Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Car and Driver 2019 CX5 article.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

Yea 8 is probably about the sweet spot. Close 1-6 and then 7 and 8 for higher speed cruising.

Registered Member

CX5 2.5L AWD

Quote Originally Posted by jthj View Post
    Yea 8 is probably about the sweet spot. Close 1-6 and then 7 and 8 for higher speed cruising.
    To be fair, these SkyActiv 6As have really really done a solid. The fluid appears to truly be lifetime based on wear data and 300K miles being considered lifetime in my book, and not many issues from them. Also very good programming. Id like an 8A, but this slushbox is far from a problem.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

Car and Driver 2019 CX5 article.

Yea I would agree itís a pretty good auto. Not the fastest or the smoothest out there. But itís really well programmed imo and quick to downshift without making you mash the throttle. In other words itís just usually in the right gear and I like the direct feeling. Almost like a dual clutch.

Edit: wouldnít call it rough or slow either. Just isnít ZF seamless.
    Last edited by jthj; 12-29-2018 at 12:53 AM.

Registered Member

'14 liquid CX-5 AWD GT tech

Having just said goodbye to my X1 w/ZF-8 I honestly didn't think it was far superior or even smoother- quicker yes but all that's missing for me in the Mazda is paddles, maybe a 7th for highway cruise but I think I may actually prefer 6 to 8 honestly- 8 is more efficient but also more busy. Rear wheel drive is the main thing I miss about it...H/K stereo was alot better than Bose.
    247 community defender of: gen1 steering, styling, seats and gated shifter, compression ignition, rwd, Asian twins, winter tires, manual: tailgates, transmissions, ebrakes, also liquid silver and Lawson's Liquids FTFW!

My automotive lineage:
    1983 Toyota Celica GTS 5MT- aka rustback
    1984 Toyota Supra 5MT- change averse much?
    1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo 5MT- good times- newfound respect for term mid-engined oversteer!
    2002 MB C230 Coupe 6MT- 1st new car(chosen over GTI) and a good one until gremlins came
    +good house/bad driveway
    2006 Acura TL 6MT (shortest ownership by far 1year of tq steer&driveway fails>enough)
    2007 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L -not much to say boring excellence?
    2009 BMW 128i 6MT - End of the old-school bimmers probably should have kept.. wanted 4drs
    2014 Mazda CX-5 AWD GT - what can I say not so boring excellence? I continue to be impressed.
    2015 BMW X1 RWD Msport - Liked it, fast enough and still did donuts, e-steering wouldn't let me love it
    and then..?

Registrierte Benutzer Chris_Top_Her's Avatar
    Donated: $45
    CX Moderator

'15 CX-5 Miata GT AWD w/Tech 2.5L

Quote Originally Posted by jthj View Post
    Yea I would agree it*s a pretty good auto. Not the fastest or the smoothest out there. But it*s really well programmed imo and quick to downshift without making you mash the throttle. In other words it*s just usually in the right gear and I like the direct feeling. Almost like a dual clutch.

Edit: wouldn*t call it rough or slow either. Just isn*t ZF seamless.
    I like it. it's very WOT blip friendly if you time it correctly /don't rev into fuel cutoff from momentum. No experience with a ZF though to compare.

2019 Signature CX-5 Black Mica

Quote Originally Posted by Monterra View Post
    Having just said goodbye to my X1 w/ZF-8 I honestly didn't think it was far superior or even smoother- quicker yes but all that's missing for me in the Mazda is paddles, maybe a 7th for highway cruise but I think I may actually prefer 6 to 8 honestly- 8 is more efficient but also more busy. Rear wheel drive is the main thing I miss about it...H/K stereo was alot better than Bose.
    I agree with the the 6A being less busy. Shifts take time and time cost acceleration. I wish the AWD system was predominately RWD with the front engaging only when needed. This would give the CX5 much better driver characteristics.

