Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is this push to premium really new for Mazda?

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by jthj View Post
    Aren*t they made in Mexico?
    Screw that. Absolutely killed my desire to own one.

Registered Member

2013 CX-5 Touring FWD; 2013 BMW Z4 35i

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Screw that. Absolutely killed my desire to own one.
    Whatever...
    Last edited by paris1; 12-29-2018 at 10:35 PM.

Registered Member

Arenít they made in Mexico?
    It is my understanding that production will be coming first from Japan while the Mexican plant is being retooled to produce the new model. Current model is sourced from both Mexico and Japan. I suspect the the new model will continue with that. Models with the new Skyactiv-X engines will most likely be Japan only for the foreseeable future.

Registered Member

2013 CX-5 Touring FWD; 2013 BMW Z4 35i

Quote Originally Posted by unixxus View Post
    It is my understanding that production will be coming first from Japan while the Mexican plant is being retooled to produce the new model. Current model is sourced from both Mexico and Japan. I suspect the the new model will continue with that. Models with the new Skyactiv-X engines will most likely be Japan only for the foreseeable future.
    That sounds like a likely scenario.

Registered Member

2006 Toyota 4Runner Sports Edition, V6 4x4

I'm glad to see Mazda becoming more premium. I test drive the CX-5 Signature tomorrow and I already know that the most un-premium thing is probably going to be the infotainment and speaker system. I'm totally anchored to the RDX's ELS 3D sound system and infotainment system. I think Mazda really needs to update to a better sound system and infotainment (higher res, bigger screen) in order to get more premium. I'm hoping 2020 brings that so I can purchase then.

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by unixxus View Post
    Yeah, the Mazda 3 forums have some shots of the cars lined up and ready to get onto the ships (clearly in Asia). They also have the Euro spec figures for the Euro Sky-X (181 hp).

https://mazda3revolution.com/forums/...1-post112.html
    2014 Silver Mazda CX-5 GT
    2017 Eternal Blue Mazda 3 Touring
    2018 Machine Grey Mazda CX-9 Signature

Donated: $40

Mazda

Mazda tried going upmarket decades ago. Anyone remember Amati and the Millenia S with the Yamaha Miller Cycle engine in it?
    Amati was supposed to be to Mazda what Acura is to Honda and Lexus is to Toyota. It didn't work out, even the car was way ahead of it's time and the car ended up being a Mazda that was completely under advertised and over looked.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_Millenia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amati_Cars
    Last edited by Natey; 12-30-2018 at 01:44 PM.
    NPOT (Norcal Protege Options Team)
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/335883...photo-gallery/

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by Natey View Post
    Mazda tried going upmarket decades ago. Anyone remember Amati and the Millenia S with the Yamaha Miller Cycle engine in it?
    Amati was supposed to be to Mazda what Acura is to Honda and Lexus is to Toyota. It didn't work out, even the car was way ahead of it's time and the car ended up being a Mazda that was completely under advertised and over looked.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amati_Cars
    Thatís what the Jalopnik article I linked when starting this thread was about. Itís a long but good read.

Donated: $40

Mazda

Oops, sorry! EDIT: Just read the entire thing. Pretty cool article!

Here's another lil tidbit:

Mazdaspeed was originally called Mazda Sports Corner and was a small group of techs inside Mazda working behind their boss's back. Once they started winning races, The higher ups at Mazda took notice, started funding them, and turned their group into Mazdaspeed.

Nothing to do with Ford and this all happened in the late 60's/early 70's. We can thank those guys for the RX-7 and Mazda's win at LeMans
    Last edited by Natey; 12-30-2018 at 01:59 PM.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

Ah ok so a pretty similar story to how they did things over at Dodge under the cover against corporate. But eventually the leadership embraced it when they figured out that sells.

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Natey View Post
    Oops, sorry! EDIT: Just read the entire thing. Pretty cool article!

Here's another lil tidbit:

Mazdaspeed was originally called Mazda Sports Corner and was a small group of techs inside Mazda working behind their boss's back. Once they started winning races, The higher ups at Mazda took notice, started funding them, and turned their group into Mazdaspeed.

Nothing to do with Ford and this all happened in the late 60's/early 70's. We can thank those guys for the RX-7 and Mazda's win at LeMans
    Neat story. Very Morris Garages like.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

I know this is the forum section where threads go to die, but I was looking up the PDF manual for my 2014 so I can review how to replace my headlights and make sure I am buying the right types.

Anyway...page 1 was pretty rich....

^ That's the kinda Mazda that feels so right.
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD 2.5L | Jet Black Mica - 83k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 delivery

2014 Mazda3 S GT auto, 2008 MX5 6-speed

Iím probably keeping my GTI. But I will hold off judgment until I see the 3 in person. AWD is tempting but the 3 wonít get the 2.5t anytime soon so to me itís a downgrade vs GTI.
    It's ironic that although the GTI typically wins accolades from car magazines, Consumer Reports has consistently included it in their "Worst of the worst" category for overall reliability. It reminds me of the Corvette - great performance but horrible reliability. This is deal-killer for me when it comes to VWs and Chevies. If a Mazda3 is even 80% as good as a GTI in handling performance, I'll take the 3.
    2014 3S GT, Deep Crystal Blue, Eibach Pro-Kit, Enkei PF01s, Koni Sports, Pirelli P ZERO ALL SEASON PLUS tires, 225/45/18
    2008 MX-5 Touring (Mazdaspeed CAI, HIDs, Progress/Koni Sports/Racing Beat sways, SST Magnaflow muffler and tips)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123