Car and Driver 2019 CX5 article.

Mazda has said that isn*t happening regarding return of MazdaSpeed. The current leadership thinks it was immature.

That would have been interesting to me for sure and their statements about that not happening strongly influenced my decision to go with the GTI.

Honestly I kind of agree the MS3 is immature. I was much younger in it*s hey day and honestly wouldn*t buy one today. In fact one of the things I didn*t like about my ST was the immaturity and it*s what completely turned me off from the CTR. I do want something mature like the GTI or Mazda 3 with good performance.

Now anything is possible I suppose but it*s also worth pointing out they ditched the IRS on the next gen 3. Not sure if they designed it such that one could be added or if they used that space. I*m guessing the latter and adding back for a performance variant will mean compromises.

Sure the 20 something with a blue WRX with big ass mudflaps is immature.

I fail to see how having just a fast line is innately "immature". Mazdaspeed is a moniker. Call it whatever the hell you want, drop it into these "luxury" Mazdas. Don't see one bit how that is "immature".

I fail to see how having just a fast line is innately "immature". Mazdaspeed is a moniker. Call it whatever the hell you want, drop it into these "luxury" Mazdas. Don't see one bit how that is "immature".

Agreed, nobody calls AMG, ///M, or RS immature

Agreed, nobody calls AMG, ///M, or RS *immature*

So true, but I can't see Mazda dropping a 350-400 HP turbo V6 into a CX5, which they would need to do to compete with AMG GLC, SQ5, or X3M. But maybe they will and sell it for $50K and be about $20K under the competition again.
RSQ5 would be another power level up.

Now anything is possible I suppose but it*s also worth pointing out they ditched the IRS on the next gen 3. Not sure if they designed it such that one could be added or if they used that space. I*m guessing the latter and adding back for a performance variant will mean compromises.

I read an article a couple of weeks ago that stated that one of the benefits of switching to rear torsion beam suspension was the increase in cargo space.

EDIT: This wasn't pulled from the article I mentioned, but I came across this from a 2017 article:

"Also, our expert in chassis dynamics already has tested (the new platform) for high-speed, bumpy roads, and everything is better than the current Mazda3's multi-link suspension."

Mr Fujiwara explained that newly developed rubber bushings in the trailing link of the new suspension had met the company's requirements.

"So far, it's been very difficult meeting vehicle dynamics, ride comfort and reliability but we have managed it with these special bushings on a torsion beam axle," he said.

"Also the torsion beam axle is much, much better than multi-link suspension in terms of road noise, so we selected that in reducing road noise for customers."

Last edited:
Yea I saw all of that too yet somehow in other automakers cars its the opposite. I am not convinced..... we shall have to see when the car is released.

Savagegeese actually talks about this in a few of his recent reviews in this segment. My guess here is its good enough and most people dont care. But will care about the extra space that was gained.

Last edited:

No having something faster isnt inherently immature. It was the overall package of the speed3. And OMG the torque steer was so bad

They could do something more like the GTI and R that would be great and mature. Id seriously consider one of they did that.

Because they arent. The speed3 and Civic Type R are. WRX isnt too bad imo. But that STi wing........

Agreed. Japanese performance cars have a reputation of being synonymous with the youthful automod community who enjoys garish spoilers, ground effects, etc. Nothing wrong with people who enjoy that stuff (not my cup of tea), but Mazda is rightly focused on revolutionizing its brand image. To have any success at this strategy they need to ditch their past. Some people here gripe about that, but Mazda has made up its mind to target a different customer base.

Once Mazda completes the transition then maybe theyll consider luxury performance like Audi RS. But it wont be cheap.

The engine is paired with all-wheel drive and is found in the top two trim levels, the Grand Touring Reserve and the new Signature (lesser models continue to use the 187-hp naturally aspirated 2.5-liter four-banger).

I would have preferred if they used "other" instead of "lesser" ...

