2019 CX-5 Reviews

Credit where credit is due for Mazda getting so much positive press out of this event. Almost every reviewer states the opinion that the CX-5 is best in class, some even compare it to the RDX. And notice that when they finally get to open it up a little, the universal reaction is "oh yeah!"

Did anyone else notice that in the Redline review, he has two different cars? He shows one when he's doing the liftgate that has the parchment interior which has to be a GTR, and then the Signature when he starts on the interior.

Yup. And it didnt have the 360 camera either.

Did anyone else notice that in the Redline review, he has two different cars? He shows one when he's doing the liftgate that has the parchment interior which has to be a GTR, and then the Signature when he starts on the interior.

Good catch! The white interior was shot somewhere else at a different time. Note the cinder block background. Might even be an 17 or 18 GT.

The comments section he says it's actually because Canada doesn't allow the 360-degree camera, but the US version will have it. The truth is somewhere in there.

Yup I heard that as well.
If true. I wonder why not?

The comments section he says it's actually because Canada doesn't allow the 360-degree camera, but the US version will have it. The truth is somewhere in there.

Yup I heard that as well.
If true. I wonder why not?

On the Mazda Canada spec page, neither the 360 degree camera nor the front/rear parking sensors are listed. Looks like the main differences other are appearance / finish (brown Nappa leather, trim, frameless mirror, gray vs silver wheels).

The price difference is less, though. ($1500 CAN/1120 US between Canadian GTR and Signature vs $2020 US/2703 or a US GTR vs Signature).

https://www.mazda.ca/en/shopping-tools/build-price/#/ON/2019/CX-5

I like these reviews but I wish the guy on Redline would slow down his talk. Good to see these in actual winter conditions. It reminded me of the Colorado testing videos.

On the Mazda Canada spec page, neither the 360 degree camera nor the front/rear parking sensors are listed. Looks like the main differences other are appearance / finish (brown Nappa leather, trim, frameless mirror, gray vs silver wheels).

The price difference is less, though. ($1500 CAN/1120 US between Canadian GTR and Signature vs $2020 US/2703 or a US GTR vs Signature).

https://www.mazda.ca/en/shopping-tools/build-price/#/ON/2019/CX-5

Really odd that the Canadian Signature doesn't come with parking sensors or the 360 camera because the value prop for just a nicer interior isn't that great. If it came with the parking sensor and the 360 camera then I'd happily pay the diff of $2000-2500. I've pinged Mazda Canada on Twitter to see what they have to say about it.

Last edited:
I like these reviews but I wish the guy on Redline would slow down his talk. Good to see these in actual winter conditions. It reminded me of the Colorado testing videos.

LOL, I always run these reviews at 1.25x cause they're so slooooooow.

Is that a typo 23 mpg combined? Pretty much CX-9 FWD numbers. 4000 lbs is my guesstimate. Wow that's backwards. Thats like carrying an 700 lb gorilla in Gen1 CX-5 Touring. 7.0 seconds to 60 and 23 mpg combined is really bad. 7 seconds makes sense as NA is 8.7. Man, Chris's 15 will smoke this. I guess its fast enough for Mazdas target audience.

Is that a typo 23 mpg combined? Pretty much CX-9 FWD numbers. 4000 lbs is my guesstimate. Wow that's backwards. Thats like carrying an 700 lb gorilla in Gen1 CX-5 Touring. 7.0 seconds to 60 and 23 mpg combined is really bad. 7 seconds makes sense as NA is 8.7. Man, Chris's 15 will smoke this. I guess its fast enough for Mazdas target audience.

I did not watch all the videos. Where are your numbers coming from?

One of those reviewers estimated 6.5 which sounds about right. Even if it turns out to be around 7, I'd gladly trade a few 0-60 tenths for the instant/seamless acceleration/torque. There's certainly more factors then a 0-60 number on a spreadsheet. Nothing I hate more in a turbo car then the dead pedal affect and a comparison of the RDX vs CX-5 sure brought this to light.

I bet if you put a sampling of regular drivers in each car without a stopwatch, they'll conclude the CX-5 is faster then a RDX.

My numbers are from tfl. It seems 7 with 87 and 6.5 with 93. 23 mpg was from tfl.
CD if you have a GT it's 3550 but Sport Touring are lighter. So a 91 tune on a gen1 will do it in 7 seconds with the added advantage of getting about 27-28 mpg vs 2.5T which is 23. Just goes to say what a superior drivetrain 2.5NA was/is.

Well you know when the cx-9 first came out. The US version did not have heated steering wheel but the Canadian version did.

Really odd that the Canadian Signature doesn't come with parking sensors or the 360 camera because the value prop for just a nicer interior isn't that great. If it came with the parking sensor and the 360 camera then I'd happily pay the diff of $2000-2500. I've pinged Mazda Canada on Twitter to see what they have to say about it.

Back