Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Car and Driver 2019 CX5 article.

Registered Member

CX5 2.5L AWD

Now one wonders...could the 2.5T find its way under the hood of an AWD 6-speed manual Mazda 3...?

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

Mazda has said that isnít happening regarding return of MazdaSpeed. The current leadership thinks it was immature.

That would have been interesting to me for sure and their statements about that not happening strongly influenced my decision to go with the GTI.

Honestly I kind of agree the MS3 is immature. I was much younger in itís hey day and honestly wouldnít buy one today. In fact one of the things I didnít like about my ST was the immaturity and itís what completely turned me off from the CTR. I do want something mature like the GTI or Mazda 3 with good performance.

Now anything is possible I suppose but itís also worth pointing out they ditched the IRS on the next gen 3. Not sure if they designed it such that one could be added or if they used that space. Iím guessing the latter and adding back for a performance variant will mean compromises.

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Top_Her View Post
    Well don't forget; corksport already has an intake for the 2.5T, and autoexe has a bunch of suspension mods and some body kit. https://www.autoexe.co.jp/english/car/kf.html

Yeah, the corksport kit sounds fantastic on the Mazda 6 and CX-9. I think they are seeing 4-6 HP gains on the kit itself and there are some reports of 93 tunes giving an extra 25+ HP. I think fully modded, this engine could be pushing 280 HP and 330 lb. The more they sell of this, the more potential customers and more companies that will offer mods. This is could benefit everyone.
    Last edited by dougal; 12-28-2018 at 11:50 AM.
    2014 Silver Mazda CX-5 GT
    2017 Eternal Blue Mazda 3 Touring
    2018 Machine Grey Mazda CX-9 Signature

Registered Member

17 CX-5 GT 14 CX-5 GT (sold)

Performance-wise the CX5 turbo is now competitive with the luxury brands on HP with more torque down low (310 lb-ft @ 2000 RPM) and zero turbo lag. All for roughly $20K less than each of these. Also looks better inside and out than all but the Fpace in my opinion, but that is subjective.

Audi Q5 252 HP, 5.8
    BMW X3 248 HP, 6.2
    MB GLC300 241 HP, 5.9
    Volvo XC60 250 HP, 6.4
    Jaguar Fpace 247 HP, 6.2

US Specs in Europe boandlkramer's Avatar

'17 CX-5 GT AWD; '18 BMW X3

Car and Driver 2019 CX5 article.

Quote Originally Posted by jthj View Post
    I would put 245ís on with 8Ē rims.

Use factory wheels for a winter set.
    I would lower it about two inches and put sprewell spinners with curb feelers, NOW THATS LIT!!!!
    Last edited by boandlkramer; 12-28-2018 at 11:17 AM.
    -2017 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring Soul Red Premium
    -2018 BMW X3 xDrive30i Phytonic Blue - ZCV, ZDA, ZPK, ZPP

Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Mazda has said that isn*t happening regarding return of MazdaSpeed. The current leadership thinks it was immature.

That would have been interesting to me for sure and their statements about that not happening strongly influenced my decision to go with the GTI.

Honestly I kind of agree the MS3 is immature. I was much younger in it*s hey day and honestly wouldn*t buy one today. In fact one of the things I didn*t like about my ST was the immaturity and it*s what completely turned me off from the CTR. I do want something mature like the GTI or Mazda 3 with good performance.

Now anything is possible I suppose but it*s also worth pointing out they ditched the IRS on the next gen 3. Not sure if they designed it such that one could be added or if they used that space. I*m guessing the latter and adding back for a performance variant will mean compromises.
    Sure the 20 something with a blue WRX with big ass mudflaps is immature.

I fail to see how having just a fast line is innately "immature". Mazdaspeed is a moniker. Call it whatever the hell you want, drop it into these "luxury" Mazdas. Don't see one bit how that is "immature".
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD | Jet Black Mica - 77k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 buy

US Specs in Europe boandlkramer's Avatar

'17 CX-5 GT AWD; '18 BMW X3

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver View Post

I fail to see how having just a fast line is innately "immature". Mazdaspeed is a moniker. Call it whatever the hell you want, drop it into these "luxury" Mazdas. Don't see one bit how that is "immature".
    Agreed, nobody calls AMG, ///M, or RS ďimmatureĒ
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

17 CX-5 GT 14 CX-5 GT (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by boandlkramer View Post
    Agreed, nobody calls AMG, ///M, or RS *immature*
    So true, but I can't see Mazda dropping a 350-400 HP turbo V6 into a CX5, which they would need to do to compete with AMG GLC, SQ5, or X3M. But maybe they will and sell it for $50K and be about $20K under the competition again.
    RSQ5 would be another power level up.

