Cv joint - axles - driveshaft leak - please help

:
2012 Mazda5 Touring
D90B0E3E-1DE9-4D3B-ADBB-FB77D3C36C53.jpeg

Doing oil change and tire rotation today
Looks like both CV that*s next to transmission - NOT the ones next to the wheel are leaking and flicking lot of grease

What*s your opinion?

Change boots?

Change full driveshaft ?

Oem or aftermarket ?

Appreciate the thoughts. 2012 mazda5, AT, 109k miles

https://www.tascaparts.com/auto-par...nt-drive-axle-cat/axle-shafts-and-joints-scat

Last edited:
bad.
If it is fresh and no damage to the internals, I'd just do the boot.
OEM shaft is crazy expensive and aftermarket is hit and miss.
I'd buy the boot, take the unit apart and if not filled with dirt inside, swap the boot and call it a day.
If money if no object, just get full OEM replacement.

bad.
If it is fresh and no damage to the internals, I'd just do the boot.
OEM shaft is crazy expensive and aftermarket is hit and miss.
I'd buy the boot, take the unit apart and if not filled with dirt inside, swap the boot and call it a day.
If money if no object, just get full OEM replacement.

Thank you sir

Car is parked
I will tackle it in a week after the new year

I wonder why it happened at only 100k miles. Then I realized I stopped questioning why my crappy mazda5 needs replacement of parts at 100k, that my Honda*s/Toyota*s don*t replace till 200k

Thank you sir
I wonder why it happened at only 100k miles. Then I realized I stopped questioning why my crappy mazda5 needs replacement of parts at 100k, that my Honda*s/Toyota*s don*t replace till 200k

One would think LA climate would be gentle on cars.
Mine is the same year, around 87k miles and so far zero repairs.
Cut boot can be anything from road derby or rodents to bad parts, seems a little off given the location.
Hope you get it repaired reasonably easy and get it back on the road.

Will keep you posted

It*s in both sides

Last 22 years, never had to fix a boot of any of the cars. We usually have 7-9 cars at a time. This is the first time in 22 years

my 5 had 42,000 miles when I bought it, the inspector said the boot was cracked, the grease was all over the place. He said I shouldn't worry too much about it unless there is noise or wobble. Mazda is like this, even my dad's 92 Protege changed the boots quite a few time (with only 35,000 miles on it)

My fix:
- Chinese ebay (Taobao) has it for US$3.5 shipped to Hong Kong
- Mechanic charged me US$100 for the labour.

The labor for both axles is $270. For the parts,

I have two choice: the aftermarket is $115 each good brand new

Oem i just called the dealer but they need vin number which I didn*t have on vacation, because the price is vary between $160 to $560 for the left and $320 to $420 for the right.

View attachment 220057
Doing oil change and tire rotation today
Looks like both CV that*s next to transmission - NOT the ones next to the wheel are leaking and flicking lot of grease
Appreciate the thoughts. 2012 mazda5, AT, 109k miles
https://www.tascaparts.com/auto-par...nt-drive-axle-cat/axle-shafts-and-joints-scat

Funny funny, was it driver or passenger side?
I was doing oil change this weekend as well at 140k km (87k miles) and found the same, looks like grease started to come out around that shaft on the driver side axel.
I could not find a crack in the boot, so wonder if the clamp gave out.... I wonder if you had a chance to examine that old shaft and see what was the failure point, the boot or the clamp.

Back