Super dissatisfied with the CX-5 2.5 Turbo Part 2

Watched vid of new Rav4 test drive with their new engine..........eeeeekkk..........yikes.........that cvt engine drone sound!! Sort of kills it for me.

I dont think the new RAV 4 is all that like so many here.

The 2019 Toyota RAV4 Has Personality Again - Car and Driver / November 2018

Car and Driver / November 2018 by Joey Capparella said:
One of the first compact crossovers is once again a compelling choice.

The Toyota RAV4, once a spunky uptart that pioneered the compact-crossover movement, has gotten progressively more mainstream over the course of its four generations. As it has slowly adopted the anodyne character that long characterized so many Toyotas, it has actually overtaken the Camry in sales, becoming the bestselling non-pickup in the United States in 2017 (and looking to repeat this year).

HIGHS
Good looks inside and out, pleasant driving experience, lots of variety.
LOWS
Noisy engine, so-so acceleration.

Improved Inside and Out

But because of the high-quality plastics, the bevy of soft-touch areas, and the solid feel of the switchgear, it all works quite well together. Although the Mazda CX-5 has the RAV4 beat in terms of a true premium feel, we can't think of many crossovers in this price range that can match the Toyota's unique combination of funkiness and functionality, let alone its diverse array of interior treatments.

All-Wheel Drive, Three Different Ways

Regardless of which setup you choose, the RAV4 rides and steers far better than it ever has. As in other new Toyota products that use the company's new family of architectures, the RAV4 has a solid and satisfying feel, with a nicely weighted steering rack and controlled body motions. The ride is firm but compliant, and damping keeps impacts from intruding on the cabin. The numbers reflect the dynamic improvements, too: Even the off-road-oriented Adventure model we tested pulled a competitive 0.83 g on the skidpad and stopped from 70 mph in a solid 166 feet.

The standard 2.5-liter four is significantly more powerful and torquier than beforeit now makes 203 horsepower and 184 lb-ft of torque, 27 horses and 12 lb-ft more than its predecessorbut neither its character nor its performance is all that different. The RAV4 Adventure hits 60 mph in 8.0 seconds, just 0.3 second ahead of an equivalent 2018 Adventure model. And the engine is still somewhat buzzy, with plenty of noise under wide-open throttle, which hurts the RAV4's refinement quotient despite the more polished chassis. An eight-speed automatic shifts smoothly and helps improve fuel economy. We saw 32 mpg in our 75-mph real-world fuel-economy test, beating its predecessor by a whopping 7 mpg.

Thoroughly Competitive Lineup

The new RAV4's inherent goodness means that this newly diverse lineup of models serves to usefully broaden its appeal rather than making up for some deficiency. So if we're destined to see hundreds of thousands of these things crowding the road, at least we can be glad that they won't all be the same.

I think the RAV4 is going after Forester and Cherokee buyers more so that the audience that would be looking at CX-5 or a Rouge. Given the mutual investments it makes sense to target slightly different parts of the market.

All this nonsense about turbo lag on higher end cars. Turbo lag is almost a thing of the past. Especially on the higher end marquee's. It's not 1980 anymore.

I don*t think the new RAV 4 is all that like so many here.

Pretty sure that's just one guy that talks about that thing all the time. ;)

All this nonsense about turbo lag on higher end cars. Turbo lag is almost a thing of the past. Especially on the higher end marquee's. It's not 1980 anymore.

Agreed. The GTI is pretty instant response. Doesnt feel lagged compared to the CX-5 thats for sure!

As a 2017 BMW owner with a turbo, I beg to differ. Its not as bad as things were in the 80s, but its definitely a still a thing.

Thing about the new RAV is that you get a free year's payments, basically, by year 3, in retained value when compared to a CX5. That's pretty legit!

Watched vid of new Rav4 test drive with their new engine..........eeeeekkk..........yikes.........that cvt engine drone sound!! Sort of kills it for me.

The regular model has an A8, not a CVT, so... there's also that.

