2019 XC40 vs 2019 CX-5 Signature

So far, UConnect by Chrysler is my favorite infotainment system, because I'm a poor and can't afford Audi's S8's getup.
Of course. We are such polar opposites. I don't have a lot of experience with different newer interiors. Acura, Honda, Ford, Audi and Jeep. uConnect is my least favorite.

Of course. We are such polar opposites. I don't have a lot of experience with different newer interiors. Acura, Honda, Ford, Audi and Jeep. uConnect is my least favorite.

My main love of it is due to the excellent adaptive NAV. Not necessarily the interface, but the actual usefulness of the system.

Weren't we just talking about looks? Or are you deflecting again? You're missing your own point. First (speaking of the CX-5's Touring/GT interior) you said, "That's a ton of same-color, Looks very cheap, I'm sure it's quality feeling, etc.".

The first picture is not an M3 interior as you claim (it's missing the stitched steering wheel and M badge, and the cluster needles aren't red). It is the interior of an E92 coupe, and it has a ton of same-color, which by your own admission, looks very cheap.

Then you said "Simple is absolutely fine, but it must be executed with elegance, a'la E92 M3."

The M3 interior is basically the same as the coupe interior in terms of design (aka execution), it just has some color. Which apparently to you, equals elegance, because the interior is otherwise the same as the E92 coupe's (which according to your statement earlier, looks very cheap).

The m3 is not about its interior. The cx5, is. It didn't used to be, but now it is. The E92, imo, was the last "real" m3.

Also, regarding fixed screens high on the dash, at first I was also turned off by them. But after using it for the past year, I've come to appreciate the fact that it's close to my FOV, and that I can still see the road while glancing at the screen. Having to look down at a screen is more dangerous as you have to take your eyes off the road completely. It would be nice if the screen could be retracted, but its one more thing to service and maintain, so I've made peace with it.

I like how Audi does it.
Map on the instrument panel.

Perhaps it is the anti Apple person in me as an IT guy who loves to build his own computers, that hates the idea of a tablet vs a head unit that can be replaced/upgraded...whether I do so or not.

I think fundamentally that is why I don't like it.

Perhaps it is the anti Apple person in me as an IT guy who loves to build his own computers, that hates the idea of a tablet vs a head unit that can be replaced/upgraded...whether I do so or not.

I hate Apple, too.

That's my issue with it too: impossible to replace.

I agree, technically, but i know that personally I'll never replace it anyways.
I probably wouldn't either but my buddy is a high end car audio enthusiast always trying to get me to upgrade. I'd like to have the option if I ever do decide to let him go nuts.

It is funny how Mazda got dinged for having too simple of a cabin. I also hate those iPad like computer devices but that might be my age. I personally like the look of the XC40, but 10K is a lot of money!

Mazda pioneered this interior look within budget sedans with their 6. Then everyone in the segment started doing it (Accord, Altima, maybe others, don't remember). So while Mazda's execution of this simplistic "nothing to look at" theme is by fat the best with the best materials, it still falls within the segment and doesn't really get into a true luxury interior design like what Volvo has. So while Mazda is a leader in interior design, it's only a leader within its segment (Tuscon, RAV4, CRV etc). XC40 belongs to another league, and it's precisely the case of you get what you pay for. Volvo's interior is 10k nicer, but the exterior design also looks more expensive. CX5 is the cheapest CUV you can have that actually has a nice interior. But every $5k more gives you substantially more style and true luxury.

I get what you are saying, but I would not pay $10K more for this interior on the XC40 compared to the CX5. I would want to pay less. But this XC40 is actually only about $8K more expensive than a CX5 Sig. It is also so much smaller, that most wouldn't cross-shop the 2, but it is just as fast as the Sig.

2019-Volvo-XC40-T5-interior-drivers-side.jpg

2016-Mazda-CX-9-dashboard_lg.jpg

2019-Volvo-XC40-118-1.jpg

2018-Mazda-CX-9-B-Image1_o.jpg

Mazda pioneered this interior look within budget sedans with their 6. Then everyone in the segment started doing it (Accord, Altima, maybe others, don't remember). So while Mazda's execution of this simplistic "nothing to look at" theme is by fat the best with the best materials, it still falls within the segment and doesn't really get into a true luxury interior design like what Volvo has. So while Mazda is a leader in interior design, it's only a leader within its segment (Tuscon, RAV4, CRV etc). XC40 belongs to another league, and it's precisely the case of you get what you pay for. Volvo's interior is 10k nicer, but the exterior design also looks more expensive. CX5 is the cheapest CUV you can have that actually has a nice interior. But every $5k more gives you substantially more style and true luxury.

