2019 XC40 vs 2019 CX-5 Signature

The fact that Audi, BMW, and Volvo are frequently mentioned in this CX-5 forum by cross-shoppers proves that Mazda is succeeding in its developing a luxury-competitive reputation. No one is saying CX-5 is better quality than those brands - after all, that $10k+ price difference isnt entirely for the badge. But its a big development that the CX-5 is so good that it is convincing people to buy down from the established luxury brands.

2019-Volvo-XC40-interior-dashboard-front-seats-by-Ron-Sessions.jpg

When I saw that Volvo interior, the first thing that came to mind was the Ford Edsel from the late 50's.
That horseshoe collar front end, and now the Volvo air vents. They are both butt ugly.
I much prefer the interior from my 6, thankyou.

The fact that Audi, BMW, and Volvo are frequently mentioned in this CX-5 forum by cross-shoppers proves that Mazda is succeeding in its developing a luxury-competitive reputation. No one is saying CX-5 is better quality than those brands - after all, that $10k+ price difference isnt entirely for the badge. But its a big development that the CX-5 is so good that it is convincing people to buy down from the established luxury brands.

Yea I agree. That was what my comment about looking under the vehicle was about. Put an X3 or Q5 on a lift for example and look at the suspension. Difference is pretty clear. Kudos to Mazda for being able to dial it in well enough to compete above its class. I certainly was swayed by the value proposition since Im not into brand image so much. If someone is there is no swaying them.

The other thing to point out is your long term reliability is likely good with the Mazda. With the Volvo I wouldnt say its bad. But there is a lot of complex and new technology for them here so I think its more uncertain and you may have expensive repairs.

The other thing to point out is your long term reliability is likely good with the Mazda. With the Volvo I wouldnt say its bad. But there is a lot of complex and new technology for them here so I think its more uncertain and you may have expensive repairs.
Repairs are almost certainly going to be more expensive with a Volvo, on average. Just the way it is. And parts may be harder to come by with longer wait times. I mean the XC40 literally comes with white gloves.

I would say that to a certain extent, Honda, Toyota and Hyundai have followed Mazda's interior design philosophy, which honestly benefits everyone. The new accord looks very similar to the Mazda 6.

The big thing with the true "luxury" brands is the ability to customize. On the Volvo XC40, you can choose 8 colors and 5 wheel options and a couple of different interior options. Those options help to keep costs high because a dealer will have to find that car and you will pay more for the exact car you want.

I've been annoyed at Volvo since they killed Air Conditioner guy. I'd miss him on a new Volvo.
Seriously... Leave us some hard controls, car companies.
401033d2df3774964718c3ed92d82346.jpg

I've been annoyed at Volvo since they killed Air Conditioner guy. I'd miss him on a new Volvo.
Seriously... Leave us some hard controls, car companies.
401033d2df3774964718c3ed92d82346.jpg

Well, on this we agree. Although, good execution would be nice. I still am annoyed at the tight cables on my Mazda's controls. Or whatever makes the blower motor selector/blender door/whatever knob such a PITA.

The m3 is not about its interior. The cx5, is. It didn't used to be, but now it is. The E92, imo, was the last "real" m3.

Whatever, bud. (rolleyes)

CX-5 interior (the only quality pic of Signature 19" is some weirdo crazy overhead from angle press photo). But his gives a clear idea why CX-5 interior was called "simple":

2017-Mazda-CX-5-Grand-Touring-2-1024x683.jpg

XC40

2019-Volvo-XC40-interior-dashboard-front-seats-by-Ron-Sessions.jpg

I see what you mean about the CX-5 interior being "simple". It definitely doesn't pop out at you like the other interiors that have a bit more contrast. What I do see, though, is the stitch detail and the wood inlays on the dash and door panels in the CX-5. The vent design in the XC40 interior really sets it apart, but it looks odd to me. I like that the HVAC controls are a little more accessible, and that there is cubby space in front of the shifter. I also like that the touch screen is integrated into the dash like it belongs there (vs. the "stuck-on" display that looks like an afterthought on the CX-5).

Last edited:
Totally disagree. The Volvo screen is too big and absolutely looks out of place.

Totally disagree. The Volvo screen is too big and absolutely looks out of place.

I agree with the size, it's probably what makes it look out of place. What I meant was that I liked how the dash in the Volvo has an enclosure for the screen, vs. Mazda's display that looks like the screen was pushed up through the seam in the dash.

Until you get to that age when you might have to wear reading glasses. Then function can slightly outweigh form to the buyer that values being able to see the screen without having to fish around for the reading glasses. Of course various degrees of eye issues. I am at that spot where I can read my current CX-5 screen for station numbers, but on some things I have to put my glasses on. Can't see my phone screen at all when using Waze for navigation/warnings. I haven't been in the newer CX-5 or Mazda to see if I can see that little screen up on the dash. Reading glasses while driving sucks.

I can see everything on the 8" in-dash screen in my wife's Civic without the reading glasses.

My post is in humor, but with some sincerity as well.

Say what you want about Chrysler, but they/JEEP is predictive of the market with their infotainment.

2019-Jeep-Cherokee-Limited-Interior-Hero.jpg.image.1920.jpg

2005 Chrysler:
2005_wk_31.jpg

2015 mazda:
2015-Mazda-CX-5-Interior.jpg

Bigger NAV and more touch-screen is the way of the future, like it or not. Want to know what's coming for SUV interiors, just check out a JGC.

Last edited:
The volvo vents are ugly. I like the "simple", what I'd call elegant clean look of the Mazda. The screen is a bit of a tack on, but I believe that is for safety and useability. It's the only one that is nearly higher than the steering wheel and most of the dash of the ones posted in this thread.

So you can see the road while you are looking at the screen, or at least don't have to glance as far away.

How is Jeep predictive? There is plenty of prior art out there. Like huge tablet.... Tesla

Haha yea I saw that. Im not sure how I feel about it. Would need to see what its like a night.

Yuri seems to love him some giant CarPlay though to me it just looks like its set up for someone who needs their prescription updated.

The volvo vents are ugly. I like the "simple", what I'd call elegant clean look of the Mazda. The screen is a bit of a tack on, but I believe that is for safety and usability. It's the only one that is nearly higher than the steering wheel and most of the dash of the ones posted in this thread.

So you can see the road while you are looking at the screen, or at least don't have to glance as far away.

Its precisely for that. Lots of studies about keeping drivers eyes up. For what its worth, Audi and BMW also have high-mounted screens for the same reason. The Q7 one literally pops up from the dash. Mazdas needs to be bigger, but its the prudent placement IMO. Good thing Volvo has so many safety features, because their tablet is an accident waiting to happen.

Last edited:
The BMW looks like they tried to integrate it. The Audi looks just as tacked on though. I do appreciate the higher location for using NAV. Just hope more follow BMW an integrate it. Or at least less bezel so it doesnt look like a vtech childs tablet.

Back