Thread: 2011 Front Passenger Window Issue

Registered Member

Mazda CX-9

2011 Front Passenger Window Issue

I posted this in the how-to section which is the wrong place, but I'm not sure where best to post it. I don't think windows are really an "accessory," but maybe...:-) If there is a better sub-forum under CX-9, please let me know and I'll post it there.

Before I dig into this, I thought I'd check to see if anyone has had a similar issue. I've done a cursory search and seen it's easy and fairly inexpensive to replace the window motor, and I have instructions on how to "reset" the windows but I think that's really for issues with the auto feature.

Symptom: Front passenger window will not go all the way down (stops about half way). When the up-button on either the driver or passenger door panel is actuated, the window goes up to about one inch from fully closed, but then goes back down. Occasionally if you continue actuating the up-button, the window will remain up at that point where it is one inch from fully closed, but usually once you let go of the up-button, it goes back down to half open.

I'm guessing something in the jam-safety system, but I don't know how that works. Are there sensors?

Registered Member

Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 2016

Maybe just dirt or rust on the moving parts? Maybe a bad switch grounding out? Damaged wiring grounding out? Is anything wet?

Do the easy & cheap stuff first. Take the door panel off and take a good look at things. Give it a try and watch what happens. Does anything need cleaning & lube?

Registered Member

Mazda CX-9

Thanks for the reply. I have some trim tools and will take the panel off and investigate. At this point, given that we've had the transfer gear case replaced twice recently and the transmission needs to be rebuilt already (it started failing at about 95k miles), I think I'll just get a used window motor ($25) to pop in there if it ends up being the motor.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 2015

silicone spray maybe for troubleshooting, see if it frees up the glass on the channels
    Last edited by 274HP; 12-20-2018 at 03:06 PM.