Break-in/first oil change on 2.5T

Has anyone used the Mexico recommendation of 5W-30 instead of the USA recommendation of 0W-20 in their CX-5 2.4l?

Is Castrol Edge Advanced 0W-20 and Castrol Edge 0W-30 the same? Castrol Edge Advanced is $27.47 at Walmart, Castrol Edge is $39.99 at Advanced Auto.

Looking in owner's manual 2.5T should be using 5W-30 in the US.

Page 6-25

https://www.mazdausa.com/siteassets/pdf/owners-optimized/2019/cx-5/2019_cx5_om.pdf

Screen%20Shot%202018-12-22%20at%2012.24.26%20PM.png

OT: I see this was discussed in CX-9 forum about 2.5T's maintenance requirement of 40K mile spark plug changes.

EDIT: Wonder if Mazda will come out with a branded 5W-30 w/Moly?

LM2039.jpg

Last edited:
Has anyone used the Mexico recommendation of 5W-30 instead of the USA recommendation of 0W-20 in their CX-5 2.4l?

This question brings back memories of our banned friend, GJ-Molester, and his ranting about running 5W-30 instead of 0W-20 in the 2.5L engine.
I can't remember how it all ended, but it was a pretty heated thread. Ah, the memories.

It'd be interesting to see how far the Flex schedule allows the turbo to go on an oil change. On my '16, the Flex setting allowed me to go past the 8500 mile mile on an oil change...a tad high for the first oil change IMO.
Yes, for '16 CX-5 Flexible OCI can be up to 10,000 miles or 12 months depending on the driving habit. But Mazda changed the programming since '17 and now the Flexible OCI is up to 7,500 miles or 12 months.

In theory 2.5T would demand better oil with turbo. And the recommended oil viscosity has changed to thicker 5W-30 on 2.5T.

Looking in owner's manual 2.5T should be using 5W-30 in the US.

Page 6-25

https://www.mazdausa.com/siteassets/pdf/owners-optimized/2019/cx-5/2019_cx5_om.pdf

OT: I see this was discussed in CX-9 forum about 2.5T's maintenance requirement of 40K mile spark plug changes.

EDIT: Wonder if Mazda will come out with a branded 5W-30 w/Moly?
2.5T uses thicker 5W-30 oil but it did cause some problems on oil change service for these CX-9 owners even at Mazda dealer. Some Mazda OEM 5W-30 oil is not synthetic, and other conventional 5W-30 oils are also readily available, dealers would use these non-synthetic 5W-30 oil for oil change on 2.5T. It definitely is not a good practice as turbo engine requires full synthetic oil.

Yes the maintenance frequency and cost on 2.5T definitely will be higher than naturally aspirated 2.5L.

I cut and pasted this from a 2011 article by Edmunds https://www.edmunds.com/car-maintenance/top-7-urban-legends-about-motor-oil.html

5. When you buy a new car, change your oil at 3,000 miles to remove metal particles from the engine break-in process. There might be a grain of truth to this, according to the experts at Blackstone. Oil samples from engines during the first 3,000 miles of driving show elevated "wear-in" metal levels, coming from the pistons and camshafts, says Ryan Stark, Blackstone's president. But he added, "To me, it doesn't make that much difference because if the filings are big enough to cause damage, they will be taken out by the oil filter."

However, a Honda spokesman says its cars come from the factory with a special oil formulation for the break-in period. Honda advises owners to not change the oil early. Stark said Blackstone Laboratories' test of Honda's break-in oil shows it contains molybdenum-disulfide, an anti-wear additive. But Stark said Honda is the only manufacturer he knows that's using special break-in oil. The take-away? If there are any special break-in recommendations from the manufacturer, follow them. And consider analyzing the oil at 3,000 miles.
Excellent information. People who insist to change oil at the first 1,000 miles are worried about wear-in metal debris but the fact is any of these should get caught by oil filter.

And Honda has been using moly-rich factory break-in oil for many years and the owner's manual has specofically stated that owners shouldn't change factory oil early in Break-In section. IMO, I definitely wouldn't change my first oil early on my new Honda's. Mazda has said the Mazda moly oil has been used for factory fill. Keep it there for at least 5,000 miles should be a proper way to do.

And Honda has been using moly-rich factory break-in oil for many years and the owner's manual has specifically stated that owners shouldn't change factory oil early in Break-In section. IMO, I definitely wouldn't change my first oil early on my new Honda's. Mazda has said the Mazda moly oil has been used for factory fill. Keep it there for at least 5,000 miles should be a proper way to do.

If your new Honda is a CR-V (or any model) with the 1.5L turbo, I would caution you and any other Honda owners to check the oil as often as possible, especially if you are in a cold climate.
You may be going to the dealership every thousand miles for free oil changes to keep the gas out and the engine alive.
Honda has still not come up with a fix for this problem.
Just a heads up.

If your new Honda is a CR-V (or any model) with the 1.5L turbo, I would caution you and any other Honda owners to check the oil as often as possible, especially if you are in a cold climate.
You may be going to the dealership every thousand miles for free oil changes to keep the gas out and the engine alive.
Honda has still not come up with a fix for this problem.
Just a heads up.
He has an older CR-V if I recall.

Interesting.

I had a 17 CRV (new version with the little turbo). Nice enough car but very basic feeling. Interior especially. Lots of tech but plain Jane feel overall. Blah to drive too.

Traded a Ram 1500 pickup straight-up for it. Then traded it in on a new F150 three months later. Not for any real reason, just missed having a truck.

He has an older CR-V if I recall.
Yes I have a gen-1 1998 Honda CR-V with 182,532 miles and I bought it new. At that time Honda didnt say anything in the owners manual that the break-in oil is used from factory and owners need to keep it there until the normal specified OCI. I made the first oil change around 1,000 miles on my CR-V like every new vehicle Id owned in the old days.

I have 3 local friends owning 17 and 18 Honda CR-Vs. One is an LX and its naturally aspirated 2.4L definitely has no oil dilution issue. The other 2 with 1.5T have no oil dilution issue either. Like Honda has said, the issue is happening in colder areas on short trips. Honda said the fix is there and has applied to 2019s 1.5T. Honda said the same thing when Chinese CR-V owners were having the same complaint earlier this year.

IMO every direct-injection gasoline engine would have this tendency of oil dilution in colder environment including our CX-5 as evidenced by some reports by this forum members. One said his oil dilution issue which had been bothering him for many years eventually got fixed with an ECM software update. Honda had said the same thing with an ECM software update to resolve the oil dilution issue in China.

DI 1.5T from Honda is nothing unique in hardware design comparing to others, hence a better software programming in ECM should be able to have oil dilution issue under control like every other DI engine with turbo.

Have never done anything special during break-in period. Drove the cars as fast as I wanted, never worried about maintaining steady speeds, or strong acceleration. Have never had any problems, and having driven for 55 years, that's a lot of cars. I do change oil religiously, and more often than manufacturers recommendation. Some people would say that you don't have to change oil that often, but i look at it as relatively cheap maintenance.

Figure I*ll ask here...

I do my own oil changes too and am wondering how easy of a job is it changing oil and filter on the 5 (2019)? Is it a cartridge filter style filter or canister? Easy access to everything?

Back