2019: CX5 Signature vs CS-9 GT

Nuieve

:
328i
CX5 Signature are not deeply discounted and average about $37-38k.

CX9 GT is discounted better and seems like can be easily had for $39-40k.

It's essentially negligible price difference and thus these two crossovers directly compete with each other price-wise.

To those who bought CX5 Sig or considering it - why not CX-9? CX-9 is more luxurious, more spacious, and subjectively looks better/has more value.

So why CX5?

Valid question and we did consider it. For us, 5 is more fun, sporty, better looking to our eyes and we didn*t need the space of the 9. But really, wife said she didn*t want a huge suv

So we were in that position and ended up with the 2018 CX-9. I would agree that the CX-9 is much nicer and substantial vehicle. In my personal ranking of all Mazda cars I think it is the second best looking (behind the CX3).

With that said, it is a substantial car. It is much bigger than the CX-5 and you can feel it. It also is much more of a gas guzzler - averaging about 22-23 around town. And the CX-5 has some things that the CX-9 does not have. For example, the CX-5 has memory seats that match the key fob. My CX-9 does not have that. I think the sound system is better in the CX-5 than the CX-9 as well.

When it comes to value, I have to go with the CX-5. Plus I dont care for the bigger SUVs. Also why I went with the BMW X3 over the X5. Yes they are more substantial but I prefer a medium CUV.

*different strokes/different folks

If Mazda offered their CX-11 in USA, it would be a much better value at 52,000 dollars. V10 and all.

I want the cx-13 cause it's larger and make me look more macho (to compensate for my lack of ..... like the truck guys).

If Mazda offered their CX-11 in USA, it would be a much better value at 52,000 dollars. V10 and all.

We were looking for a new AWD for my wife. The CX5 NA was out of the question due to lack of power(test drove at the end of 2028). So this Fall we started looking at the greatly discounted 2018 CX9 because it came with the turbo. Wife said it was way too big for her taste and we dont need the extra space or seats. When my dealer got the Signature CX5 turbo the end.of Nov we immediately looked at it. Dealer let my wife take it for a 4 hour test drive... shopping, traffic, higway, etc. After she return she loved everthing(fit, finish, feel, amenities and power) about it and purchased it the same day.

Unless you need the space or the feel of a larger SUV the Signature CX5 is the better option being it has all the power, wrights about 550 lbs less and handles better. The interior of the Signature CX5 is top notch and not lacking anything compared to the CX9.

We were looking for a new AWD for my wife. The CX5 NA was out of the question due to lack of power(test drove at the end of 2028). So this Fall we started looking at the greatly discounted 2018 CX9 because it came with the turbo. Wife said it was way too big for her taste and we dont need the extra space or seats. When my dealer got the Signature CX5 turbo the end.of Nov we immediately looked at it. Dealer let my wife take it for a 4 hour test drive... shopping, traffic, higway, etc. After she return she loved everthing(fit, finish, feel, amenities and power) about it and purchased it the same day.

Unless you need the space or the feel of a larger SUV the Signature CX5 is the better option being it has all the power, wrights about 550 lbs less and handles better. The interior of the Signature CX5 is top notch and not lacking anything compared to the CX9.

I test drove a 2019 CX-5 GTR last week and then a 2018 CX-9 Signature right after to compare.
I was surprised at how much I liked the CX-9 - handled much better and seemed more refined than the 2016 Edge Sport I test drove last week - turbo delivery was more smooth as well.
I did feel the extra size and weight though and thought the GTR was more fun to drive.
If I needed the extra seating (3rd row) I would have opted for that. Plus HAVING TO add on an extra 4K for the CX-9 made my choice easier.

Instead I bought a 2019 silver CX-5 Sig - picking it up tomorrow :)

I test drove a 2019 CX-5 GTR last week and then a 2018 CX-9 Signature right after to compare.
I was surprised at how much I liked the CX-9 - handled much better and seemed more refined than the 2016 Edge Sport I test drove last week - turbo delivery was more smooth as well.
I did feel the extra size and weight though and thought the GTR was more fun to drive.
If I needed the extra seating (3rd row) I would have opted for that. Plus HAVING TO add on an extra 4K for the CX-9 made my choice easier.

Congrats! Excellent choice.

Congratulations!

It's just going to depend on your needs and what you prioritize. The CX-5 weighs less and is not as long as the CX-9, but the CX-5 Sig has the same engine, making it faster and more agile with better fuel mileage. Plus the '19s get GVC+ and a bunch of other minor things. If the GT Reserve and Signature CX-5 had been released when I bought my CX-9, I would have fought tooth and nail to convince my wife to go with the CX-5 for the fun factor alone. In the end, we went with the CX-9 mainly for the 3rd row and the exterior design. Basically, if you don't need the 3rd row, get the 5.

I will say that having a 3rd row has been more of a benefit than I expected. We use it quite often.

I think 3rd row has little to do with CX-9 appeal. Just fold it and have a 2x larger cargo area. I personally see it as a 5-seat SUV just like CX5, I don't even think of it as a 3-rower. I'd fold down that 3rd row on day #1 and never put it up again.

Back