Signature v GTR

:
19 CX-5 Signature
The one feature in the Signature Id have trouble doing without is the dark silver wheels. They are sweet. My wife, who would normally not care one iota even said, I dont really care what model or color but it better have those wheels. That said, my local dealer doesnt have any GTRs in stock so we havent been able to see one with the same wheels in brilliant silver.

The fancy leather and wood, the 360* thingy, frameless mirror, etc, are all nice but can easily do without these. As usual, depends on which model they want off their lot more. My guess, Sigs are gonna sit - at least in my neck of the woods.

I do wonder as well. In the Signature model, the "wood" detailing is so minor and the 3D camera so poor, I think many people might drop to the GT-R version. Add to the fact that right now, a GT-R can be had for 34K, while the Sig is closer to 36K. Those prices are not bad but I got my 2018 CX-9 Signature for 38.5K.

If I wanted a Silver CX-5, I would buy the Signature version because I like the brown leather better than the black. But if I got any other color, I would get the GT-R version with the parchment leather.

I do wonder as well. In the Signature model, the "wood" detailing is so minor and the 3D camera so poor, I think many people might drop to the GT-R version. Add to the fact that right now, a GT-R can be had for 34K, while the Sig is closer to 36K. Those prices are not bad but I got my 2018 CX-9 Signature for 38.5K.

If I wanted a Silver CX-5, I would buy the Signature version because I like the brown leather better than the black. But if I got any other color, I would get the GT-R version with the parchment leather.

Interesting. My wife is now telling me she wants *real* leather, even after she*s had fake leather in her Honda for years. I bet if she*d see the parchment she*d flip on that demand.

I bet if she*d see the parchment she*d flip on that demand.

Although beautiful, be wary of the light colored leathers. Had it with our E90 and would never buy a light interior again. Dye transfers from jeans, coats, etc. really detract from their look.

Im pretty sure the GTR leather is real. I think its only the sport and touring that get the synthetic leather.

I feel like I would want the 360 camera and parking sensors. However it does seem like its not as well implemented as some others so it might just irritate me like the infotainment does on my current GT.

The one feature in the Signature I*d have trouble doing without is the *dark* silver wheels. They are sweet. My wife, who would normally not care one iota even said, *I don*t really care what model or color but it better have those wheels.* That said, my local dealer doesn*t have any GTRs in stock so we haven*t been able to see one with the same wheels in *brilliant silver*.

The fancy leather and wood, the 360* thingy, frameless mirror, etc, are all nice but can easily do without these. As usual, depends on which model they want off their lot more. My guess, Sigs are gonna sit - at least in my neck of the woods.

The reports are that Sigs are pre-sold before they even come off the boat. So far Sigs are only 5% of CX-5 shipments. It remains to be seen if that will change.

The Sig leather is much nicer then GT-R. It's a softer leather and a real nice "almost black" color. The leather in the GT-R is a stiffer grade. Try and sit in both.

I feel like I would want the 360 camera and parking sensors. However it does seem like it*s not as well implemented as some others so it might just irritate me like the infotainment does on my current GT.

The 360 degree mode is nice but the entire infotainment system is a lowlight. The NAV hasn't improved much and the backup camera is terrible. Andoid Auto is OK but the Waze map has such tiny font it's barely readable. I might go back to Garmin.

Last edited:
The reports are that Sigs are pre-sold before they even come off the boat. So far Sigs are only 5% of CX-5 shipments. It remains to be seen if that will change.

The Sig leather is much nicer then GT-R. It's a softer leather and a real nice "almost black" color. The leather in the GT-R is a stiffer grade. Try and sit in both.

GT leather might wear better over time? I havent been able to compare but my past experience with leather in general is the soft stuff isnt as durable.

Just bough the GTR - red, black leather.

The above posts are wise. The $2K you save over the Signature was the final consideration. We decided on the black leather after the questionable performance (dirty look) on our 2015 CX-5 GT.

We didn*t see the advantages associated with interior lighting, *headliner*, *dirty* wheels, 360 view (why?), *almost* black leather and frameless mirror.

I looked and drove the Sig. and was very impressed with the ride, not so much with the leather and the 360 thing. For me, the outstanding points were: turbo engine, smooth quiet ride, screen display, Apple play, greatest lay-out of controls (only BMW and Audi come close), soul red color (wife*s car, she is a magician) and great, simple and elegant look.

The 360 degree mode is nice but the entire infotainment system is a lowlight. The NAV hasn't improved much and the backup camera is terrible. Andoid Auto is OK but the Waze map has such tiny font it's barely readable. I might go back to Garmin.

My local dealers have two or three and all are available to buy.

I*m not seeing almost black leather in the Sig, is dark red-brown to me.

I have sat in both the Sig and GTR and both leathers are sweet. The Sig is higher end for sure but the GTR was overall more comfortable as new as it*s softer. Over time the Sig will age and be as comfortable I*m guessing.

True that the parchment is very light, but it*s sure purdy.

JMO

Last edited:
r and the 3D camera so poor,
Yes they can definitely improve on this, have you ever seen the BMW version of it? It's like someone is walking around your car with a camera! i think that's what the market should all aim for.
With that said, the 360 isn't that bad if you compare it to the nissan rogue. although similar, the mazda's 360 displays it better.
Let's just say the the whole infotainment display should be more high res, but it's definitely usable and not horrible.

Have you had experiences with the 360 camera on other cars?

My local dealers have two or three and all are available to buy.

I*m not seeing almost black leather in the Sig, is dark red-brown to me.

I have sat in both the Sig and GTR and both leathers are sweet. The Sig is higher end for sure but the GTR was overall more comfortable as new as it*s softer. Over time the Sig will age and be as comfortable I*m guessing.

True that the parchment is very light, but it*s sure purdy.

JMO

Yeah, the GT-R uses leather but just a different type. The leather in the Signature is really nice and more akin to what is found in the Mazda 6 than in the CX-9. Even though all are "Nappa" they all feel different to me. I honesty don't think you could go wrong buying either one.

Yes they can definitely improve on this, have you ever seen the BMW version of it? It's like someone is walking around your car with a camera! i think that's what the market should all aim for.
With that said, the 360 isn't that bad if you compare it to the nissan rogue. although similar, the mazda's 360 displays it better.
Let's just say the the whole infotainment display should be more high res, but it's definitely usable and not horrible.

Have you had experiences with the 360 camera on other cars?

The ones Ive experienced seemed more Hd vs the blurry low res of the Mazda. Even just their backup camera is like this. Contrast to my GTI with its clear HD like display. Also stays clean.

I had the last gen sante fe (don't know how the new version is), and the backup camera was definitely better than the Mazda's and it was not as warped either.
My current mazda3 and cx-3 backup cameras are not really blurry just a bit low res but hardly a deal breaker, i have seen worse.
But in terms of 360 camera, I have not experienced any other cameras in this category that's any better, have you?

The ones I*ve experienced seemed more Hd vs the blurry low res of the Mazda. Even just their backup camera is like this. Contrast to my GTI with it*s clear HD like display. Also stays clean.

I had the last gen sante fe (don't know how the new version is), and the backup camera was definitely better than the Mazda's and it was not as warped either.
My current mazda3 and cx-3 backup cameras are not really blurry just a bit low res but hardly a deal breaker, i have seen worse.
But in terms of 360 camera, I have not experienced any other cameras in this category that's any better, have you?

Yea I dont like Nissan but their 360 IMO is implemented better. Also Fords is quite nice.

To me it sticks out because in so many ways this car is so well executed. Then the infotainment and 360 cam just dont seem like they were built by the same company with the same level of execution. If the rest of the car was just meh it wouldnt be so obvious.

Last edited:
i know i feel the same way.
Certain things i feel they definitely cheaped out on. I'm pretty sure they will surely improve it...
the good news is at least the HUD's are pretty top notch and in color!

Yea I don*t like Nissan but their 360 IMO is implemented better. Also Ford*s is quite nice.

To me it sticks out because in so many ways this car is so well executed. Then the infotainment and 360 cam just don*t seem like they were built by the same company with the same level of execution. If the rest of the car was just meh it wouldn*t be so obvious.

My dealer said that in the next 3 months they are expecting 30+ Sigs, and 7 GTRs. I really think it depends on location.

My dealer said that in the next 3 months they are expecting 30+ Sigs, and 7 GTRs. I really think it depends on location.

Our dealer went from having two 2019 CX-5's to having over 60 in a week. They are coming in and moving out. My dealers thinks 50% of the sales will be in the two highest trims with nobody buying the regular GTs (which he ordered lots of).

Our dealer went from having two 2019 CX-5's to having over 60 in a week. They are coming in and moving out. My dealers thinks 50% of the sales will be in the two highest trims with nobody buying the regular GTs (which he ordered lots of).

That seems pretty likely. Why did Mazda drop the 2.0 from almost everything? With Mazda people are gravitating to the upper trims and larger engines. Probably cross shopping premium brands and finding Mazda to be a bargain.

Back