Super dissatisfied with the CX-5 2.5 Turbo Part 2

:
New Jersey
Well I drove the turbo a few days ago and the engine behaves exactly like it does in the 9. It is so neutered, no fun to be found anywhere in the power band. Im passing.
I also had issue with the seat. Whats with the seam that runs right under your butt? It felt like I was sitting on a wire, very strange. (GTR)
I also drove a Volvo XC40. I liked it more but it wasnt significantly better than my 14 GT. Hope you guys enjoy your new cars, they certainly look fantastic inside and out.
RL

To me, the really great thing about the Turbo motor is that it DOES NOT feel like a turbo motor. Very linear pull. Feels like a naturally aspirated V6. I like it and feel its perfectly suited to the CX-5. The power band does seem a little flat when you wind it out but my guess is the higher octane would lessen that sensation a bit.

Whenever Dave Coleman talks about it hes pretty clear that the engine isnt a performance engine or designed in any way to be wrung out. I feel as though its definitely as advertised. Maybe not as desired by some.

Whenever Dave Coleman talks about it hes pretty clear that the engine isnt a performance engine or designed in any way to be wrung out. I feel as though its definitely as advertised. Maybe not as desired by some.

People expecting Track performance from Mazda. [emoji23]

Isnt that what Mazdaspeed was supposed to be? Mazda looks to have gone all in on the entry-lux market, I like the direction its gone. It also exploits the niche market-space they fill compared to Honda. Great marketing.

You wouldn't expect supercar performance from a twin turbo diesel either, the attraction to me is the effortless hill climbing along with good acceleration, I don't need to be thrown back into the seat to enjoy a car.

You know what im super dissatisfied about? No legit cx5 turbo track numbers or test data.

This.. all these reviews contain no real data.. just subjection. I mean what can I take from a video of a cx5 driving around in the snow like any other car lol. All it takes is a $5 obd2 adapter and torque app. I'd give it a month or maybe a more technical member owner will submit their own data.

You know what im super dissatisfied about? No legit cx5 turbo track numbers or test data.
That's partly due to reviewers rushing to get early with something- all videos are shot in Canada where Mazda held an event. Give it time. Only one or two YouTubers even bother with testing performance. Savageese is one.

Last edited:
People expecting Track performance from Mazda. [emoji23]

Isnt that what Mazdaspeed was supposed to be? Mazda looks to have gone all in on the entry-lux market, I like the direction its gone. It also exploits the niche market-space they fill compared to Honda. Great marketing.
Track performance is a distant thing. This thing has same mpg as a FWD CX-9. Has a 7 second time to 60. Its a good car if you have a family weighing 250 lbs/person. You will enjoy the torque.
Its like Mazda thought that we can put features from 2019 in a drivetrain from 2013(number wise). It might work very well though.

Last edited:
Well I drove the turbo a few days ago and the engine behaves exactly like it does in the 9. It is so neutered, no fun to be found anywhere in the power band. I*m passing.
I also had issue with the seat. What*s with the seam that runs right under your butt? It felt like I was sitting on a wire, very strange. (GTR)
I also drove a Volvo XC40. I liked it more but it wasn*t significantly better than my 14 GT. Hope you guys enjoy your new cars, they certainly look fantastic inside and out.
RL

My idea of "fun" is seamless acceleration without the dead pedal affect. If you want more fun try the GC Trackhawk.

"To each his own".

Last edited:
One thing Ive learned that I absolutely hate about many modern cars with automatic transmissions (especially those with turbo motor) is throttle lag. Its a major factor in how much I will enjoy my car. My former 2014 Ford Explorer Sport had a twin turbo motor that had no lag and also felt like a NA v8 as far as the pull it had. My current Jeep Grand Cherokee with the hemi Laos has no lag. 2017 Mazda CX-5 Signature-also no lag whatsoever.

As another example-I like the looks and overall driving experience with latest turbo 4 cylinder versions of the Audi A4 and BMW 330. Both are great looking cars that drive well. But there is a major difference in the two-the A4 has a twin clutch automatic transmission and the BMW has a traditional torque converter transmission. The A4 has ridiculous lag from a stop. The BMW does not. Both shift very well at speed, with a slight nod to the A4. But I would have a hard time buying the A4 with the terrible throttle/trans lag from a stop. Would irritate me big time. And its such a great car otherwise! Too bad.