Registered Member

Acura TSX

A couple extra gears would be nice - I found on my extended test drive of the Signature that I found myself in the "wrong" gear a few times b/c the gearing wasn't quite right for the situation. Whereas the 10 speed in the RDX I also drove had enough gears that it was easy to find the right spot (it also felt awesome ripping off a bundle of shifts on hard acceleration).

Registered Member

19 CX-5 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by ebin View Post
    A couple extra gears would be nice - I found on my extended test drive of the Signature that I found myself in the "wrong" gear a few times b/c the gearing wasn't quite right for the situation. Whereas the 10 speed in the RDX I also drove had enough gears that it was easy to find the right spot (it also felt awesome ripping off a bundle of shifts on hard acceleration).
    Test drove the RDX after the 5 and the RDX wasnt in the same zip code for us. After test drive we politely declined to even run numbers cause the answer was clearly no.

Registered Member

Acura TSX

Quote Originally Posted by kone View Post
    Test drove the RDX after the 5 and the RDX wasnt in the same zip code for us. After test drive we politely declined to even run numbers cause the answer was clearly no.
    What was it for you? I had the RDX A-Spec for 3 hours and then the CX-5 for an overnight and I generally prefer the RDX - it's sportier, roomier, and more luxurious. I'm not sure it's worth the extra $10K in Canadian dollars so the wife and I are giving it some deep thought.

13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

2 things I want to point out:

1: 6.2 is impressive given the CX-5's programming is set to provide smooth power delivery. In other words not not even performance oriented "speed" model. You'd get sub 6 numbers easily after even after a light tune. Otherwise Stock, Mazda isn't trying to be the 0-60 king in its class but it just is without even really trying.

2: Tires Tires tires. This thing is faster to 60 than the Mazda6 which is lighter. Just proves how much grip makes a meaningful difference. In this case AWD helps make better use of 300lbs tq. An AWD Mazda6t with summer tires should be in the mid 5's.

Registered Member

19 CX-5 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by ebin View Post
    What was it for you? I had the RDX A-Spec for 3 hours and then the CX-5 for an overnight and I generally prefer the RDX - it's sportier, roomier, and more luxurious. I'm not sure it's worth the extra $10K in Canadian dollars so the wife and I are giving it some deep thought.
    We didn*t drive the A-Spec but tbh right off the top my wife hated the styling, mostly the Acura triangle grill. I just thought the drive was blah. The 5 made me want to drive it more, still does, my wife was shocked I decided to take it out in the rain last night after just picking it up that morning.

Registered Member

CX5 2.5L AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Monterra View Post
    Quicker and more efficient matters a lot...

What do you mean by "busy"? I don't understand. It's not like you're shifting it or doing anything to affect it, especially without paddles in the Mazda product.

Registered Member

CX5 2.5L AWD

Quote Originally Posted by CX-5um View Post
    2 things I want to point out:

1: 6.2 is impressive given the CX-5's programming is set to provide smooth power delivery. In other words not not even performance oriented "speed" model. You'd get sub 6 numbers easily after even after a light tune. Otherwise Stock, Mazda isn't trying to be the 0-60 king in its class but it just is without even really trying.

2: Tires Tires tires. This thing is faster to 60 than the Mazda6 which is lighter. Just proves how much grip makes a meaningful difference. In this case AWD helps make better use of 300lbs tq. An AWD Mazda6t with summer tires should be in the mid 5's.
    Like I said all along...250hp is 250hp, I don't care what RPM it happens at. Also justifies why I thought the turbo 6 I drove was a dog, and for the same reasons. It couldn't put any power down.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

The X1 uses an Asin I thought. At least the current gen. Was it ZF previously?

Registered Member

CX5 2.5L AWD

Quote Originally Posted by SignatureCX5 View Post
    I agree with the the 6A being less busy. Shifts take time and time cost acceleration. I wish the AWD system was predominately RWD with the front engaging only when needed. This would give the CX5 much better driver characteristics.
    A few milliseconds...and you gain so much area under the curve.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast