Headlight Questions

Alright. Thank you both for the input.

May just say screw it and grab the non-coated ones then. I want whiter light, but coating the bulb and messing with the brightness seems counter-intuitive. Sounds like for what I really want got to either try those VLEDs or a proper HID conversion kit (with the projectors) and I don't feel particularly "spendy" at the moment lol.

VisionPlus is what I would go with for OEM replacement.

OK, picked those up last night. Looking to switch out today. Was looking under the hood, and can see where to access the bulb on the passenger side, but on the driver's side I am having a harder time. Was trying to search for a how to to see if I had to remove some things to get access...but not having a lot of luck. :( Looks like an extremely tight fit.

EDIT: Ok, was looking at the wrong socket. Anyway, driver's side was a little tighter, but not impossible. Only took about 10 minutes to switch the bulbs out, including figuring out which ones were the correct light sockets.

Anyway, original factory halogens were also Philips. I took the car out for a test drive after with the new Vision Plus bulbs and light is much improved, very happy.

Last edited:
OK, picked those up last night. Looking to switch out today. Was looking under the hood, and can see where to access the bulb on the passenger side, but on the driver's side I am having a harder time. Was trying to search for a how to to see if I had to remove some things to get access...but not having a lot of luck. :( Looks like an extremely tight fit.

EDIT: Ok, was looking at the wrong socket. Anyway, driver's side was a little tighter, but not impossible. Only took about 10 minutes to switch the bulbs out, including figuring out which ones were the correct light sockets.

Anyway, original factory halogens were also Philips. I took the car out for a test drive after with the new Vision Plus bulbs and light is much improved, very happy.
Thanks for the info and the update. I have noticed ours also seem to be getting a little weaker at night and was getting ready to swap for fresh.

If I have a good used headlight capsule bulb, I like to put inside the packaging you just got, or even a zip lock baggy, and stuff it in the spare tire well for emergency.

Thanks for the info and the update. I have noticed ours also seem to be getting a little weaker at night and was getting ready to swap for fresh.

If I have a good used headlight capsule bulb, I like to put inside the packaging you just got, or even a zip lock baggy, and stuff it in the spare tire well for emergency.

That's funny because that is exactly what I did with my old bulbs lol! Figured didn't hurt to hold onto them since they technically still work.

Oh meant to also say, I used some blue nitrile gloves while installing just to make sure I didn't accidentally touch the bulbs.

I really liked these : https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

3.0" H1 Bi-Xenon Projector Lens w/ Square LED Halo Ring Shrouds For Headlights

Solves the problem of crappy yellow DRLs and upgrades to Bi Xenon headlights. But like most have pointed out - this will blind out other drivers unless you happen to drive on a 100% flat road which no one does. A slight bump in road means the other drivers are blinded which does not happen with Halogen. Checking the cutoff on a wall is non scientific way of testing. You made the right choice - You cant put the Halo on halogens possibly due to heat. The Bi Xenon setup on some expensive cars in EU are self adjusting - meaning they point downwards as the car crests up a small hill or a bump to ensure it doesn't blind oncoming drivers.
Maybe the possibility is really low but with such kits - on two lane country roads unless you have an autocorrecting setup costing $$$$s - you are going to blind oncoming drivers and that can be very risky.

I really liked these : https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

3.0" H1 Bi-Xenon Projector Lens w/ Square LED Halo Ring Shrouds For Headlights

Solves the problem of crappy yellow DRLs and upgrades to Bi Xenon headlights. But like most have pointed out - this will blind out other drivers unless you happen to drive on a 100% flat road which no one does. A slight bump in road means the other drivers are blinded which does not happen with Halogen. Checking the cutoff on a wall is non scientific way of testing. You made the right choice - You cant put the Halo on halogens possibly due to heat. The Bi Xenon setup on some expensive cars in EU are self adjusting - meaning they point downwards as the car crests up a small hill or a bump to ensure it doesn't blind oncoming drivers.
Maybe the possibility is really low but with such kits - on two lane country roads unless you have an autocorrecting setup costing $$$$s - you are going to blind oncoming drivers and that can be very risky.

Yeah the more I looked at converting, the more I saw issues like these and decided it wasn't worth it.

The factory fitted were probably Philips LL (long life) that means that they have put priority on long life more than light output. The new ones are both new and slightly higher power and slightly lower life like may be 300-400 hours of life. But the Philips are still the best.

Yea thats what I meant earlier on. For example the LED projectors on my GTI are auto leveling. Its not a cheap setup to do so that youre not that jerk.

I concur Phillips is excellent.

Pretty sure the gen 2 CX-5 LEDs auto level also. I dont see them move as much on their startup routine as the GTI ones do though. And there are some OE setups that blind people to but its getting better now that IIHS started rating that.

Back