Donated: $25

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

Now anything is possible I suppose but it*s also worth pointing out they ditched the IRS on the next gen 3. Not sure if they designed it such that one could be added or if they used that space. I*m guessing the latter and adding back for a performance variant will mean compromises.
    I read an article a couple of weeks ago that stated that one of the benefits of switching to rear torsion beam suspension was the increase in cargo space.

EDIT: This wasn't pulled from the article I mentioned, but I came across this from a 2017 article:

"Also, our expert in chassis dynamics already has tested (the new platform) for high-speed, bumpy roads, and everything is better than the current Mazda3's multi-link suspension."

Mr Fujiwara explained that newly developed rubber bushings in the trailing link of the new suspension had met the company's requirements.

"So far, it's been very difficult meeting vehicle dynamics, ride comfort and reliability but we have managed it with these special bushings on a torsion beam axle," he said.

"Also the torsion beam axle is much, much better than multi-link suspension in terms of road noise, so we selected that in reducing road noise for customers."

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

Car and Driver 2019 CX5 article.

Yea I saw all of that too yet somehow in other automakers cars itís the opposite. I am not convinced..... we shall have to see when the car is released.

Savagegeese actually talks about this in a few of his recent reviews in this segment. My guess here is itís good enough and most people donít care. But will care about the extra space that was gained.
    Last edited by jthj; 12-28-2018 at 12:04 PM.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver View Post

No having something faster isnít inherently immature. It was the overall package of the speed3. And OMG the torque steer was so bad

They could do something more like the GTI and R that would be great and mature. Iíd seriously consider one of they did that.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by boandlkramer View Post
    Agreed, nobody calls AMG, ///M, or RS ďimmatureĒ
    Because they arenít. The speed3 and Civic Type R are. WRX isnít too bad imo. But that STi wing........

2017 BMW X1

Because they arenít. The speed3 and Civic Type R are. WRX isnít too bad imo. But that STi wing........
    Agreed. Japanese ďperformanceĒ cars have a reputation of being synonymous with the youthful automod community who enjoys garish spoilers, ground effects, etc. Nothing wrong with people who enjoy that stuff (not my cup of tea), but Mazda is rightly focused on revolutionizing itís brand image. To have any success at this strategy they need to ditch their past. Some people here gripe about that, but Mazda has made up its mind to target a different customer base.

Once Mazda completes the transition then maybe theyíll consider ďluxury performanceĒ like Audi RS. But it wonít be cheap.

2014 CX-5 AWD GT w/Tech Pkg

The engine is paired with all-wheel drive and is found in the top two trim levels, the Grand Touring Reserve and the new Signature (lesser models continue to use the 187-hp naturally aspirated 2.5-liter four-banger).

I would have preferred if they used "other" instead of "lesser" ...

Frankly, the CX-5 Signature is nicer*to drive, to look at, and to sit in*than some similarly sized crossovers with full-on premium badges (we're looking at you, Cadillac XT4 and Acura RDX).

I totally agree with this statement. Over the holidays the XT4 has been blasting the airwaves with ads stating that it starts at under $36K. A disclaimer says over $54K as shown! For $hits & giggles, I priced one out with similar equipment that my 2019 CX-5 GT w/PP has and topped it out at over $20K more than what I had paid.
    All In The Family
    2019 Mazda CX-5 AWD GT w/PP
    2016 Mazda3 Touring

2014 Mazda CX-5 AWD GT w/Tech Pkg
    2014 BMW E84 xDrive28i - RETIRED (replaced w/2019 CX-5)
    2013 Mazda CX-5 AWD GT w/Tech Pkg
    2013 Mazda MZD3i FWD GT w/Tech Pkg
    2009 BMW E90 328xi - RETIRED (replaced w/2014 E84)

2007 BMW E92 328i - RETIRED (replaced w/2014 CX-5)

Registered Member

2007 Mazda 3 5-door

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    "seems" and "is" are very different creatures, respectively. Especially when it comes to speed and vehicles.
    https://hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/fi...1529597109.pdf
    Yeah, maybe itís faster than I thought. This morning I got on the freeway and found myself going 80 at the end of the on-ramp and it didnít take very long and I donít even think I totally floored it either. It doesnít feel like it rockets you off the line but it pulls pretty hard at speed.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast