Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Car and Driver doesnít seem to think the RAV4 beats the CX-5

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post
    I think Chris_Top_Her mentioned that you can disable TCS/DSC by pulling a fuse, but that was on his '15 I believe. Not sure if it works on the '17+, and I'm not sure if there's a way to turn off GVC or GVC+.
    I donít count pulling fuses but maybe. That also might have some unintended consequences like no ABS either. I think you want ABS working.

Donated: $25

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by jthj View Post
    I don*t count pulling fuses but maybe. That also might have some unintended consequences like no ABS either. I think you want ABS working.
    I'm not advocating it. SignatureCX5 just asked if its possible to disable the nannies, I put forth what Chris did, that's all. And if SignatureCX5 really dislikes nannies, technically ABS is a nanny as well.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

I also wonder what the AWD does when itís missing that info. Iím guessing this car probably doesnít handle that well with all those systems disabled.

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by SignatureCX5 View Post
    I drive performance cars at the limits. I race cars with no active handling or stability systems and this is my preference. I don't really care for any nannies that dial in 'reactions' when I'm have the foresight to know what is coming next.

Is there anyway to completely turn off the nanny controls if I wanted to on the CX-5? As an example in my Z06 I just have to hold the TCS/AH button for 6 seconds and its all off and stays off until the car is shut down and restarted. My Duramax only allows everything to be off up to 30 mph and stability control automaticly turns on again at 31 mph.
    Interesting. You have a Z06, so I presume you may have PTM, etc? Randy Pobst could BARELY out-drive the PTM, so unless you're truly a world-class driver (in which case, who are you?), then you have shitty nannies if you're truly out-driving them.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Interesting. You have a Z06, so I presume you may have PTM, etc? Randy Pobst could BARELY out-drive the PTM, so unless you're truly a world-class driver (in which case, who are you?), then you have shitty nannies if you're truly out-driving them.
    I donít think at this point itís about out driving them. Itís about wanting to actually be the one driving. Similar to why people still want to row their own even if an auto can shift significantly faster. This is all very subjective of course and not something you can over simply into binary options. Itís a lot of grey and what feels right to people.

Personally I donít have a problem with these systems when theyíre well executed and seamless. But Iím not really a purist and I went from rowing my own to a dual clutch because traffic.

In the end Iím not surprised at all with the Rav4. Itís exactly what I expected when people were all declaring it a winner based on specs on paper. After all itís still a Toyota......

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 GT

Actually, Car and Driver does not think the Rav4 is in the same league as the CX-5...
    2014 Silver Mazda CX-5 GT
    2017 Eternal Blue Mazda 3 Touring
    2018 Machine Grey Mazda CX-9 Signature

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by dougal View Post
    Actually, Car and Driver does not think the Rav4 is in the same league as the CX-5...
    Neither do I.

2019 Signature CX-5 Black Mica

The C6Z06 (which is the generation I own) the nannies are intrusive. The C7Z06 is much less intrusive.

Example for the C6Z06. Try trail braking to point the car and the nannies try to corrected the trail brake you dialed in...not fun. I'm not Randy but not too shabby after 20 years of competitive racing and instructing. Plus I rather be the driver and rely on my own knowledge and instinct than having some blind computer that can't see the edges of a track.

This is my prefernece for my own driving. When I used to do right seat coaching i never let any students turn off the nannies when I was I the car. So it's not that I dont beleive they don't work but they are not the fastest way around a track. Nor do I use them on the street as there are times I want to have fun.

Mazdas long been a favorite at C&D. In 16 it was rated #2, the CX 9 was #1 and the CX 3 was #2. It was one of the things that got me looking at Mazda.

Registered Member

2018 CX-9 SIGNATURE

Quote Originally Posted by joeca View Post
    They are right. I drove both last week (Mazda Signtature and 2019 Rav4 limited), back to back. The CX5 looks better, drives nicer, is quieter, more responsive and faster. There is no doubt less room in the CX5. The back seat room in the Rave 4 is impressive. I didn't hate the Rav4, but that motor is a dog and the car is much noisier than the CX5. The Rav 4 interior is plastic on top of more plastic

I'm going to buy a CX5 Turbo this year
    I completely agree. I owned a redesigned 2013 Rav4 Limited and after an accident, ended up buying a CX-9. I was a lifetime Toyota driver. Now I realize the Rav4 was a "dependable POS."

The Toyota started up every morning and got me point A to point B with no issues. However, the cheap plastic, rattling interior, appaling infotainment system, harsh suspension, hard seats and lackluster engine performance were negatives. The Limited line didn't even have real leather seats.

