Break-in/first oil change on 2.5T

Skittles

:
Cx-5
I scooped a 2019 Sig last night. Can't find anything about break in period in manual, or doing the first oil change early. Anybody know what the deal is?

You will find different voices giving you advice.
Some will say do it at 1K. Others at 3K and you will find some, as me, who did it at 5K.
Followed the instructions on the manual for the first 1-1.5k to drive it at different speed, not keeping it constant for many miles.
Choose a mileage that you feel confortable with and enjoy the ride on your new car![emoji3]

Conventional wisdom is that it's not as important as it used to be due to better manufacturing.
It's odd that you can't find it in your manual.
Here's what my manual says:
Break-In Period
No special break-in is necessary, but a
few precautions in the first 1,000 km
(600 miles) may add to the performance,
economy, and life of the vehicle.
***Do not race the engine.*
**Do not maintain one constant speed,
either slow or fast, for a long period of
time.
* **Do not drive constantly at full-throttle or
high engine rpm for extended periods of
time.
***Avoid unnecessary hard stops.*
**Avoid full-throttle starts.
* **Do not tow a trailer.

Should be similar for the turbo.

There's a maintenance schedule A and B in the 2019 owner's manual and the break-in advice cited above^^. Just like in every other Mazda O/M printed in the last 15 years. Sounds like someone needs to spend some quality time reading this book.

I scooped a 2019 Sig last night. Can't find anything about break in period in manual, or doing the first oil change early. Anybody know what the deal is?

Yep as suggested, no racing, steady rpm driving, hard braking, full throttle takeoffs, etc. until 600 miles.

There is no reason to change oil early. The MAZDA MOLY oil installed from the factory is as good as it gets. Leave it in there until your first normal change mileage.

Per owner's manual:

No special break-in is necessary, but a few precautions in the first 1,000 km (600 miles) may add to the performance, economy, and life of your Mazda.

Do not race the engine.
Do not maintain one constant speed, either slow or fast, for a long period of time.
Do not drive constantly at full-throttle or high engine rpm for extended periods of time.
Avoid unnecessary hard stops.
Avoid full-throttle starts.
Do not tow a trailer.

I am going to change my oil at 2K miles, for the first change. The only thing it can hurt is my piggy bank. I know it is not necessary but I feel like I want to get break in particles out of the oil pan.

I am going to change my oil at 2K miles, for the first change. The only thing it can hurt is my piggy bank. I know it is not necessary but I feel like I want to get break in particles out of the oil pan.

Ive done similar. Cant say if it did good or bad, but it made me happy and its my money, sooo...

All new CX-5 owners should utilize "Flexible" schedule for the oil change. It's set to this way from factory and recommended by Mazda unless your dealer changed it to "Fixed". Oil life monitor is there for the reason and do check your Maintenance Monitor or Vehicle Status Monitor making sure it's set to "Flexible" on "Oil Change" when you pick up your new CX-5, turbo or not.

All new CX-5 owners should utilize "Flexible" schedule for the oil change. It's set to this way from factory and recommended by Mazda unless your dealer changed it to "Fixed". Oil life monitor is there for the reason and do check your Maintenance Monitor or Vehicle Status Monitor making sure it's set to "Flexible" on "Oil Change" when you pick up your new CX-5, turbo or not.

It'd be interesting to see how far the Flex schedule allows the turbo to go on an oil change. On my '16, the Flex setting allowed me to go past the 8500 mile mile on an oil change...a tad high for the first oil change IMO.

Getting my first Mazda (since 2012) next week but...I*m not sure Mazda has anything similar but Honda engines come off the line with a special additive in the oil and they specify you must not do first oil change until a specific # of miles.

Last edited:
You will find different voices giving you advice.
Some will say do it at 1K. Others at 3K and you will find some, as me, who did it at 5K.

Different opinions abound regarding this subject, for sure.
Personally, I'm still old school on this subject, meaning I support an early first oil change.
I agree that the manufacturing processes are certainly better today than in the past, but in my own mind, I still felt better about changing my oil early and getting rid of any contaminants that may be left over from the engine build.

As far as breaking it in, you just need to use some common sense in the first thousand miles or two.
Don't push it, is the easiest way to say it. No hard acceleration, high revving, rabbit starts, hard stops, etc. Pretty much what the manual says.
Enjoy.

Honda engines come off the line with a special additive in the oil and they specify you must not do first oil change until a specific # of miles.

Yup, Honda wants to make sure you get plenty of gas mixed in with the oil before you change it.....lol

Yup, Honda wants to make sure you get plenty of gas mixed in with the oil before you change it.....lol

Whelp I can*t argue with the engine longevity I*ve gotten from all the Hondas I*ve owned. If the Mazda gets 75% of the miles I*ll be happy.

The two other things I do during break in is, let it idle a little longer to warm up, especially since it is winter and cold now. About two minutes. Then drive it to reach normal operating temperature. The grocery store is so close to me that I now go the long way to get there. And I let it idle for 20 seconds or so before turning it off. Again it is not necessary to do this, but it can't hurt and might be beneficial in the long run.

Getting my first Mazda (since 2012) next week but...I*m not sure Mazda has anything similar but Honda engines come off the line with a special additive in the oil and they specify you must not do first oil change until a specific # of miles.

Honda didn't want their break in oil changed too early to the very slippery synthetic oil which takes longer for break in. Does Honda still recommend this? I have to google to find out.

I am in the change it early camp. Its a personal decision but I feel better getting the break in materials out. I usually change around the 1000 mile mark. My next change depends on my oci schedule which in the case of the CX5 is 5000 miles.

If you are worried about changing out the high Moly oil the solution is to replace the factory fill with the Mazda Moly oil which is available online or Idemitsu Zepro which is a excellent oil as well.

Honda didn't want their break in oil changed too early to the very slippery synthetic oil which takes longer for break in. Does Honda still recommend this? I have to google to find out.

Honda actually uses a high moly break-in oil. Synthetic oils are no slicker than any other oils. Addpack is everything.

I cut and pasted this from a 2011 article by Edmunds https://www.edmunds.com/car-maintenance/top-7-urban-legends-about-motor-oil.html

5. When you buy a new car, change your oil at 3,000 miles to remove metal particles from the engine break-in process. There might be a grain of truth to this, according to the experts at Blackstone. Oil samples from engines during the first 3,000 miles of driving show elevated "wear-in" metal levels, coming from the pistons and camshafts, says Ryan Stark, Blackstone's president. But he added, "To me, it doesn't make that much difference because if the filings are big enough to cause damage, they will be taken out by the oil filter."

However, a Honda spokesman says its cars come from the factory with a special oil formulation for the break-in period. Honda advises owners to not change the oil early. Stark said Blackstone Laboratories' test of Honda's break-in oil shows it contains molybdenum-disulfide, an anti-wear additive. But Stark said Honda is the only manufacturer he knows that's using special break-in oil. The take-away? If there are any special break-in recommendations from the manufacturer, follow them. And consider analyzing the oil at 3,000 miles.

Back