMO.

I think the short answer to your questions is "yes". Premium may not be stretch of a description but once you try to associate "luxury", I think it time will tell if they can be classified as that.

It's always a challenge when you change your business model without changing your branding name. Honda has Acura, Toyota/Lexus and so on. Because like it or not, folks/consumers will fixate on that brand stigma and the level/standard it was before.

Whether premium or not, Mazda still has some of the best handling, fun to drive vehicles in their segment, especially for a DD. So, you can say that they still cater to enthusiasts and if you're a weekend racer, a little bit of mods will satisfy the sporty crowd.

Premium may not be stretch of a description but once you try to associate "luxury", I think it time will tell if they can be classified as that.

Th entry level BMW, MB, Acura, Lexus, etc are just "near" luxury. Nissan/Infinity, Honda/Acura, Toyota/Lexus formed the concept of "premium" branded cars but also attached a higher MSRP for a little bit of upscale window dressing. Mazda seems to be differentiating themselves from the pack and keeping the MSRP within it's own segment.

Th entry level BMW, MB, Acura, Lexus, etc are just "near" luxury. Nissan/Infinity, Honda/Acura, Toyota/Lexus formed the concept of "premium" branded cars but also attached a higher MSRP for a little bit of upscale window dressing. Mazda seems to be differentiating themselves from the pack and keeping the MSRP within it's own segment.

Which I think is why the take rate is so high on the upper trims. If thats how youre cross shopping Mazda is an excellent value.

I'll read the article when I have time, but regarding your comments in general: Mazda announced about a decade ago that they planned to move upmarket (albeit without really defining what that meant to them), though not necessarily away from the enthusiast market (remember the Miata!) and has been working towards that ever since. The pace of that development has increased in the past 3 years. Everyone cites the demise of the Speed3 as a sure sign that the brand is losing its enthusiast edge, but in truth that car was not terribly well developed and the MX-5 is a much btter example of the brand's performance image/orientation. What Mazda is trying to do these days is to make all their bread and butter vehicles perform as well or better than the competition without marginalizing their product offering. And they're doing a pretty good job of that IMO.

This forum could use a like button. Good post.

That is why I have 3 Mazdas in my house.
Great C/P value, least expensive to maintain/repair (if needed), great handling (as an ex-BMW/Honda owner).
I have several co-workers that bought Mazdas because of me.... :).. after they sat in my ride and got surprised how nice it is.

My father in law pretty much only drives Honda or Toyota. I told him he should check out the 6 before he got his last Accord. He didnt and then we he saw our CX-5 was blown away lol.

Mazda is definitely putting real effort into their interiors and materials, but seems to have not completely lost sight of how a car should feel. With the revision of the 2019 miata, the turbo cx5, etc. I am actually super impressed. They are winning me back by stuffing a turbo in the cx5.

Which I think is why the take rate is so high on the upper trims. If that*s how you*re cross shopping Mazda is an excellent value.

+1 That is EXACTLY what I did! I looked at the Audi Q5, Acura RDX, etc. and just bought a 2019 Signature in Eternal Blue (pics, review, etc to follow next week or so) as the overall value was tough to beat.

+1 That is EXACTLY what I did! I looked at the Audi Q5, Acura RDX, etc. and just bought a 2019 Signature in Eternal Blue (pics, review, etc to follow next week or so) as the overall value was tough to beat.

Add the X3 to that list and change the color to Deep Crystal Blue and that's me!

Just picked it up this morning. :)

Add the X3 to that list and change the color to Deep Crystal Blue and that's me!

Just picked it up this morning. :)
Congrats! One thing I noticed is that some of the Mazda paints are hard to photograph. The Soul Red I went with is one of those, it looks mediocre to nice in photos but incredible in person.

And while I was test driving I noticed that both of the CX-5 blues (Eternal and Deep) look a lot nicer in person. A lot of paints are the opposite, you drool over photos and then when you see the real thing its a big let down, so plain and flat.

Thats why I think Ill like the new 3 more once I see it in person. The soul red is a very dynamic color for sure.

Back