Car and Driver 2019 CX5 article.

Yeah, with some meatier tires and a new exhaust, this car will be a killer.

Also, the 2.5T in the Car and Driver and motor trend CX-9 long term tester broke in nicely and dropped the 0-60 time ever further.

I would put 245s on with 8 rims.

Use factory wheels for a winter set.

Last edited:
If it really is 6.2, then it's a game changer for the compact SUV class. With the demise of the 6-cylinder models and the Forester XT, nothing else in the class comes remotely close to 6.2. That's on par with the 4-cylinder BWM X3 and Audi Q5. The 2L Escape and Equinox/Terrain are both upwards of 7 seconds. This turbo CX-5 may yet force Toyota, Honda, and Subaru to bring back upgrade engines. They definitely underestimate the market for enthusiast minded consumers who want more than rental car level performance.

Last edited:
Hmmm that number surprises me. If I have my numbers correct that makes the turbo 5 faster than the BMW X1. I*ve driven both back to back recently and felt the X1 was quicker, even much quicker.

Maybe I missed it; did the article say anything about what gas was used, 87 or 93?

(I bought the 5 but haven*t been able to play yet)

Last edited:
Hmmm that number surprises me. If I have my numbers correct that makes the turbo 5 faster than the BMW X1. I*ve driven both back to back recently and felt the X1 was quicker, even much quicker.

Maybe I missed it; did the article say anything about what gas was used, 87 or 93?

(I bought the 5 but haven*t been able to play yet)

Remember, they are turning the TCS off when they do the test. Mazda's 7.2 number comes with TCS on.

Here you go boys. 6.2 second 0-60 stock. They mentioned stability control messing up skidpad testing but I mean I wouldn't expect much from some 225 tires lol.
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2019-mazda-cx-5-turbo-by-the-numbers

Well, Monty...sorry 'bout that. You better hope that RAV4 Hybrid 2019 model gets delayed of the CX5D drops hella fast...

Also...damn. I'm legit considering a CX5T pre-owned. 0-60 in 6.2 seconds is similar to what my 1995 Trans Am 2.73 diff/A4 trans allegedly did, and it was a fun ride. I think by the time I wear my RT43's out, I'll very possible be all about that. Work some OT for 2 weeks and break even in my current ride by throwing 5-6K at the difference, and do it! I think like I say, I'll wait for my tires to wear down to the 3-4/32 range, which I hope takes another 30-40K miles. By then I hope the 2.5T trickles down to other trim levels and I can snag a used one in the $25K range. I'm really just kindof done paying more than $400/mo for a vehicle to be honest. I want to cut back at work to 2 days a week, ultimately, in the next 5 years.

Original bet was steaks per Monterro, to him. Or $50 to me, as I live rural and the steaks may not survive.

The conditions were "CX5D drops (can be bought!) CONUS before the RAV4 Hybrid 2019.

Then since he became sullen, I said "I think the CX5T is hella fast compared to what Mazda claims..." but I padded it in my favor and said "0-60 of 6.6 seconds or less by any legit publication, and I'll take a loss on our bet". He tried for less, but since I felt confident in a win already, why risk it? Not that he disagreed with me, but to a drowning man, anything is a flotation device.

Last edited:
6.2 is fine, especially if passing power is there when you need it the most.

Agreed. I have literally zero ill to say about the vehicle, at its price-point, given this.

My only question is...87 or 93? What did they test with? It may well nip into the 5's just like I originally said if that 6.2 is on 87.

Agreed. I have literally zero ill to say about the vehicle, at its price-point, given this.

My only question is...87 or 93? What did they test with? It may well nip into the 5's just like I originally said if that 6.2 is on 87.
They called it a "250 hp" engine,so I'm assuming they tested with 93, since that's the rating for that octane. And having just received one myself, mine doesn't feel anywhere near 0-60 in 6.2s with 87 octane (it's not bad, but it's not that fast).

They called it a "250 hp" engine,so I'm assuming they tested with 93, since that's the rating for that octane. And having just received one myself, mine doesn't feel anywhere near 0-60 in 6.2s with 87 octane (it's not bad, but it's not that fast).

"seems" and "is" are very different creatures, respectively. Especially when it comes to speed and vehicles. Usually they publish a "test sheet" and it includes that information. Sad they didn't.

This is the CX9 test sheet. Note they used 87 octane, or "Regular", which in every vernacular in the US I've encountered, means 87.
https://hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/files/mazdacx-9awd2018-1529597109.pdf

Mazda has said that isnt happening regarding return of MazdaSpeed. The current leadership thinks it was immature.

That would have been interesting to me for sure and their statements about that not happening strongly influenced my decision to go with the GTI.

Honestly I kind of agree the MS3 is immature. I was much younger in its hey day and honestly wouldnt buy one today. In fact one of the things I didnt like about my ST was the immaturity and its what completely turned me off from the CTR. I do want something mature like the GTI or Mazda 3 with good performance.

Now anything is possible I suppose but its also worth pointing out they ditched the IRS on the next gen 3. Not sure if they designed it such that one could be added or if they used that space. Im guessing the latter and adding back for a performance variant will mean compromises.

Well don't forget; corksport already has an intake for the 2.5T, and autoexe has a bunch of suspension mods and some body kit. https://www.autoexe.co.jp/english/car/kf.html

Yeah, the corksport kit sounds fantastic on the Mazda 6 and CX-9. I think they are seeing 4-6 HP gains on the kit itself and there are some reports of 93 tunes giving an extra 25+ HP. I think fully modded, this engine could be pushing 280 HP and 330 lb. The more they sell of this, the more potential customers and more companies that will offer mods. This is could benefit everyone.

Last edited:
Performance-wise the CX5 turbo is now competitive with the luxury brands on HP with more torque down low (310 lb-ft @ 2000 RPM) and zero turbo lag. All for roughly $20K less than each of these. Also looks better inside and out than all but the Fpace in my opinion, but that is subjective.

Audi Q5 252 HP, 5.8
BMW X3 248 HP, 6.2
MB GLC300 241 HP, 5.9
Volvo XC60 250 HP, 6.4
Jaguar Fpace 247 HP, 6.2

Back