2017~2024 2018 Mazda CX5 GT (Canadian spec) - strange noises

boncastro

:
2018 Mazda CX-5 GT
Hi everyone, I am new in here and have some worries with my brand new Mazda CX5 with 4500km.

I have been having the following issues and have not bring it in to the dealership yet as I want to know first if these issues that I am having are normal.

-Jerky when shifting from park to reverse as I have never experience these much jerk from other cars.

-Having the car parked for a while with the electronic parking brakes on, as soon as I let go of the parking brake and starts driving, after a few meters, there is always a strange clunk sound as if something just got released, but after that initial clunk, I will not hear it for the rest of the drive.

-When slowing down, when the transmission shifts down and I think it's around 3rd to 2nd or 2nd to 1st gear, I can hear something as if there is something loose in the transmission.

Please let me know if you guys are also having the same issues or hearing these strange sounds from your Mazda CX5.

Thank you.

Hey I'm in Miss. too and have an 18 with 4500 km's, but not experiencing what your describing sorry. Take it in to the dealer (Erin Mills Mazda?) to have a look and document what you're hearing...

Are you sure you're releasing the e-brake? You have to have the brake pedal depressed to release the e-brake. If not and you pull away you will hear a clunk as the brake disengages.

As far as the tranny problem I would have the dealer evaluate it.

Are you sure you're releasing the e-brake? You have to have the brake pedal depressed to release the e-brake. If not and you pull away you will hear a clunk as the brake disengages.
That's why I always release the EPB manually. I really don't like that little "jerk" when it releases automatically.

Yes this could be the issue, I will try and depressed the brake pedal and see if that helps.

As for the tranny, I test drove one of my friends cx5 and I think it is normal that something always feels lose.

Thank you for all the people that responds here. Really appreciate it.

Update on the car,

Took it to the dealer and they couldn't find any solution.

Any ideas on when the car starts rolling there will be a slight knock/pop sound from the front end. After that noise then nothing at all.

If anyone else are experiencing this please let me know.

Thank you.

that clunk is normal if it is the one I think it is.
Usually happens only once right after you start moving and if the car has been stopped/parked a for while.

Jesus, these newer CX-5s with EPB clunk when you start driving? Sounds awful.

Regarding the transmission jerk, I have maybe 3 times in the last 6 years I've owned mine had it jerk going from Park to Reverse. I have never figured out why, and it always catches me a little off guard. If it's happening a lot, doesn't sound normal to me. I chock mine up to maybe not pushing down on the brake enough when I was shifting? I don't know.

The clunk could be the parking brake sticking. Haven't picked up my CX5 yet but on my Golf with the EPB I hear that noise after a lot of driving in the wet and the car sitting overnight. Especially in cold temps. In your case does it ever happen during the day randomly? Is it only happening in the morning as you first start to drive?

If your car is running and sitting for a while. Could the clunk be the cylinder deactivation ? I'm not sure how the engine is set up for when It activates this feature, but possible?

If your car is running and sitting for a while. Could the clunk be the cylinder deactivation ? I'm not sure how the engine is set up for when It activates this feature, but possible?

Cylindar deactivation is only activated at certain speeds I believe. I don't think it would be making a clunk at idle.

It would not.
@Colorado that clunk is a safety feature. If you forget to disengage your parking brake, it won't let you drive on it.

One will here a definite clunk if the vehicle is parked on a hill (decline or incline).
Not sure why but that seems universal with every auto I've owned.

Back