At what point do you throw in the towel?

broten

:
2016 Mazda CX-9 GT
I've owned a 2016 CX-9 GT now for 2 years. Almost to the day. Since then, I've had front suspension noises, rear suspension noises, 2 bad infotainment systems, a backup camera that wouldn't engage, rattling brake pads and very poor if not condescending service at my local dealership. Mazda has called the regional engineer to come look at my car as the regular mechanics can't seem to figure out where the noises are coming from. Yes, they're working on it, but I really had to put my foot down this time and demand they actually take my complaints seriously. At what point do you just give up and get rid of the car or call an attorney? They have to know that by now any good feelings I had about the car have long since subsided.

Anyone else having major CX-9 problems?

I think you have already reach the point where they should be giving you a new car if they have acknowledged that your car has issues since day one. Mine has been flawless except for the occasional infotainment system freezing and reboot. Pretty much all manufacturers will have a few lemons and you might just have had the runt of the litter. I think you deserve to be taken care of and if they can't fix it then they need to make it right.

on the bright side, at least there was no catastrophic failure that left you stranded.

Don't pay for an attorney before doing arbitration. The process is in the warranty booklet. Step 3 after dealer the Mazda na.

Don't pay for an attorney before doing arbitration. The process is in the warranty booklet. Step 3 after dealer the Mazda na.

This. Follow the process in the warranty booklet/owner's manual.

While you're doing that, I'd start reading up on Florida's Lemon Law. You can also organize any and all documentation you have of every issue you've encountered, from dealer e-mails to service orders and invoices.

To answer your question, my CX-9 has been almost perfect. I just had to have the front fender guards replaced under warranty and I had one occurrence of a blank infotainment screen that went away after I turned the car off and on again. Mine is a 2018.

Last edited:
Wow, I'm so sorry you are having so many issues with your CX-9. While I agree we have all had a lemon at one point, the dealership should be taking care of you much better than what you described. I had a 2016 CX-9 Touring and had no issues at all over 2 years. I turned it in for a 2018 CX-9 Signature and so far no issues at all. I am grateful to have a good relationship with my dealership as that makes all the difference in the long run.

Let us know how it goes and I do hope it gets fix the right way. Mazda's are very good cars but it seems like yours is that rare lemon....ugh....hang in there.

broten, it sounds like your main problem is the dealership. None of what you describe should have happened at all, and when it did happen the dealership should have jumped on it as a way to cultivate a customer for life. The advice above is good. What can a lawyer do for you at this point? Buy a half-hour of one's time and inquire about that. None of what you describe seem to be safety issues, although they certainly value issues.

Here's the Florida Lemon Law:
How The Florida Lemon Law Works

The Lemon Law covers defects or conditions that substantially impair the use, value or safety of a new or demonstrator vehicle (these are called "nonconformities"). These defects must be first reported to the manufacturer or its authorized service agent (usually, this is the dealer) during the "Lemon Law Rights Period," which is the first 24 months after the date of delivery of the motor vehicle to the consumer. If the manufacturer fails to conform the vehicle to the warranty after a reasonable number of attempts to repair these defects, the law requires the manufacturer to buy back the defective vehicle and give the consumer a purchase price refund or a replacement vehicle.

http://myfloridalegal.com/pages.nsf/Main/a510d1364b15502a85256cc9005da68a

If you're outside the 2 year period, it's no help. Stick with Mazda North America and their regional engineer.

My 2016 CX-9 has been nearly flawless...one re-boot of the info system.

Well to follow up, we've decided to throw in the towel. It's been out of service now 47 days. Not acceptable. Our local dealership offered us basic trade in value. At this point, even if I loved the car, I would hate it because of how this was all handled. The manager tried to tell me how great all the other CX-9s are that his wife and friends own. That "all brands have infotainment issues" and "the noises you are hearing are normal to everyone else". The whole experience stinks and I've already sold my 2016 Mazda6 and at this point, I'm not looking back.

Well to follow up, we've decided to throw in the towel. It's been out of service now 47 days. Not acceptable. Our local dealership offered us basic trade in value. At this point, even if I loved the car, I would hate it because of how this was all handled. The manager tried to tell me how great all the other CX-9s are that his wife and friends own. That "all brands have infotainment issues" and "the noises you are hearing are normal to everyone else". The whole experience stinks and I've already sold my 2016 Mazda6 and at this point, I'm not looking back.

Sorry to hear about your experience. Definitely sounds like you got a lemon.

Bummer. Wanny buy my 2008? its just sitting in the garage collecting dust because I only use it for trips to Lowes and it works perfectly!

Talk about bad luck, the CX-9 is at the top of the game in quality and reliability. There's guys on here reporting over 50,000 miles without a single hiccup on their 2016's. It's too bad if it destroyed your view of Mazda.

Talk about bad luck, the CX-9 is at the top of the game in quality and reliability. There's guys on here reporting over 50,000 miles without a single hiccup on their 2016's. It's too bad if it destroyed your view of Mazda.

All the dealership had to do was to get us in a new one with roughly the same payment. I probably would have taken that over, here is basic trade value, take it or leave it in the next 7 days.

All the dealership had to do was to get us in a new one with roughly the same payment. I probably would have taken that over, here is basic trade value, take it or leave it in the next 7 days.

Yes, dealers need to think about retaining customers.

I've never heard of any consumer receiving a new car in exchange for a used car.

Back