Also, at least Toyota can get a vehicle to test crew by release date. The Hybrid drops next year, and we already got real data...what up MazDuh?
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/toyota/rav4-hybrid/2019/2019-toyota-rav4-hybrid-first-test/

(That lateral acceleration tho...damn! OUCH!!!! Lt. 'Yoda! You ain't got no legs!)

Last edited:
As a 2017 BMW owner with a turbo, I beg to differ. Its not as bad as things were in the 80s, but its definitely a still a thing.

I dont think what youre feeling is actually turbo lag but programmed into their ECU. On my ST I had before you could eliminate that with a tune from Cobb ect. On the GTI you can cut it out with Obdeleven or VAGCOM. Im pretty sure Cobb tunes BMW also.

Thing about the new RAV is that you get a free year's payments, basically, by year 3, in retained value when compared to a CX5. That's pretty legit!

I care more about actually liking the car than its resale. I know a lot of people see it as an A to B appliance and just want to lose the least value and thats where a Toyota makes sense and why they still had good sales with an inferior product.

I tend to think if you like Mazda or the CX-5 its because you dont want an appliance.

Agreed. The GTI is pretty instant response. Doesnt feel lagged compared to the CX-5 thats for sure!

Yeah, but there are differences. The Audi 2.0T is smooth and refined. The Honda 2.0T has some lag but builds nicely and feels racy. The Subaru 2.0T is old school with major turbo lag but when the power comes, it hits hard.

I actually learned to drive stick-shift on an old 944 Turbo S. The turbo lag on that car was nuts. It would feel as if you were in neutral but when the turbo spooled, it was like a rocket (for 1989!).

I*m not saying it*s garbage. I would say it*s caught up not that it*s completely out classing options like the CX-5 like some seem to think.

Old one I quickly eliminated when we*re researching before getting the CX-5. This one I would probably at least go test drive.

Yeah, all the reviews tend to comment about the lackluster engine, the noise and the transmission.

I own my mazdas because to me

1) looks sexy
2) handles very well
3) pricing is very reasonable

if a manufacture's car looks sexy but handles soso...i might still consider it,
but if a car handles very well but looks like doodoo...i'll pass for sure =P

I care more about actually liking the car than it*s resale. I know a lot of people see it as an A to B appliance and just want to lose the least value and that*s where a Toyota makes sense and why they still had good sales with an inferior product.

I tend to think if you like Mazda or the CX-5 it*s because you don*t want an appliance.

I care more about actually liking the car than it*s resale. I know a lot of people see it as an A to B appliance and just want to lose the least value and that*s where a Toyota makes sense and why they still had good sales with an inferior product.

I tend to think if you like Mazda or the CX-5 it*s because you don*t want an appliance.

Appliances are where it's at, though. RAV sales > CX5 sales. Also, look at CX5, it's become much more appliance like.

Appliances are where it's at, though. RAV sales > CX5 sales. Also, look at CX5, it's become much more appliance like.

If that were the case no one would by luxury cars..... they depreciate the most. But I see a lot of them on the road so I think you just want an appliance. Which is fine. But that doesnt mean everyone does.

Toyotas sell well on reputation. But thats mainly with the older generation. Millennials and down are likely to see the value in Hyundai ect. I think Toyota is going to slip. They realize this and I think thats why they tried a lot harder with all their new vehicles.

If that were the case no one would by luxury cars..... they depreciate the most. But I see a lot of them on the road so I think you just want an appliance. Which is fine. But that doesn*t mean everyone does.

Toyotas sell well on reputation. But that*s mainly with the older generation. Millennials and down are likely to see the value in Hyundai ect. I think Toyota is going to slip. They realize this and I think that*s why they tried a lot harder with all their new vehicles.

Toyota won't slip, they have the 86, Supra, C-HR, and the like. Toyota is absolutely on-point in their marketing and demographic catering. They have Lexus, and the recently absorbed Scion, spanning the spectrum.

Meh...why is anyone so concerned about resale and buying a new car in a few years even buying in the first place?

Back