And CVTs are god awful to drive.

I guess my point is the drivetrain on the Mazda CX-5 Signature really sold me. Its really well sorted out. Actually, the NA version is as well.

Well I drove the turbo a few days ago and the engine behaves exactly like it does in the 9. It is so neutered, no fun to be found anywhere in the power band. Im passing.
I also had issue with the seat. Whats with the seam that runs right under your butt? It felt like I was sitting on a wire, very strange. (GTR)
I also drove a Volvo XC40. I liked it more but it wasnt significantly better than my 14 GT. Hope you guys enjoy your new cars, they certainly look fantastic inside and out.
RL

My idea of "fun" is seamless acceleration without the dead pedal affect. If you want more fun try the GC Trackhawk.

"To each his own".

In some way you are right. If you drive the CX-5 Signature it will feel in many ways, similar to your GT. However, what you will notice is when you really want to put the hammer down to quickly pass a car or do something, it will move and it will move fast. It is not designed to be a sports car but a more refined vehicle. You will never feel or hear the turbo kick in. It is just seamless and that is exactly what they want.

Personally, I really like the 2.5T in the CX-9 (so much I bought one!). Honestly, the "performance" numbers may be higher in a Honda Pilot, Odyssey, MDX and even a Highlander but I prefer the 2.5T in the Mazda to all those V6s. And yes, I can hear the cries already: "the pilot and Odyssey can do 0-60 in as low as 5.9 seconds..."

That's partly due to reviewers rushing to get early with something- all videos are shot in Canada where Mazda held an event. Give it time. Only one or two YouTubers even bother with testing performance. Savageese is one.

...and somehow Car and Driver/Road and Track/etc. didn't manage to get one before they could buy it off the lot?

I kinda of disagree. I test drove a Signature yesterday. If you expect to get planted in the back of you seat from a dead stop, yes, you will be disappointed. This is a compact SUV, not a sports car. What I liked was that in traffic, this torquey car was punchy and responsive. The ability to accelerate and pass while driving was impressive to me, which is what seems important rather than to be able to blast off from a stop sign.

I also liked that the car was very quiet

The Bose stereo was not impressive.

It test drove the brand new 2019 Rav 4 just after driving the Mazda Signature. I liked it a lot, it's bigger than the previous model, the interior room was surprisingly plentiful, particularly the back seat. The interior was wide, lots of shoulder room.

The only problem is that the 203HP engine was a dog, and likely a deal killer for me. If Toyota had put a V6 in this thing, it would have been awesome

Last edited:
I kinda of disagree. I test drove a Signature yesterday. If you expect to get planted in the back of you seat from a dead stop, yes, you will be disappointed. This is a compact SUV, not a sports car. What I liked was that in traffic, this torquey car was punchy and responsive. The ability to accelerate and pass while driving was impressive to me, which is what seems important rather than to be able to blast off from a stop sign.

I also liked that the car was very quiet

The Bose stereo was not impressive.

It test drove the brand new 2019 Rav 4 just after driving the Mazda Signature. I liked it a lot, it's bigger than the previous model, the interior room was surprisingly plentiful, particularly the back seat. The interior was wide, lots of shoulder room.

The only problem is that the 203HP engine was a dog, and likely a deal killer for me. If Toyota had put a V6 in this thing, it would have been awesome

Exactly the point is to be quick and responsive in traffic not a stop light drag racer. I honestly think 0-60 isnt the relevant stat anymore. Especially for cars in this segment.

So you own a cx-5 GT and test drove the signature 2.5t and found it lacking. Well you already have a great car at a GT trim level which you own. So I guess you were expecting M car performance and Lexus luxury on the signature? I guess your expectations were high and found the improvements not too impressive. I guess its like Apple, they upgraded their phones with better and faster processors but it wasnt enough of a change for me to upgrade.
To each their own. Good luck on your next car.

I have the GT 17 and based on impressions so far I feel its definitely not worth upgrading. If I want better performance I need to be looking at an Audi, BMW ect.

Back