Car and Driver 2019 CX5 article.

Yea I agree. Audi and BMW both have pretty nice infotainment though.

Also when I searched used it was hard to find any with the safety tech as it something typically only on the highest trim.

Edit: what strange to me is the system VW/Audi use is Panasonic. Why aren*t the Japanese automakers using it?

Industry relationships are really odd.

Lexus is typically Pioneer
I thought Lexus uses Mark Levinson as its premium sound system? Mark Levinson is owned by Harman who also makes Harman Kardon audio system. Then Harman is a subsidiary of Samsung Electronics from Korea.

No more blaupunkt?! [emoji23][emoji23]
Yeah no more Blaupunkt! Blaupunkt used to be big especially in Europe. I installed Blaupunkt head unit and speakers on my 1998 Honda CR-V only the head unit now switched to Sony. Unfortunately its hard to find any Blaupunkt products nowadays, and many people dont even know the name! :(

Yeah no more Blaupunkt! Blaupunkt used to be big especially in Europe. I installed Blaupunkt head unit and speakers on my 1998 Honda CR-V only the head unit now switched to Sony. Unfortunately it*s hard to find any Blaupunkt products nowadays, and many people don*t even know the name! :(

People know the name, it's all over Walmart and Auto Parts stores. It's junk, but I guess for the price, it works and is okay...They evented the car stereo, and then the Japanese took over, even a few US brands...

Last edited:
I thought Lexus uses Mark Levinson as it*s premium sound system? Mark Levinson is owned by Harman who also makes Harman Kardon audio system. Then Harman is a subsidiary of Samsung Electronics from Korea.

What I have seen in the GXs anyway is Pioneer head units, ML amplifers and speakers in top trim like mine and can't remember if it is a Pioneer amp in lower trims. I've also seen Fujitsu Ten head units in non-ML lower trim models as well.

Surely better out there but it's the best sounding stock stereo I have ever personally had in any vehicle. Mine has 17 speakers.

s-l1600.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202019-01-12%20at%207.09.14%20AM.png

People know the name, it's all over Walmart and Auto Parts stores. It's junk, but I guess for the price, it works and is okay...They evented the car stereo, and then the Japanese took over, even a few US brands...
Havent checked car audios at WalMart or auto parts stores for a while ⋯ ;) But I believe Blaupunkt once a subsidiary of German Robert Bosch had filed for bankruptcy and liquidated a couple of years ago.

Many old-and-famous audio brands are now owned by Korean such as Mark Levinson or Chinese.

What I have seen in the GXs anyway is Pioneer head units, ML amplifers and speakers in top trim like mine and can't remember if it is a Pioneer amp in lower trims. I've also seen Fujitsu Ten head units in non-ML lower trim models as well.
Yes as big as Toyota theyd have used many different suppliers for best possible price and quality.

Since Lexus has always been offering Mark Levinson as its premium sound system option, I thought your GXs head unit should be branded as ML too.

Surely better out there but it's the best sounding stock stereo I have ever personally had in any vehicle. Mine has 17 speakers.

Screen%20Shot%202019-01-12%20at%207.09.14%20AM.png

Speakers are the weakest point in an audio system and good speakers are expensive to make. 17-speaker system certainly should be impressive in a vehicle even if just looking at it on paper!

For comparison, your GX MLs sub-woofer uses 10/250mm speaker/driver but our gen-2 CX-5 Boses sub-woofer uses a tiny 5/130mm speaker/driver. Obviously GX system can offer much better bass sound than CX5s. 7 1/25mm tweeters located in various locations in GX are also helping high frequencies much better than 2 front tweeters in CX-5. Not to mention in my gen-1 CX-5, theres no tweeters nor sub-woofer in Bose system!

There is a reason they say No highs no lows it must be Bose

Gen 2 did at least add tweeters. I wouldnt say its bad but its not as good as most premium factory systems Ive experienced.

Gen 2 did at least add tweeters. I wouldnt say its bad but its not as good as most premium factory systems Ive experienced.

What I appreciate about the Bose systems is that detail doesn't get lost at low volume. I can't stand some of the other fancypants sound system brands that are dull until the volume is strong.

Call me crazy but to my ears the factory system in my 14 Mazda 6 (Tom Tom system) sounds better than the Bose in my wifes 18 CX5. Shes got more bass cuz of the sub but for some reason it doesnt sound.... great to me.

I liked the sound better in my 2000 Acura TL, but maybe its the source - Sirius XM is what I mostly listen to and it sounds flat.

Back