Id have a hard time paying for the volvo over the cx5 honestly. The only argument I have for it is Harman Kardon. Loved the one in my jeep. Mazda is trash in comparison if my 2015 touring is an example.

I get what you are saying, but I would not pay $10K more for this interior on the XC40 compared to the CX5. I would want to pay less. But this XC40 is actually only about $8K more expensive than a CX5 Sig. It is also so much smaller, that most wouldn't cross-shop the 2, but it is just as fast as the Sig.

2019-Volvo-XC40-118-1.jpg

2018-Mazda-CX-9-B-Image1_o.jpg

Just to be clear....the $10K difference is not just the "interior". There are some features/material in the Volvo that are really nice that some consumers might want.

It's subjective, up to individual taste, but I disagree. I test drove the XC40 and ended up buying the CX-5 GTR. To me the CX-5 interior is just as nice as the Volvo in most respects. Volvo's "molten" orange interior looks absurdly childish and won't age well. I like the large, clear screen better in the Volvo, but it's a PITA to use and assigns too many functions to menus instead of knobs/buttons. I've got a few nitpicks with the Mazda, for example not putting a charging USB port you can connect for CarPlay in the front bin, the most obvious place to put your phone. And drink holders that are a little awkward to reach. But Mazda interior is very refined IMO, looks amazing.

I also think the CX-5 in GTR/Signature trims looks just as nice as the Volvo on the outside, although I do really dig the Volvo's "Thor's hammer" headlights and I like the 2-tone paint option with the light blue color. But damn the CX-5 in Soul Red looks sweet in higher trims.

Not nearly worth $10 (or even $5K) more to me, although I do like the XC40 a lot.

The other stuff that would make the premium brand worth it over a Mazda is the stuff you have to put it on a lift to see.

Put an X3 or a Q5 on a lift and look at the suspension. Also look at weight distribution. You can see where the money is going beyond interior.

I need to see is anyone has done this with the Xc40. Savagesse does it but Im not sure if he looked at the Xc40 specifically.

I do think Mazda is top of their actual segment but not top in the actual luxury segment. I feel like they are competitive though.

I'm getting that on my now built Tiguan, apparently the new display is the same in VW and Audi now. Its one reason for me buying one.

Nice. The Tiguan would probably be the contender if we did it over today. Its the only other one in the class that feels refined to me.

For the record you posted the press photos of the interior of CX-9 which is while even nicer than CX-5 still may not be nicer than XC40 that you used some potato cam photos of. When it comes to interiors its perception is highly dependent on personal taste.

Yes if I had to spend 40k+ I'd go with Volvo over CX5 all day every day, but then again there's a bunch of other CUV's I'd pick over XC40 for the price (I'm actually not a fan of XC40 even though I appreciate the design effort). The only reason I'd go with CX5 if I absolutely can't spend more than CX5 costs. I'll take CX5 over any of its direct competitors in the segment hands down though. But I don't really buy that idea that media is trying to push that CX5 is like in Mercedes league of luxury or something. It's the nicest CUV in its segment, by far. But that's it. The next tier CUVs (+$10,000) are way nicer.

CX-5 interior (the only quality pic of Signature 19" is some weirdo crazy overhead from angle press photo). But his gives a clear idea why CX-5 interior was called "simple":

2017-Mazda-CX-5-Grand-Touring-2-1024x683.jpg

Accord:

192018hondaaccordtouring.jpg

Altima:

2019-nissan-altima-photo-13.jpg

They all have the same basic layout/theme. All are very nice interiors, but these days luxury brands are trying way harder and have to be way more creative to separate them from budget interiors:

XC40

213042_New_Volvo_XC40_interior.jpg

I wouldn't buy that orange interior but I appreciate the ambiance it creates. I'd go with beige probably.

2019-Volvo-XC40-interior-dashboard-front-seats-by-Ron-Sessions.jpg

While the Volvo is arguably nicer I think the driving dynamics arent as good as the CX-5. Thats what would sway me personally. Now if this comparison was to an X3 I would probably go BMW.

I really like good steering.

Back