iPhone GPS inaccurate using CarPlay

:
CX-9
Installed the CarPlay kit the other day and gave it its first real test yesterday. During my 1:15 drive, the gps location kept drifting off the road and eventually hanging up. This happened across Google maps, Apple maps, and Waze.

Searching the Apple support pages has some people pointing fingers at Apple and some pointing fingers at the vehicle, saying in CarPlay mode the vehicle is telling the phone the gps location. .

Anyone have this issue?

I have an iPhoneX and mine does this on occasion, but only in areas where the cell signal is weak. If the signal is strong, then the GPS is very accurate. I went to the mountains the other day, and this happened a lot.

Does this ever happen when you use iPhone navigation w/o connecting to CarPlay ? Where do you put your phone (gps signal)? Do you have tint in your

Which version iPhone .

iPhone 6 for example has a design flaw that GPS and WiFi antenna can get knock loose when dropped hard. I had inaccurate gps reading until I fixed it.

Installed the CarPlay kit the other day and gave it its first real test yesterday. During my 1:15 drive, the gps location kept drifting off the road and eventually hanging up. This happened across Google maps, Apple maps, and Waze.

Searching the Apple support pages has some people pointing fingers at Apple and some pointing fingers at the vehicle, saying in CarPlay mode the vehicle is telling the phone the gps location. .

Anyone have this issue?

The only time I've had even a whiff of an issue is when I was coming off of wifi when driving away from my house; the switch over from wifi to LTE can throw Waze off a bit, but it fixes itself once I quit the app and restart it.

This is on an iPhone X running the latest iOS.

Never had any gps issue before using CarPlay. iPhone is in the same spot as its always been, in a vent mount; no aftermarket window tinting.

Based on what Ive read over at Apple, it sounds like when an iPhone is connected to CarPlay the vehicle itself provides the gps location to the phone.

Interestingly I switched to a different Lightning cable and havent seen the issue since. Only have one drive over an hour under my belt with the new cable, so Im not ready to say its a complete fix yet.

I think navigation can get squirrely in general. For me, it matters not about the platform.

For instance: There are times it sends me in circles. I don't figure that out until I'm "a circle and a half" in.

Once Gloria said (we name our nav voices) "your destination is on the left" I stopped and looked to the left at a huge empty field, lol. Come to find out, I was a mile and a half from the target point and on a completely different road!

Sometimes it waits too late to make critical turns. Nothing like driving straight thru a major intersection near a mall off the interstate only to hear, "Turn right onto Shi*hole Road" just after passing that road with no easy way to turn around. Good times!

I was just visiting Tampa FL and it sent me through a dangerous city area only to have the gps stop working entirely; the map lines just evaporated!

For me, these oddities hold true for all nav apps. Also, this has occured in rural areas with plenty of cell tower service and in populated urban areas.

Last edited:
This just happened to me today, except this time I was in the middle of L.A. I was merging from the 60 to the 710, using Waze, and the dot just drifted off into the sunset. I hit the voice command button and input the address again, knowing it would switch to apple maps. My thought was that the issue was with Waze. Apple maps loaded, found the address, started from my location then just drifted off into the sunset again. ???WTF OK, so I decided to switch to the native car navigation, but of course, since I was in motion, I could not enter an address. So I had to pull off the highway and enter the address,then followed it to my destination.

One big thing I noticed during this was that when I opened my phone to see if it was having issues (same time Waze and Apple Maps went nuts), I saw in small red text "no GPS signal" in the upper corner of the phone. I've never seen this displayed before, even when I had no cell signal it never displayed this text. One other observation was that I had numerous apps open on my phone at the time. I'm wondering if it was too much and the phone couldn't keep up with all the data usage? I think from now on, I'm going to turn off all my apps and then load Carplay and see if that makes a difference.

Back