Frankly, the CX-5 Signature is nicer*to drive, to look at, and to sit in*than some similarly sized crossovers with full-on premium badges (we're looking at you, Cadillac XT4 and Acura RDX).

I totally agree with this statement. Over the holidays the XT4 has been blasting the airwaves with ads stating that it starts at under $36K. A disclaimer says over $54K as shown! For $hits & giggles, I priced one out with similar equipment that my 2019 CX-5 GT w/PP has and topped it out at over $20K more than what I had paid.

"seems" and "is" are very different creatures, respectively. Especially when it comes to speed and vehicles.
https://hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/files/mazdacx-9awd2018-1529597109.pdf
Yeah, maybe its faster than I thought. This morning I got on the freeway and found myself going 80 at the end of the on-ramp and it didnt take very long and I dont even think I totally floored it either. It doesnt feel like it rockets you off the line but it pulls pretty hard at speed.

There you go, Unobtanium. Who wins the bet?

Yeah this is fake news- had zero effective impact on the bet--6.6 was his (and I'll call it what it is) bs effort to appease. He could've made it interesting and/or doubled it on the 6.2 number but chose to preserve his 50 in the bank like an aarp member instead which is fine. The bet is over, VW killed diesel here- Hyundai's is dead here now too- so yeah way more pissed at that than losing 50 bucks and the stick in the eye is hearing their govt mandated commercials ad fkn nauseam on Pandora about electric vehicles are here and everyone that hasn't/doesn't convert is driving in the past. FU VW, FU- every time that s*** comes on I literally want to puke. It ain't over till its official but saying I have a snowball's chance in hell is generous at this point and that is quite sad...but we have a turbo CX-5 now that's actually pretty quick and is capable of 30 on the road so that's some consolation.

Not saying there's anything wrong w/them but now we're being forcefed ads because VW are cheating scumbags and effectively killed an old-school but still viable mode of propulsion.

I think they were all cheating. VW is just the one that got made an example of.

Not the first or last time this kind of thing will happen either.

Not all- Mazda wanted it, but didn't. I'm sure they weren't alone but were far and away the most egregious and they deserved everything they got and more imo. MB looked guilty also..

Last edited:
With a 0-60mph time of 6.2 seconds that should equate to a 14.90 @ 96mph in the 1/4 mile

Not all- Mazda wanted it, but didn't. I'm sure they weren't alone but were far and away the most egregious and they deserved everything they got and more imo. MB looked guilty also..

I dont know about that. The whole thing was kinda stupid in that the fixed vehicles mostly just use more add blue. Also the actual increase in emissions was small.

Mazda is small so not really a target. But if you look at the largest automakers theyve almost all been caught at some point cheating on something. Several recent cases on MPG ratings come to mind.

Also what the heck is going on at Nissan?

Anyway life will go on. Electric cars have the potential to be pretty awesome when its not a compliance car penalty box.

See Tesla.

I personally look forward to electric cars.

Itll be interesting to see how the used electric car market plays out. I can see them having massive depreciation once the novelty wears off since batteries are a ticking clock. Fixer uppers wont be so fun when the projects all start with the expense of a new $4k battery. :/

14.8@95 according to C/D...hey C/D- 14.8 to 95, but nearly 2 full ticks more- 16.7 to go 0-100? Somebody cookin the data books?

I don*t know about that. The whole thing was kinda stupid in that the fixed vehicles mostly just use more add blue. Also the actual increase in emissions was small.

Mazda is small so not really a target. But if you look at the largest automakers they*ve almost all been caught at some point cheating on something. Several recent cases on MPG ratings come to mind.

Also what the heck is going on at Nissan?

Anyway life will go on. Electric cars have the potential to be pretty awesome when it*s not a compliance car penalty box.

See Tesla.

Nooooooooo..c'mon dude padding numbers on mpg ratings and installing cheat devices to hide toxic emissions on millions of vehicles (difference in emissions was NOT small) are completely different animals..and **** Elon and Tesla..but that's just me.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back