Signature v GTR

I do wonder as well. In the Signature model, the "wood" detailing is so minor and the 3D camera so poor, I think many people might drop to the GT-R version. Add to the fact that right now, a GT-R can be had for 34K, while the Sig is closer to 36K. Those prices are not bad but I got my 2018 CX-9 Signature for 38.5K.

If I wanted a Silver CX-5, I would buy the Signature version because I like the brown leather better than the black. But if I got any other color, I would get the GT-R version with the parchment leather.

I've been researching and shopping for a CX-5 and this is the same conclusion I came to. The $2K premium for the Signature didn't seem worth it for basically a mediocre 360 camera (low-res, highly distorted) and parking sensors. Other than those thing the GTR basically has all the same stuff. So after Christmas I'll be ordering a GTR with parchment leather.

Plus, I like the contrast of the parchment color leather in the interior and that's not even available in the Signature. The dark brown leather doesn't really work with the Signature's mostly-dark interior for me, it just looks really drab overall, even though the leather itself is a nice quality. Just dark on darker. The parchment leather really pops and also I think looks great with the Soul Red paint. I am a little worried about staining and keeping it clean but my wife has a 2.5 year old Civic with gray leather (a bit on the lighter side than darker) and it's fine, so I think it'll be OK.

For those who like/get the parchment leather; you should plan on some type of protection from staining. Especially front seat bottoms. Dyed fabrics like jeans will stain them and they get dirty. The color is beautiful but it*s very very light.

For those who like/get the parchment leather; you should plan on some type of protection from staining. Especially front seat bottoms. Dyed fabrics like jeans will stain them and they get dirty. The color is beautiful but it*s very very light.

This is why I avoided parchment.

I've been researching and shopping for a CX-5 and this is the same conclusion I came to. The $2K premium for the Signature didn't seem worth it for basically a mediocre 360 camera (low-res, highly distorted) and parking sensors. Other than those thing the GTR basically has all the same stuff. So after Christmas I'll be ordering a GTR with parchment leather.

Plus, I like the contrast of the parchment color leather in the interior and that's not even available in the Signature. The dark brown leather doesn't really work with the Signature's mostly-dark interior for me, it just looks really drab overall, even though the leather itself is a nice quality. Just dark on darker. The parchment leather really pops and also I think looks great with the Soul Red paint. I am a little worried about staining and keeping it clean but my wife has a 2.5 year old Civic with gray leather (a bit on the lighter side than darker) and it's fine, so I think it'll be OK.

My thinking exactly. Im holding out final verdict until I see the sig in person, but Im highly disappointed that they went with dark brown leather. Parchment looks way more luxe and modern.

I wonder how practical it will be to retrofit some of the sig features on a GTR later - namely the ambient lighting and frameless mirror. Dont really care about the wood or crummy parking aids.

Personally I love the dark brown. Id probably go GTR though with black as Im not sure the extras are worth it. Also the leather used in GTR I bet will wear better.

Personally I love the dark brown. I*d probably go GTR though with black as I*m not sure the extras are worth it. Also the leather used in GTR I bet will wear better.

I might be wrong, but I always thought the wear index of semi-aniline and Nappa was similar to cheaper stuff. The full aniline stuff is the really thin and soft stuff that I think rips easy.

The color is nice but looks darker than what is found in the Mazda 6.

So the added torque will be good for towing jetski/trailer about 1200lbs or should I just buy the NA?
As I understand it the towing capability is the same (or negligible) between the turbo and non-turbo. Mazda rates them the same at 2K lbs. Either should be able to handle 1200 lbs fine so go with whichever motor you like.

It is a bit odd though, I also would have thought the extra torque would mean better towing capability. Its possible they didnt want to redesign everything just for the towing though. For example, the tow hitch and structural joints are specced to a certain strength of steel, the engine is programmed a certain way for towing capability, the AWD system takes a certain amount of weight into account, the brakes might have to be larger, etc. so maybe the engine itself is capable of towing more, but without upgrading all the other bits, they cant rate it higher. Too bad but I get it, I doubt this is a car many people buy for towing anything, let alone heavier loads.

