Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Car and Driver 2019 CX5 article.

Registered Member

'14 liquid CX-5 AWD GT tech, '19 Veloster N

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver View Post
    There you go, Unobtanium. Who wins the bet?
    Yeah this is fake news- had zero effective impact on the bet--6.6 was his (and I'll call it what it is) bs effort to appease. He could've made it interesting and/or doubled it on the 6.2 number but chose to preserve his 50 in the bank like an aarp member instead which is fine. The bet is over, VW killed diesel here- Hyundai's is dead here now too- so yeah way more pissed at that than losing 50 bucks and the stick in the eye is hearing their gay ass govt mandated commercials ad fkn nauseam on Pandora about electric vehicles are here and everyone that hasn't/doesn't convert is driving in the past. FU VW, FU- every time that shit comes on I literally want to puke. It ain't over till its official but saying I have a snowball's chance in hell is generous at this point and that is quite sad...but we have a turbo CX-5 now that's actually pretty quick and is capable of 30 on the road so that's some consolation.
    Last edited by Monterra; 12-28-2018 at 03:48 PM.
    247 community defender of: gen1 steering, styling, seats and gated shifter, compression ignition, rwd, Asian twins, winter tires, manual: tailgates, transmissions, ebrakes, also liquid silver and Lawson's Liquids FTFW!

My automotive lineage:
    1983 Toyota Celica GTS 5MT- aka rustback
    1984 Toyota Supra 5MT- oh what a feelin!
    1991 Toyota MR2T 5MT- Awesome- fun AND dangerous
    2002 MB C230 Coupe 6MT- 1st new car(chosen over GTI)- good until gremlins
    +enter bad driveway
    2006 Acura TL 6MT (shortest ownership by far 1year of tq steer&driveway fails>enough)
    2007 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L -boring excellence
    2009 BMW 128i 6MT - End of the old-school bimmers- should have kept.. wanted 4drs
    2014 Mazda CX-5 AWD GT - Not so boring excellence- continues to impress
    2015 BMW X1 RWD Msport - Liked it, fast and still did donuts, e-steering=fail
    2019 Hyundai Veloster N- 5.2 to 60(for uno)- fun/dollar untouchable right now(well BRZ but Veloster has a real back seat and smokes it)

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

I personally look forward to electric cars.

Registered Member

Not saying there's anything wrong w/them but now we're being forcefed ads because VW are cheating scumbags and effectively killed an old-school but still viable mode of propulsion.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

I think they were all cheating. VW is just the one that got made an example of.

Not the first or last time this kind of thing will happen either.

Registered Member

Not all- Mazda wanted it, but didn't. I'm sure they weren't alone but were far and away the most egregious and they deserved everything they got and more imo. MB looked guilty also..
    Last edited by Monterra; 12-28-2018 at 05:12 PM.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2017 CX5 AWD Touring

With a 0-60mph time of 6.2 seconds that should equate to a 14.90 @ 96mph in the 1/4 mile

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by Monterra View Post
    Not all- Mazda wanted it, but didn't. I'm sure they weren't alone but were far and away the most egregious and they deserved everything they got and more imo. MB looked guilty also..
    I donít know about that. The whole thing was kinda stupid in that the fixed vehicles mostly just use more add blue. Also the actual increase in emissions was small.

Mazda is small so not really a target. But if you look at the largest automakers theyíve almost all been caught at some point cheating on something. Several recent cases on MPG ratings come to mind.

Also what the heck is going on at Nissan?

Anyway life will go on. Electric cars have the potential to be pretty awesome when itís not a compliance car penalty box.

See Tesla.

2017 BMW X1

Quote Originally Posted by jthj View Post
    I personally look forward to electric cars.
    Itíll be interesting to see how the used electric car market plays out. I can see them having massive depreciation once the novelty wears off since batteries are a ticking clock. Fixer uppers wonít be so fun when the projects all start with the expense of a new $4k battery. :/

Registered Member

14.8@95 according to C/D...hey C/D- 14.8 to 95, but nearly 2 full ticks more- 16.7 to go 0-100? Somebody cookin the data books?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jthj View Post
    I don*t know about that. The whole thing was kinda stupid in that the fixed vehicles mostly just use more add blue. Also the actual increase in emissions was small.

Mazda is small so not really a target. But if you look at the largest automakers they*ve almost all been caught at some point cheating on something. Several recent cases on MPG ratings come to mind.

Also what the heck is going on at Nissan?

Anyway life will go on. Electric cars have the potential to be pretty awesome when it*s not a compliance car penalty box.

See Tesla.
    Nooooooooo..c'mon dude padding numbers on mpg ratings and installing cheat devices to hide toxic emissions on millions of vehicles (difference in emissions was NOT small) are completely different animals..and fuck Elon and Tesla..but that's just me.
    Last edited by Monterra; 12-28-2018 at 05:43 PM.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by jmhumr View Post
    Itíll be interesting to see how the used electric car market plays out. I can see them having massive depreciation once the novelty wears off since batteries are a ticking clock. Fixer uppers wonít be so fun when the projects all start with the expense of a new $4k battery. :/
    Or and industry to refurb batteries develops. Also in a lot of other ways the cars have significantly less maintenance.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

Ok well this is getting pretty angry so Iím out.

Registered Member

Sorry but lumping dieselgate in w/other makers padding numbers to make things look rosier than they are, while related are vastly different levels of evil..

"When the cars were operating under controlled laboratory conditions - which typically involve putting them on a stationary test rig - the device appears to have put the vehicle into a sort of safety mode in which the engine ran below normal power and performance. Once on the road, the engines switched out of this test mode.

The result? The engines emitted nitrogen oxide pollutants up to 40 times above what is allowed in the US."
    Last edited by Monterra; 12-28-2018 at 06:40 PM.

Donated: $5

2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

Quote Originally Posted by Monterra View Post
    14.8@95 according to C/D...hey C/D- 14.8 to 95, but nearly 2 full ticks more- 16.7 to go 0-100? Somebody cookin the data books?
    That caught my eye, too. But maybe not if it's past the power peak in 4th. And it may well be considering that torque curve.

Could be a typo, too.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

If people will be civil Iíll continue to discuss the point is, need to find the numbers, is itís 40x a very tiny allowed amount thatís still tiny.

There is nothing ďgoodĒ about it I just think it gets sensationalized and blown up. The MPG padding is more directly harming the consumer in some ways imo.

We need cleaner energy and transport ect. Clean diesel imo is kind of like clean coal. Yes itís technically possible but itís not easy or cheap after a point and we ought to move forward anyway.

Electric cars can be great. Obviously how we generate that electricity matters. And battery technology needs to advance. I think we can do it and the future can be bright.

PS there are just so many things companies cheat on..... itís like human nature I think. People will cheat when they think they can get away with it.

And when I saw C&D before and after the fix testing I couldnít help think that it wasnít even that worth it. Just make the add blue tank larger!

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast