Car and Driver 2019 CX5 article.

Itll be interesting to see how the used electric car market plays out. I can see them having massive depreciation once the novelty wears off since batteries are a ticking clock. Fixer uppers wont be so fun when the projects all start with the expense of a new $4k battery. :/

Or and industry to refurb batteries develops. Also in a lot of other ways the cars have significantly less maintenance.

Sorry but lumping dieselgate in w/other makers padding numbers to make things look rosier than they are, while related are vastly different levels of evil..

"When the cars were operating under controlled laboratory conditions - which typically involve putting them on a stationary test rig - the device appears to have put the vehicle into a sort of safety mode in which the engine ran below normal power and performance. Once on the road, the engines switched out of this test mode.

The result? The engines emitted nitrogen oxide pollutants up to 40 times above what is allowed in the US."

Last edited:
14.8@95 according to C/D...hey C/D- 14.8 to 95, but nearly 2 full ticks more- 16.7 to go 0-100? Somebody cookin the data books?

That caught my eye, too. But maybe not if it's past the power peak in 4th. And it may well be considering that torque curve.

Could be a typo, too.

If people will be civil Ill continue to discuss the point is, need to find the numbers, is its 40x a very tiny allowed amount thats still tiny.

There is nothing good about it I just think it gets sensationalized and blown up. The MPG padding is more directly harming the consumer in some ways imo.

We need cleaner energy and transport ect. Clean diesel imo is kind of like clean coal. Yes its technically possible but its not easy or cheap after a point and we ought to move forward anyway.

Electric cars can be great. Obviously how we generate that electricity matters. And battery technology needs to advance. I think we can do it and the future can be bright.

PS there are just so many things companies cheat on..... its like human nature I think. People will cheat when they think they can get away with it.

And when I saw C&D before and after the fix testing I couldnt help think that it wasnt even that worth it. Just make the add blue tank larger!

I don't think I was uncivil.. I'm sure Antoine will let me know;)- if so I'm sorry it wasn't my intent..but if the limit is x(be it large or small) and you're 40x that limit that does something harmful you're a really bad actor, you should be punished, fined and people should go to jail. You're also forgetting that with this device most of these vehicles didn't even need urea- they're just better at diesel than everyone else! They got away with it for a long time, but it finally caught up w/them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XoAywOM5zs

Close second for me..the Ford/Firestone scandal..our cars don't roll over (too much) when there's 25lbs of air in tires- right Ford? Tire failures? Talk to Firestone!

Last edited:
You sounded pretty angry. When people get angry I find its best to walk away.

And the problem with 40x or whatever kind of statements is you can use them to make something sound really big or really small. I feel its media sensationalism.

But agreed not good and they got fined. I just prefer to move on.

Yeah this is fake news- had zero effective impact on the bet--6.6 was his (and I'll call it what it is) bs effort to appease. He could've made it interesting and/or doubled it on the 6.2 number but chose to preserve his 50 in the bank like an aarp member instead which is fine. The bet is over, VW killed diesel here- Hyundai's is dead here now too- so yeah way more pissed at that than losing 50 bucks and the stick in the eye is hearing their gay ass govt mandated commercials ad fkn nauseam on Pandora about electric vehicles are here and everyone that hasn't/doesn't convert is driving in the past. FU VW, FU- every time that s*** comes on I literally want to puke. It ain't over till its official but saying I have a snowball's chance in hell is generous at this point and that is quite sad...but we have a turbo CX-5 now that's actually pretty quick and is capable of 30 on the road so that's some consolation.

I'm cold and calculating. It was always this way.

Oh man that guy is such a tool. He lost me a long time ago with his opinionated rants.

Sounds like a short opinionated rant, if you ask me. Further, he offered me $50. How was I to refuse? If I offered to give you $50, would you refuse?

Man all this 0-60 talk is making me want to upgrade but that would be such a bad financial decision. Must resist.

Sounds like a short opinionated rant, if you ask me. Further, he offered me $50. How was I to refuse? If I offered to give you $50, would you refuse?

I guess just watch some more of his videos. Sometimes hes on point other times.... more often than not. I think hes a bit off. Hes entertaining at least. So I did watch more of them than I should have.

Well also doesnt it kinda drop off in the upper end? And aerodynamics is much more of an issue.

Performance-wise the CX5 turbo is now competitive with the luxury brands on HP with more torque down low (310 lb-ft @ 2000 RPM) and zero turbo lag. All for roughly $20K less than each of these. Also looks better inside and out than all but the Fpace in my opinion, but that is subjective.

Audi Q5 252 HP, 5.8
BMW X3 248 HP, 6.2
MB GLC300 241 HP, 5.9
Volvo XC60 250 HP, 6.4
Jaguar Fpace 247 HP, 6.2

The reviewer did say it had significant lag compared to the Volvo XC40, though.

Well also doesn*t it kinda drop off in the upper end? And aerodynamics is much more of an issue.

I honestly think it's a gearing thing. Also keep in mind aerodynamics is logarithmic. Look at the 0-120 time, though. It's honestly not shabby at all, I just think 95-100 is the literal bottom of the next gear.

Could be the case for sure. Maybe if they had an 8 speed with 1-6 more of close ratio setup..... maybe..... I think we need to stop the more gears nonsense at some point though as its starting to seem like diminishing returns.

Last edited:
Could be the case for sure. Maybe if they had an 8 speed with 1-6 more of close ratio setup..... maybe..... I think we need to stop the more gears nonsense at some point though as it*s starting to seem like diminishing returns.

I think a solid 8 speed would be great!

Back