Last edited:
As I understand it the towing capability is the same (or negligible) between the turbo and non-turbo. Mazda rates them the same at 2K lbs. Either should be able to handle 1200 lbs fine so go with whichever motor you like.

It is a bit odd though, I also would have thought the extra torque would mean better towing capability. It*s possible they didn*t want to redesign everything just for the towing though. For example, the tow hitch and structural joints are specced to a certain strength of steel, the engine is programmed a certain way for towing capability, the AWD system takes a certain amount of weight into account, the brakes might have to be larger, etc. so maybe the engine itself is capable of towing more, but without upgrading all the other bits, they can*t rate it higher. Too bad but I get it, I doubt this is a car many people buy for towing anything, let alone heavier loads.

Right on. In a perfect world, everybody has an F350 (to compensate for my small john), lambo, soccer mom van on the sides for each duty. :).

Last edited:

I really like the wheels on the Signature trim. So the other features is just more gravy in my book. The 360 camera might be mediocre...but I'll take the 3 extra cameras and the parking sensors.

You will definitely pull the hill and mountain passes faster with a trailer with the turbo. Not gonna get into the political/legal or whatever debate on towing with CX-5... in AU for example you can tow 4500 lbs if you have electric brakes on trailer.

https://www.mazda.com.au/cars/cx-5/specifications/

Actually looking at AU specs above once you don't do Turbo Diesel or Petrol capacity drops down a little bit--->3968 lbs.

The US manual actually says you need trailer brakes for towing over 1000 lbs. 2000 lbs limit is with brakes. Funny, because most trailers with brakes weigh over 1000lbs unloaded, and these would need to be surge brakes, because nobody would ever fit a brake controller to a CX-5.

Good observation.

The US manual actually says you need trailer brakes for towing over 1000 lbs. 2000 lbs limit is with brakes. Funny, because most trailers with brakes weigh over 1000lbs unloaded, and these would need to be surge brakes, because nobody would ever fit a brake controller to a CX-5.

Why not? Brake controller can be had for $30 and electric brakes for less than $100. Surge brake kits cost more not including the brake drum.

This is why I avoided parchment.
As a guy whos owned many, many cars with all colors of leather and who has also formerly been a pro wrencher the only serious leather damages i have seen have been from too wet, too much dog traffic, kids with nasty stuff, big fat people and city cars which have suffered from lots of in and outs. There is such a thing as cleaning leather and it's a surface that demands a certain amount of upkeep. A brown btl & orange btl of Lexol is an automatic. BTW I've worn jeans for years and never have I had blue on any leather seat? Not saying it's untrue just that never seen that on the many owned and wrenched on. Our current BMW X3 is ordered new from factory delivery plan, has 66k on it right now and other than a now and then spray and clean Lexol job it's very close to new looking and is a light tan color common with the brand.
I was a sports car guy for many years and the English leathers were heavy like the GTR description but an entirely different leather than as seen in modern cars. It hated rain too. The cheaper leathers like the lower CX trims (I have seen only 2018 leather) is a coated leather that appears to be non top grain which is typical of virtually every non luxury car on the market I have laid eyes on. I did look inside a 2019 Volvo S90 the other day and it was a top grain leather but not a car I wanted for that matter. My BMW is a decent leather but not the leather you'll see in that brands top of the line cars.

Ive seen it happen with the parchment leather on the Mazda. I probably wouldnt be that worried about the light brown in a BMW but would always option something darker just because I prefer that look.

Op here. After some hemmin and hawin and flippin and floppin we*re picking up the Signature (White) in a half hour.....

Last edited:
Op here. After some hemmin and hawin and flippin and floppin we*re picking up the Signature (White) in a half hour.....

Congrats! I struggled a bit with the decision between GTR, Signature and a competing model, but also chose the Signature. I wasn't initially a fan of the dark interior with black headliner but it has grown on me. I did want the parking sensors and 360 cam and, despite the low resolution, these have already been useful. The LED ambient lighting, especially in the footwells, is a nice bonus. Hope you enjoy your new ride.

Back