Higher Mantaince ?

I've ALWAYS preformed all maintenance on my vehicles, ie tuneups, brakes, timing belt replacement etc. You get the idea, but, at 80+ years old, I do have difficulty bending over for the length of time required to do a spark plug replacement. I suspect that a dealer will charge ~ $300 for a spark plug change and an independent will do $250 using factory plugs. Not a deal killer or much in the big picture but, irritating. Ed

It's absurdly easy, even at 80, I honestly don't think it would challenge you, as long as you're a fully mobile and healthy 80, as you make it sound like you are. It's all of about 10 minutes.

Which reminds me my snowblower probably needs an oil change. That Ego snowblower looks tempting.

I wish this would work for my estate, but it won't. That said, I use autonomous vacuuming in the house 98% (can't get stairs). I went with iLife, as their products are plug/play and have done great for me so far at a very sensible cost.

Maybe one of these and then have staggered mowing on different days? Or are you looking for snow removal?

https://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/robotic-lawn-mowers/automower-450x/967646405/
h310-1176.ashx

These do up 1.25 acres. Most of them auto-dock these days for charging. I bought one of the first Robomowers when they came out in the early 2000's. I used it for about 6 or 7 years before I sold it.

JL940284.jpg

At the time biggest problem was amazement of people stopping their cars to watch it from street or kids who wanted to play with it. My wife put these big eyes on the front of it so that didn't help with the kids being enamored with it.

Why is it that turbos are harder on spark plugs though? I would have thought with the turbo providing the same power at lower RPMs, it would actually be easier on the plugs because they arent firing as much?

I believe its because they need to run cooler plugs to help prevent pre ignition, pressures are higher, which foul easier. But there may be more to it than that.

Maybe one of these and then have staggered mowing on different days? Or are you looking for snow removal?

https://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/robotic-lawn-mowers/automower-450x/967646405/
h310-1176.ashx

These do up 1.25 acres. Most of them auto-dock these days for charging. I bought one of the first Robomowers when they came out in the early 2000's. I used it for about 6 or 7 years before I sold it.

JL940284.jpg

At the time biggest problem was amazement of people stopping their cars to watch it from street or kids who wanted to play with it. My wife put these big eyes on the front of it so that didn't help with the kids being enamored with it.

I have a fair big of rough stuff (sticks, etc) and varied terrain, and so forth. Maintaining that thing would be a real pain, me thinks. Also, the mowable portion of the estate is around 5+ acres.

I have a fair big of rough stuff (sticks, etc) and varied terrain, and so forth. Maintaining that thing would be a real pain, me thinks. Also, the mowable portion of the estate is around 5+ acres.

In that case find I'd the biggest tractor with mower attachment you can afford. I'd even look at state/county auctions for something that was well maintained but can also make short work of 5 acres.

In that case find I'd the biggest tractor with mower attachment you can afford. I'd even look at state/county auctions for something that was well maintained but can also make short work of 5 acres.

I have a 48" YazooKees zero-turn, and will be upgrading to a 60 Exmark later '19.

I admire those who state they can do a spark plug change on a CX5 in 10 minutes. I probably would take 15 + minutes per plug with the inspections, cleaning and torquing the plugs to spec. :))

I admire those who state they can do a spark plug change on a CX5 in 10 minutes. I probably would take 15 + minutes per plug with the inspections, cleaning and torquing the plugs to spec. :))

Takes me damn near 1 hour honestly:

Takes me about 10 minutes to clean/prep the area. 5 minutes to remove bolts. 5 minutes to remove plugs. 5 minutes spent staring and comparing old to new bulbs. 5-minute beer break. 5 minutes bragging to wife how I'm saving major dough DIYing. 5-minute bathroom break. 5 minutes inserting new plugs. 5 minutes replacing bolts. 2 minutes admiring work. 5 minute test drive.

It isnt super torque sensitive. Uses a crush spacer. Nothing much to inspect, just verify gap in case someone dropped a plug on the floor before boxing. Its super quick and simple.

I could do it in 15-20. About what it took on my Volvo. Add 30 minutes, of course, looking for something that dropped somewhere in the bay. [emoji6][emoji849]

My 04 Forester turbo was at 80k with the original plugs when I sold it with no issues.

I*d encourage you to take your time when changing plugs if you*re not mechanically minded and do it on a nice day or inside when you aren*t under pressure. Don*t forget when it goes to a dealer or fast fit location, it isn*t a qualified technician that changes plugs, it*s Spotty Eric , the same guy that makes the coffee and takes the trash out. But having said that, when presented with the bill for having bolts cross threaded and clips broken, you will be charged for Mr Nuetron, the top scientist at the dealership. Go ahead, take your time, it isn*t a race and you will get some satisfaction from doing it.

Back