2015 Apple Carplay? Aftermarket Stereo?

:
2015 CX-5 Grand Touring
We have a 2015 CX-5. I have been researching if there is an aftermarket stereo we can replace which will still work the door locks and other features of the car? Car Toys is telling me I will lose everything under the Vehicle tab if I use an aftermarket stereo? Is there some programmer who has figured this out?

We have a 2015 CX-5. I have been researching if there is an aftermarket stereo we can replace which will still work the door locks and other features of the car? Car Toys is telling me I will lose everything under the Vehicle tab if I use an aftermarket stereo? Is there some programmer who has figured this out?

Thats how I understand it. I dont think aftermarket stereos work well in modern cars.

But if it is Android or ACP, it would appear that someone could create a code snippet for the vehicle interface which would allow those menus to work? And then just patch in the appropriate connector. I would probably pay up to $1000 for the stereo and installation/programming/wiring because otherwise, I have to come up with $2100 and add another $100 to my monthly payment to get a 2018/2019.

Last edited:
Mazda has a retro fit kit now. MSRP is $199.99. Should be 2 hours labor. Most people seem to be getting quotes in the $400-$500 range installed. Id suggest giving your local dealer a call.

2016 CX-5 was the first one with the MazdaConnect system; the older ones had the TomTom-based system and are not candidates for the Mazda CarPlay upgrade, hence the OP's question.

2014 Mazda3 had the command wheel/Mazda Connect system. CX-5 did not get it until 2016 model year (ref: Google image search of "2014 Mazda CX-5 interior")

Ah ok. Well I dont think there is a way to do it with a 15 then unless you want to give up all that functionality. And I wouldnt be surprised if it throws a fit if the head unit is removed.

You might want to contact Carista and see if they have made any further progress on Mazda customization options. They have a lot for other automakers. One can even program new TPMS sensors on Toyotas.

https://caristaapp.com/

I think the Forscan OBD app can make customizations on Ford and Mazda but have never used it for that purpose.

Currently Carista can do customizations on Audi, BMW, Lexus, Mini, Scion, Toyota and VW

Back