Of course, the blame is on me for buying the Rav4 to begin with. Honestly, I had a truly blind, ignorant allegiance to a car company that used to make higher quality cars. At that time, Mazda was never on my radar. It wasn't until after the wreck that I started deeply exploring other car brands. I'm so glad I did! 👍🏻

Registered Member Danny Linguini's Avatar

2017 CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Fruitwolf View Post
    I completely agree. I owned a redesigned 2013 Rav4 Limited and after an accident, ended up buying a CX-9. I was a lifetime Toyota driver. Now I realize the Rav4 was a "dependable POS."

The Toyota started up every morning and got me point A to point B with no issues. However, the cheap plastic, rattling interior, appaling infotainment system, harsh suspension, hard seats and lackluster engine performance were negatives. The Limited line didn't even have real leather seats.

Of course, the blame is on me for buying the Rav4 to begin with. Honestly, I had a truly blind, ignorant allegiance to a car company that used to make higher quality cars. At that time, Mazda was never on my radar. It wasn't until after the wreck that I started deeply exploring other car brands. I'm so glad I did! ����
    Nothing wrong with brand loyalty. It's not like you go out and buy a new car every day (not most of us, anyway) -- it's a big purchase, and usually your most reliable information is your own experience. If you've had good experience with a brand and you've been happy with your purchases, deep research and curiosity are the only things that would drive you away. Even with a good test drive, you just don't know everything about how a vehicle will perform for you day to day until you've used it day to day.

I'm on my second Mazda now, and there's a very good chance there will be a third in a few years, because these two have been great. Before that I had three MINI's, which might have been more had the 2013 Paceman not been one of the worst vehicles I'd ever owned. But that's the way it goes -- one bad apple just soured me on the whole brand.

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

The C6Z06 (which is the generation I own) the nannies are intrusive. The C7Z06 is much less intrusive.

Example for the C6Z06. Try trail braking to point the car and the nannies try to corrected the trail brake you dialed in...not fun. I'm not Randy but not too shabby after 20 years of competitive racing and instructing. Plus I rather be the driver and rely on my own knowledge and instinct than having some blind computer that can't see the edges of a track.

This is my prefernece for my own driving. When I used to do right seat coaching i never let any students turn off the nannies when I was I the car. So it's not that I dont beleive they don't work but they are not the fastest way around a track. Nor do I use them on the street as there are times I want to have fun.
    C6 had amazing PTM if you got the right packaging for it, otherwise, yeah, with the base model system, not so hot. It was the C6 model that Pobst barely edged out the PTM in, as in, fractionally, with his ability, but if you don't have PTM, I can see it not being the best given your experience level. I kick myself every time for not sacking up and getting the Z07 package. Then, I sold the car a year after I bought it, so "meh", but I didn't track it either, it was just a fun weekend cruiser. The MRC suspension is amazing t hough.
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 12-29-2018 at 11:14 AM.

2019 Signature CX-5 Black Mica

C6 had amazing PTM if you got the right packaging for it, otherwise, yeah, with the base model system, not so hot. It was the C6 model that Pobst barely edged out the PTM in, as in, fractionally, with his ability, but if you don't have PTM, I can see it not being the best given your experience level. I kick myself every time for not sacking up and getting the Z07 package. Then, I sold the car a year after I bought it, so "meh", but I didn't track it either, it was just a fun weekend cruiser. The MRC suspension is amazing t hough.
    C6 PTM was better than the C5 but they really didnt get it right until the C7. The processing power on the C7 is so much faster. Driving them back to back on track and you can really feel the difference between the 2. Love magnetic ride but was not available for my 2006 Z06, nor was the Z07 package. The Z06 is the best performance car around. Drive the snot out of it and doesn't cost you an arm and a leg. Also fun to spank Porsches on track

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

C6 PTM was better than the C5 but they really didnt get it right until the C7. The processing power on the C7 is so much faster. Driving them back to back on track and you can really feel the difference between the 2. Love magnetic ride but was not available for my 2006 Z06, nor was the Z07 package. The Z06 is the best performance car around. Drive the snot out of it and doesn't cost you an arm and a leg. Also fun to spank Porsches on track
    Agreed. I simply didn't track mine, and so it became a very expensive Cobalt 95% of the time. My 370Z also pulled WAY more attention/looks, which really confused and frustrated me, lol! (Bought a b rand new 2011 C6Z, and a 2012 370Z, it's not like I got the 370 on its US launch date or anything).

i-ACTIV AWD Aficionado Kedis82ZE8's Avatar
    Donated: $25

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    Agreed. I simply didn't track mine, and so it became a very expensive Cobalt 95% of the time. My 370Z also pulled WAY more attention/looks, which really confused and frustrated me, lol! (Bought a b rand new 2011 C6Z, and a 2012 370Z, it's not like I got the 370 on its US launch date or anything).
    "Not my feeling" but I often hear a lot of non-car people say the Vette is a mid life crisis car so for some younger people that may be the turn off.
    '15 CX-5 GT 2.5L w/tech package - 50K Miles - https://www.oemvehicleparts.com/ (30% off "shipping" with code "MAZDAS247")

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast