Blown head gasket for CX-5 Diesel

There is an active recall on all earlier Mazda CX5 diesels in Australia.

Just go to the Mazda Au website and find the recalls page, and put your VIN number in and it will tell you if yours is covered. Or, contact your local Mazda dealer and they will help you.

I had the recall done on my Nov 2015 Akera a week ago, on my car it was simply a replacement of a fuel return hose, check and clean the intake shutter valve, and apply software updates.

The mechanic said that the work required is specific to ViN numbers and varies between vehicles. Some call for more extensive work than others.

Mazda will be writing to all affected owners shortly to advise of this recall if the vehicle is not taken to a dealer for servicing beforehand.

Last edited:
Hi Digby,

What was the outcome for your blown gasket? I am from NZ and going through the same issue as you. Blown head gasket has caused the engine to overheat, and they tell me I need to replace the whole engine (long block) at my cost.

Hi I am another victim to the head gasket issue. There is a facebook page in taiwan https://www.facebook.com/groups/cx5sos/ its all in Taiwanese but you can tzanlaste it on the page. Basically they protested about being sold Lemons . I am currently taking it up with a German Mazda dealer who sold me a car 18 months ago. They would of known of the problem when they sold it too me. So far normal response from them " tough get on with it " I won't be taking that as an acceptable response. I am going after their arses. Does anyone know of any legal action against Mazda ? UK or EU based?

There is an active recall on all earlier Mazda CX5 diesels in Australia.

Just go to the Mazda Au website and find the recalls page, and put your VIN number in and it will tell you if yours is covered. Or, contact your local Mazda dealer and they will help you.

I had the recall done on my Nov 2015 Akera a week ago, on my car it was simply a replacement of a fuel return hose, check and clean the intake shutter valve, and apply software updates.

The mechanic said that the work required is specific to ViN numbers and varies between vehicles. Some call for more extensive work than others.

Mazda will be writing to all affected owners shortly to advise of this recall if the vehicle is not taken to a dealer for servicing beforehand.

I received this update together with the intake shutter valve service for my 2016.5 KE a few months ago. I noticed that it drives different, like there is less initial pull when you floor it, but it does feel a bit smoother.

I'm not familiar with the intake shutter valve and its connection to the combustion process. But from what I understand, excessive soot build-up in the combustion chamber can increase the compression ratio. In the long-run, it will cause head gasket failure and overheating.

Eh , Bulgaria , EU , the same issue , mazda cx-5 diesel 2.2 , 150 hp, 2015 , so 5 years and 148000 km . The coolant leaked without any overtemperature indicator . The dealer/service said engine was owerheated ( it was even not loaded more than 60%) Asked about 3-5K euro for "repair" , but it looks like the car still has extended warranty ( 7years and 150000 km) . I will know next days , if and how they will solve the issue.

Eh , Bulgaria , EU , the same issue , mazda cx-5 diesel 2.2 , 150 hp, 2015 , so 5 years and 148000 km . The coolant leaked without any overtemperature indicator . The dealer/service said engine was owerheated ( it was even not loaded more than 60%) Asked about 3-5K euro for "repair" , but it looks like the car still has extended warranty ( 7years and 150000 km) . I will know next days , if and how they will solve the issue.
Sorry to hear that. Usually Mazda is replacing the whole diesel engine even without warranty in many countries such as Taiwan and Australia. If you have warranty, don’t settle for a repair! The key is there’s no over-heating warnings whatsoever and the coolant suddenly is everywhere in the engine compartment. Please update us your situation.

Exactly same thing here with CX-5 D 6AUTO AKERA DIESEL AWD . (In Australia)
Car currently at Mazda awaiting assessment. Had no warning lights etc for car overheating but noticed coolant blowing back over engine from overflow tube while driving. It was only when querying this that the problem was discovered.

Note: A recall was done a few months ago and from that day on engine fan would stay on for a minute after driving reasonable distance when it hadnt before. Mazda rep has said this has nothing to do with possible head gasket failure...."R201912 2019/17867 The affected vehicles equipped with the 2.2 ltr diesel engine may be susceptible to fuel injector power loss, wear in the fuel return hose and engine vacuum pump, restricted opening of the intake shutter valve and combustion leak within the engine, resulting in a deterioration in engine performance."

Exactly same thing here with CX-5 D 6AUTO AKERA DIESEL AWD . (In Australia)
Sorry to hear of yours as well. What model year is your CX-5? Is mazda helping you with your situation?

Sorry to hear of yours as well. What model year is your CX-5? Is mazda helping you with your situation?
2015 Akera model, I’ve left it at local Mazda dealer who are assessing it on Friday, they are not making any promises at this stage but said they will refer it to Mazda once they have done the assessment

2015 Akera model, I’ve left it at local Mazda dealer who are assessing it on Friday, they are not making any promises at this stage but said they will refer it to Mazda once they have done the assessment
Several here who are having the same overheating without warning problem have reported Mazda Australia replaced the engine for free. The same happens in Taiwan of course the government there forced Mazda Taiwan replacing the broken diesel engine for free.

Hopefully Mazda will step up and take care of the situation for you. How many km's on the clock?

To me, it seems like a blown head gasket is pressurizing the cooling system.

Hopefully Mazda will step up and take care of the situation for you. How many km's on the clock?

To me, it seems like a blown head gasket is pressurizing the cooling system.
Yes, you’re probably right. At least that’s part of the reasons.

Hi DJ,
fyi!
From 2017,mazda Taiwan has stopped selling CX-5 or Mazda6 model equiped with 2.2D Diesel engine due to there were hundreds of cases reported on Mazda CX-5/Mazda6 2.2D
having head gasket blown issue,the obvious symptom is overflowing/boilng coolant from sub-tank caused by overheating of the engine.

