5 vs 9? And 15% off MSRP on an 2018?

:
19 CX-5 Signature
I'm shopping for a new CX5 Signature. I'm a bull and am working a few deals very hard but not sure I'm gonna get to my number. I'm not gonna (over)pay for a car that's hot now but won't be in 3 months.

Because the numbers look like I can buy a 9 GT 18 leftover for close to the price of a 5 Signature I looked at the 9 while on the lot. It didn't seem all that much bigger than the 5 and frankly, is close on size to competitor's offerings in the small SUV segment ( which the 5 is in). The 9 is a smaller 3 row SUV. I'd never use the 3rd row but the extra space would come in handy, I'm sure. Wife and I, retired, and our labrador. MPG is only 1 less on the 9 also.

Anyone consider all this and ultimately decide on the 9?

Is 15% off MSRP on an 18 9 GT realistic heading into end of December?

Thanks.

That is the position we were in. I was all a go for the CX5 signature. But it made more sense for us to trade in our mini-van for a 3-row SUV. We use the 3rd row for short trips every now and then (maybe once every 2 months) so it was good to have. And I like the extra room. I would also say that the CX-9 was quieter and just felt more luxurious in the 1st and 2nd rows than the CX-5.

And you are right about the price. I had a quote for 38,428.00 from a dealer in Bel-Air, MD (Heritage). My local dealer said 38.5 and I got him to throw in an extended warranty and CarPlay to do it that moment. With that said, I think they might have low balled my trade but I could live with that.

The one thing I will say is that the CX-9 is a big car. The CX-5 was small and nimble and the 2.5T in that car makes it even more capable. The CX-9 is a large hunk of metal.

The other option is a 2019 GT. You can get that for close to 39K and it has almost everything the Signature has. In a car this big, the 3D camera, no matter how bad, is useful and the folding mirrors are just cool!

Last edited:
I'm cross shopping both right now and the pricing is making the decision difficult. A 2018 CX-9 GT or even Signature trim from 38-40k or a 2019 CX-5 Signature for maybe 2k less best case scenario. I don't really need all the extra room of the CX-9 and will never use the 3rd row so its just extra weight. I know the CX-5 will handle better in the turns and the CX-9 will feel much more substantial and comfortable. I have yet to drive the CX-9. That is next. I currently have the 2016 CX-5 GT and while I really like it there are times it feels a little small and on the compact size. Especially on long road trips.

I traded in the the 2016 CX-5 GT and got a 2018 CX-9 GT dealer driven 5000 miles and sold as "new" (meaning the car has never been titled so warranty starts now). They gave me a great price for my trade in ( they already had a buyer) and a good number on the CX-9 so I went for it. I got it for less than a new CX-5 Reserve would have cost me. I took the car for an overnight test drive and even though it is my wife car I was sold. To me it's a very different ride from the CX-5 but other than that it's just a bigger version. The extra wheelbase and weight make the ride a lot more plush and it just feels more substantial. I did drive a CX-5 Reserve but it was a test ride so I couldn't really hammer it but I have to say the engine feels stronger than my old non turbo and it's a great ride. I just felt like for the same money I got a bit more car.

I'm shopping for a new CX5 Signature. I'm a bull and am working a few deals very hard but not sure I'm gonna get to my number. I'm not gonna (over)pay for a car that's hot now but won't be in 3 months.

If the numbers have all come in, I would say its far more important to get the vehicle that "speaks to you" because over time, any satisfaction over a few hundred dollars savings will not over-ride thoughts of "I wish I got instead."

Not sure where you are in PA, but I can tell you that in the greater Pgh/SW region, everybody and their mothers and grand-mothers, are driving various model year 5's, albeit not turbo or sig. It is obviously something that a large segment have found appealing and affordable. The 9's on the other hand are not nearly as commonplace, and of course it has been at a different price-point, at least until now with the high-end versions of the 5.

Back