2019 XC40 vs 2019 CX-5 Signature

Its odd that the guy says the Mazdas engine sound is unpleasant (he said the same about the Volvo), I dont find that to be the case at all, and Ive never seen another reviewer say it either, although most say it can get a little loud under steep acceleration, which is true.

Last edited:
I was just about to post the same link, just watching it.

It is funny how Mazda got dinged for having too simple of a cabin. I also hate those iPad like computer devices but that might be my age. I personally like the look of the XC40, but 10K is a lot of money!

I dont think the engine sounds particularly good. I also dont think it sounds bad necessarily. Its a 4 cylinder and those just dont sound great and I think usually when people try to make them sound good with loud aftermarket exhaust it just ends up sounding worse. Maybe that reviewer just likes artificial engine sound which is lame.

It is funny how Mazda got dinged for having too simple of a cabin. I also hate those iPad like computer devices but that might be my age. I personally like the look of the XC40, but 10K is a lot of money!
Same and I'm a giant technology nerd. This is what they think we want.

On a positive note....the handling/steering part went particularly well for the CX-5. That's just a lot of $$$ for that XC40.

I'm 27, work in IT, and I think the tablet on the dash look is stupid. :p

Guess I'm old school as well, but I like knobs, switches, and tactile buttons; touch screen not so much.

I really like the idea of the true touchpad of the Acura RDX. I like the screen higher up so it's within your sight line vs others where you have to look down to the right to see your infotainment screen. And I like it that I don't have to move/or reach for the controls. Just my .02

I'm a techno nerd but when it comes to cars i don't want all of the stuff that detracts/distracts from the pure driving experience.

Although Mazda information system is somewhere lacking compared to others i think they did an excellent job incorporating it into the driving experience by blending the knob controls with the screen. My opinion is Mazda didn't offer less of an infotainment system by accident...I feel their design was done on purpose. But my fear is they will fall to the pressure of making bigger screen that do more and detract from the driving experience.

I'd be more receptive to using a touch screen if A) the screen(s) were closer to the steering wheel, ideally with the functions/buttons in my immediate FOV, and B) if they provided haptic feedback.

attachment.php

2018mas040002_640_11.jpg

Pardon the crude paintjob.. I would hope that actual implementation would look and perform a million times better (vertical adjustment, power tilt/telescopic adjustment, integrate back up cams or cross-traffic cams into the screens, etc.). Could come pre-programmed with a default setup that includes radio/audio and HVAC controls, plus cruise control. But it could also be configured by the driver to display other information as well, like engine and oil temps, boost pressure (if applicable), etc.

Maybe I'm just crazy lol

Last edited:
I feel like basic functions need physical controls and not solely living in the touch screen. I think Mazda does a pretty good job here but not quite as good as BMW or Audi. I have not spent much time in a Volvo to judge it.

I really like the idea of the true touchpad of the Acura RDX. I like the screen higher up so it's within your sight line vs others where you have to look down to the right to see your infotainment screen. And I like it that I don't have to move/or reach for the controls. Just my .02

The RDX and XC40 were both on my short list but I ended up choosing a CX5 Signature.

Regarding infotainment, on the RDX I like how the true touchpad works with the built-in apps but the implementation is poor when using with a phone. In CarPlay, it works like a laptop touchpad so you have to keep swiping to position the cursor. I personally liked the look of the large tablet in the XC40 but it was difficult (and probably unsafe) to navigate while driving. Functions are buried in apps and on different screens. On the CX5, I was initially disappointed to see a rotary/joystick controller but it works really well while driving and functions consistently in CarPlay. I've taken to it after one day of use and only rarely miss using the touchscreen while moving. Now if we could only get CarPlay nav on the heads-up display.

Last edited:
Right. My gf has Lexus NX and I hate the busy overlapped dashboard.

Agreed I dont think touchpads are a good idea in cars......

The knob does work fairly well once you get the hang of it. I wish they had a few more physical buttons for favorites for example. But at least they have the ones you would use a lot like Nav and Music.

Back