According to the RIDICULOUS announcement of Taiwan's Mazda(https://www.mazda.com.tw/news/offers/20180906/), the Skyactiv-D 2.2-liter diesel engine model is easy to increase the combustion pressure and temperature inside the engine if it is driven at a high level on a 5% steep slope. The investigation found that if this driving mode is continued,
high-pressure combustion gas will enter the engine coolant line through the cylinder gasket, which may cause the coolant to overflow from the sub-tank cover.
To prevent this from happening, Mazda Taiwan is currently preparing to change the engine's internal combustion pressure and temperature without excessively increasing through the engine control program.

It seems that Mazda is trying to fix this HW design issue through changing the SW(uhm).
however Mazda cannot commit 100% to fix it.
further more, based on our statistical data, one-third of the CX-5/Mazda6 2.2D users could encounter this issue ,especially, when the milage is >100000 km

Currently in TW, regardless of whether the vehicle is still in the warranty or not, mazda would replace a new engine for free, a new engine with the same design flaw, that's why we have someone here driving his Mazda6 2.2d with it's fourth engine.
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2019/04/24/2003713944

The Ministry of Transportation and Communications on Monday urged Mazda Motor Taiwan to respond to an automobile safety investigation involving two of its vehicle models after a series of complaints were filed against the company over its diesel engine.

The Japanese automaker on Tuesday last week announced that it would begin recalling Mazda CX-5 and Mazda 6 Skyactive vehicles on May 6 after 36 owners complained of coolant leaks from auxiliary radiators.

However, the coolant leaks were not the only problem affecting the two models, as owners have also complained about the diesel engine*s oil pump chain breaking and exhaust gas pressure sensors going out of order, the ministry said.

The Vehicle Safety Certification Center on March 12 convened a meeting to discuss the problems affecting the two models, in which it ruled that Mazda must submit an investigation report on the causes of the broken oil pump chain and malfunctioning exhaust gas pressure sensors to the center within one month.

However, the company did not submit the report until Friday last week, following multiple requests from the center, the ministry said, adding that it found the report to be incomplete.

Broken oil pump chains are a safety concern, but the company concluded after analyzing only a few cases that the failures were caused by an improper change of motor oil, the ministry said.

The company failed to provide a detailed report that should have included examinations of oil pump chains, motor oil and other possible component failures, it added.

Although the exhaust gas pressure sensors of the two models have relatively high malfunction rates, Mazda did not recall the vehicles, saying that the problem does not trigger an alarm for possible air pollution, the ministry said.

However, it did not specify how a malfunctioning exhaust gas pressure sensor would affect the vehicle*s overall operations, it said, adding that the center has asked the company to submit a report on the matter by Friday.

*We want to remind Mazda that it must not avoid, interfere or reject investigations launched by the ministry, as doing so would contravene the Consumer Protection Act (******),* the ministry said.

*We would carry out all legal measures if it is found doing so,* the ministry said, adding that the company could face a fine of NT$30,000 to NT$300,000 for contravening the act.

Hi all - mazda cx5 / mazda 3 and mazda 6 recalls due to build up of carbon on shutter valve 2012 to 2018. Safety issue - seems like we were not all going mad! Only thing is I fixed all my drama and paid for it as "no recall on my car"!

My CX5 2012, 116000 km has just blown a head gasket. Dealer serviced and well cared for. Might be even more damage when it is dismantled. Not a great look for a premier brand.

I’m in Australia and my diesel CX5 , 2012, 115000km has just blown a head gasket and goodness knows what else. I’m awaiting the strip down and assessment. Always dealer serviced and most km done on longer trips. I bought a Mazda because of their reputation for reliability. Seems like a lot of people are having issues with this engine and I would appreciate other comments. OK it’s into its eighth year but surely I should expect more km before such issues. My old Nissan XTrail has made way over 200000km without missing a beat!

As yrwei52 pointed out above, owners of a specific country needs to band together and ask Mazda to extend the warranty on the engine.

Owners in Taiwan got their *forever warranty* on the engine body after protests and recalls.
The problem is with the sleeves of the cylinders leak diesel into oil.

As yrwei52 pointed out above, owners of a specific country needs to band together and ask Mazda to extend the warranty on the engine.

Owners in Taiwan got their *forever warranty* on the engine body after protests and recalls.
The problem is with the sleeves of the cylinders leak diesel into oil.
Ha, it seems you’re fully aware what happened in Taiwan for this 2.2L diesel overheating problem ⋯ ;)

Apparently Mazda Taiwan doesn’t want to carry this life-time warranty for every 2.2L diesel sold in Taiwan, and had decided not to import any car with 2.2L diesel for sale anymore, even though the diesel is the most popular engine there.

Last edited:
Hello people
Lets all band together and approach Mazda as one

I have posted a similar message asking other people with same issue on another site ...you are not alone

I have a 2.2 Diesel 2014 Mazda CX5 . I am based in the UK however a Mazda is a Mazda they use pretty much the same engine.
Please can you contact me with your issues , how much you paid , dates etc and I will get all of our issues together and present them to Mazda (if these companies claim to be multi-nationals then nationality and location doesnt matter here folks)
I have a quote of £2-4k from my garage and they said this is very common. I said go ahead I will argue it out with Mazda so my car is still in the garage. This happens all the time with these particular engines
So far here is what I know: EGR issues lead to overheating lead to head gasket lead to cylinder block issues - you are lucky if the garage diagnosed that first time usually you have had water pump fan radiator issues before you get to that point

Back